Vote

Started by Feckitt, May 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2015, 02:41:51 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 08, 2015, 10:48:33 AM
I vote for Sinn Fein because they are an abstentionist party. If they changed that policy I wouldn't vote for them.

When I want to support abstention, I abstain.
I am a pioneer except for the beer

bennydorano

The real sad state of affairs is that SF despises the SDLP more than Unionism. Shows where thier priorities really lie.

dec

Quote from: bennydorano on May 08, 2015, 08:44:19 PM
The real sad state of affairs is that SF despises the SDLP more than Unionism. Shows where there priorities really lie.

The name calling gives it away.

They really hate the stoops and the stickies and the blueshirts.

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2015, 09:20:56 PM
I vote for Sinn Fein because they are an abstentionist party. If they changed that policy I wouldn't vote for them.
Can I just ask? You are happy for them to sit in Stormont & Dáil Éireann? You are happy for leading members to shake hands with the Queen etc? Their principles that back up abstentionism have been reneged countless times when it has suited them.
Door shut horse bolt.

Indeed!! Heaven forbid Sinn Fein could be part of the solution at Westminster its too easy for them to sit on the sidelines and criticise!!!

gardrumchum

Can I just ask? You are happy for them to sit in Stormont & Dáil Éireann? You are happy for leading members to shake hands with the Queen etc? Their principles that back up abstentionism have been reneged countless times when it has suited them.
Door shut horse bolt.

My God the Stoop Further party when you put it like that  :o

armaghniac

Quote from: gardrumchum on May 08, 2015, 11:22:14 PM
Door shut horse bolt.

My God the Stoop Further party when you put it like that  :o

SF are not great on the stooping, but show remarkable nimbleness when executing U turns.

I think that Sinn Féin should be spelt with a small s, as the collective they are referring to is themselves and not the country at large.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Quote from: foxcommander on May 08, 2015, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 08, 2015, 08:25:21 AM
Quote from: GJL on May 08, 2015, 07:41:56 AM
Well done to the SDLP. Effectively handed Tom Elliot victory.  >:(
That assumes those who voted SDLP would have voted SF, granted only 20% of them would have had to switch.

Despite already knowing FST was simply a sectarian headcount they still chose not to vote SF.

I hope they are proud of themselves today assisting that knuckledragging mong to victory.
Not content with leaving it at his previous comments on the GAA he used the opportunity on the platform to have a go at Bobby Sands as well.

That's representation for you.
Someone who will represent one side of the community in parliament or someone who will represent neither?

You could just as easily direct your ire at the 18,600 eligible voters who did not cast their vote at all.

Nigel White

Mind you, you might as well be an abstentionist party rather than adopting the 'its not what you are but who you are' policy the SDLP adopted in Newry/Armagh. Plucked Justin McNulty from nowhere and put him forward as a Westminster candidate, then selected ROI politicians who were diametrically on the opposite end of the spectrum as regards political ideology to canvass for him.  The poor guy was out of his depth.  Its like using money and influence to get a kid with a Grade F in the 11+ into a grammar school.

Maguire01

But it was ok when they changed their policy to abstain from the Dail... and then Stormont...

ziggysego

Quote from: foxcommander on May 08, 2015, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 08, 2015, 08:25:21 AM
That assumes those who voted SDLP would have voted SF, granted only 20% of them would have had to switch.

Despite already knowing FST was simply a sectarian headcount they still chose not to vote SF.

I hope they are proud of themselves today assisting that knuckledragging mong to victory.
Not content with leaving it at his previous comments on the GAA he used the opportunity on the platform to have a go at Bobby Sands as well.

That's representation for you.

Please be mindful of the language used here.
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

Catch a grip. The electorate handed Tom Elliott victory. Nobody made anyone vote SDLP. The 2,732 people that voted SDLP knew exactly how close this race was, yet they decided not to vote for Gildernew. If the SDLP hadn't run, they may well have stayed at home, or even voted for Elliott. Some people in Fermanagh will never vote SF under any circumstances, and that's entirely justified.

Funny how you're not taking any issue with O'Muilleoir threatening a nationalist seat in South Belfast. If the notion of handing seats to unionists was such a big issue, SF would have stepped aside in South Belfast, whether it was reciprocated in FST or not.

LCohen

Quote from: Nigel White on May 09, 2015, 02:48:29 PM
Mind you, you might as well be an abstentionist party rather than adopting the 'its not what you are but who you are' policy the SDLP adopted in Newry/Armagh. Plucked Justin McNulty from nowhere and put him forward as a Westminster candidate, then selected ROI politicians who were diametrically on the opposite end of the spectrum as regards political ideology to canvass for him.  The poor guy was out of his depth.  Its like using money and influence to get a kid with a Grade F in the 11+ into a grammar school.
I assume SF selected Pat O'Doherty, Francie Molloy and Paul Maskey for their intellectual heft? And that selection was from their successful candidates.

Nigel White

It's not about intellect its about political acumen and involvement in local community groups Whilst I'm not a spokesperson for SF I understand the 3 people you single out all have a long history of community/political involvement Justin didn't. Who can we expect next as a candidate - Nathan Carter perhaps?

LCohen

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 09, 2015, 04:36:08 PM
Catch a grip. The electorate handed Tom Elliott victory. Nobody made anyone vote SDLP. The 2,732 people that voted SDLP knew exactly how close this race was, yet they decided not to vote for Gildernew. If the SDLP hadn't run, they may well have stayed at home, or even voted for Elliott. Some people in Fermanagh will never vote SF under any circumstances, and that's entirely justified.

Funny how you're not taking any issue with O'Muilleoir threatening a nationalist seat in South Belfast. If the notion of handing seats to unionists was such a big issue, SF would have stepped aside in South Belfast, whether it was reciprocated in FST or not.

I did not vote SF. I have never voted SF. I cannot see the circumstances where I would vote SF. There is certainly a rump within nationalism (and those raised in a nationalist background) who will note vote SF. An electoral pact which runs a SF but not an SDLP candidate in a constituency might get people to vote SF for the first time. It then becomes less of a leap to vote for them down the line. That is the SF interest in pacts.

Election of a SF MP brings in a MP's salary and expenses into the SF coffers. It does feck all for the constituents. It is a wasted vote in westminster terms.

Maguire01 is correct. Anybody suggesting that SDLP handed Tomosaurus victory in FST must be livid with SF's decision to contest the S. Belfast race.

LCohen

Quote from: Nigel White on May 09, 2015, 04:58:22 PM
It's not about intellect its about political acumen and involvement in local community groups Whilst I'm not a spokesperson for SF I understand the 3 people you single out all have a long history of community/political involvement Justin didn't. Who can we expect next as a candidate - Nathan Carter perhaps?
Define political acumen if it is entirely separate from intelligence

I make no comment on O'Doherty's involvement in republicanism but i'm told that his involvement in politics is to put a suit on every 5 tears to make an acceptance speech of 10 or 12 words. Usually on 2 syllables or less