Visit to the capital

Started by Hereiam, May 30, 2014, 12:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Guys just looking a bit of advice.
I have a hospital appointment in London on the 14th July. I have never been to London before. I was thinking of flying into Heathrow for 9.00am. Google is saying that it will take approx. 1hr 15min to get to the hospital. My appointment is at 1:00 so I have plenty of time to get there. It is the trip home that concerns me. I reckon that I would need to leave the hospital at 4:30 in order to get to the airport for the 7:40pm flight home.
Seeing that this is rush hour is this the latest that I can leave it?
What would be the best way to travel Taxi or Tube. It is the University College Hospital that I have to attend.

5 Sams

Heathrow Express from Paddington is the quickest.
The Aristocrat Years

Hotshot Hamish

So London is The Capital. I thought Dublin was our Capital!

AZOffaly

Where is that hospital? I used to be over and back to Holburn/Kingsway and either got the Heathrow Express or the Tube back out. The tube is only about a £5, and the Express was £30 I think. The Express goes to from Paddington, and the Blue line (Picadilly) goes all the way out to Heathrow. Takes about 45 mins from central london. The Express takes 15-20 mins I think.

thewobbler

You'll be dead on.

The Heathrow Express is expensive but at a 20 minute walk / 3 tube stops from the hospital, you've no reason not to be in Heathrow within 45 mins of leaving the hospital. But to be honest, if I was you I'd save myself £20 and get the Tube from Heathrow to Holborn. Buy a day pass after 9.30am and it won't cost more than £10/£11 for that. Holbiorn to Heathrow will be about 50 mins.

Heathrow's security checks can mean horrendously long queues, just bear that in mind.

God14

4:30 would sound about right, leaving you plenty of time

Avoid Taxi's as the traffic is hellish! The congestion charge worked for a little while but people have accepted it now & its back to square 1. It will be much quicker for you to get the tube. You will be getting the piccadilly westbound tube from central london to Heathrow on your way home. Keep an eye on the TFL website for status updates on the day, but generally speaking its very reliable

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/

Aaron Boone

I once went to Cockfosters on that Piccadilly Line. There's nothing there.

Sidney

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 30, 2014, 03:05:31 PM
I once went to Cockfosters on that Piccadilly Line. There's nothing there.
Sounds like a beer promotion in an Australian-themed gay bar.

Hereiam

T Fearon

3 and a half hour hospital appointment? Are you having a heart Transplant?

All of a Sludden

Maggie Thatcher wasn't wrong when she said you were as British as Finchley.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

CD

Quote from: Hotshot Hamish on May 30, 2014, 12:56:38 PM
So London is The Capital. I thought Dublin was our Capital!
Don't rise to it. Steady. 'Patience will achieve more than our force.'
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Hardy

Wow! What an interesting set of responses to a man's question about a hospital appointment. It's a toss- up in the crassness championship between barstool constitutional lawyers and Fearon's ... ah I don't know ... class?

T Fearon

Nonsense. I'm the undisputed champion of crassness!

T Fearon

Question was framed in a crass way "have to be at hospital at 1pm but would need to leave at 4.30pm" essentially to catch homeward flight? Like as if you decide the time you leave hospital,as if it was a visit to the Zoo or something.

I realise this was probably unintentional on behalf of Hereiam,and naturally I hope his or her requirement to attend hospital is of a non serious nature,and also that the outcome of the visit is positive.