Vote

Started by Feckitt, May 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Hereiam on May 08, 2015, 10:33:30 AM
Screenexile are you for real. You do understand that Westminster will keep the quality of life for the majority of people in this part Ireland lower than the rest of the UK. U may move to England if you want all them thinhs on ur wish list.

All the more reason for SF to get in there and fight our corner! As somebody said they would probably get more votes if they took their seats.

ballinaman

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2015, 10:45:25 AM
The significance of the Scottish vote is being overlooked by most commentators. This is easily on a par with the 1885 or 1918 elections and in Salmond they're sending down arguably the most able politician in these islands. Devomax for the Scots will have to be granted quick-sharp or they'll wreck the place long before it even gets to the EU referendum stage. The UK is f**ked every which way.
And by the man in the street. I think the No vote last year has made the English think the situation is done and dusted.

gallsman

Quote from: ballinaman on May 08, 2015, 11:08:53 AM
The significance of the Scottish vote is being overlooked by most commentators. This is easily on a par with the 1885 or 1918 elections and in Salmond they're sending down arguably the most able politician in these islands. Devomax for the Scots will have to be granted quick-sharp or they'll wreck the place long before it even gets to the EU referendum stage. The UK is f**ked every which way.
And by the man in the street. I think the No vote last year has made the English think the situation is done and dusted.

It is for now. The huge SNP vote is a vote for a stronger Scottish voice in overall terms and collecting on the promises made after the strong No showing in September. Don't think that will correlate directly to a significant increase in the Yes vote in the event of another referendum any time soon.

Ulick

Quote from: Canalman on May 08, 2015, 10:55:23 AM
Beat me to it Ulick .

Depends really whether Sturgeon is a  C. S. Parnell or a John Redmond. To be dramatic about it Salmond could be the Isaac Butt of the story.

Think the penny will have dropped by now in Whitehall that the Scots (well c50% of them anyway) are calling in the promises made before the referendum last year.

Seems to be a genuine partnership between the two of them though and they've played their hands perfectly since before the referendum. That result is even looking like it was the best outcome for them now. The north has proven itself again to be a basket case and the only hope now is the Scots wreck the place forcing Ulster unionists to come into the modern world. Going to be a lot of pain before things get better.

Sinn Féin needs a mid-level change in the north with fresh ideas to get momentum back before the elections next year but I don't see where it's going to come from. Personally I'd send Eoin Ó Broin and Pádraig Mac Lochlainn into the Assembly to steady the ship or give the young southerners a higher profile in the north until new people can be brought through.

johnneycool

Quote from: gallsman on May 08, 2015, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 08, 2015, 11:08:53 AM

It is for now. The huge SNP vote is a vote for a stronger Scottish voice in overall terms and collecting on the promises made after the strong No showing in September. Don't think that will correlate directly to a significant increase in the Yes vote in the event of another referendum any time soon.

The Yes vote in Scotland will increase if the promises made by Cameron and Co are not kept, which in all likelihood will be the case now that Dave has a majority.

Pub Bore

Looks like the Tories will get 331 seats, a working majority of approx 16/17 (I'm allowing for the fact that SF and Alasdair McDonnell dont turn up!!)

Farage steps down as UKIP leader...sort of.

Clegg and Miliband about to go.  The Tories have decapitated all of their main rivals bar the SNP.

deiseach

The Tories had a majority of 25 after the 1992 election. Didn't stop them tearing themselves apart over Europe. History will repeat itself, except both times it'll be farce.

LeoMc

Quote from: topcuppla on May 08, 2015, 10:33:35 AM
Quote from: Canalman on May 08, 2015, 10:28:31 AM
SF caught out a bit with the "running with hare and hunting with the hounds" in being in government on the one hand and trying opposition politics on the other hand.
Not sure looking from afar how it can balance the two.

Stunning win for the Tories tbf. Fine Gael will cut and paste their election strategy for next year's GE.

We are aff fecked now anyways as the tories will probably need the DUP with such a small majority.

They are more likely to scrap the Barnett formula and cut funding to Holyrood and Stormont to keep middle-England comfortable and out of the arms of UKIP.
If they are clever they will do just enough to keep Scottish nationalism bubbling without boiling over to ensure the SNP is just strong enough to leave Labour nowhere near strong enough to form a Government.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on May 08, 2015, 11:36:01 AM
The Tories had a majority of 25 after the 1992 election. Didn't stop them tearing themselves apart over Europe. History will repeat itself, except both times it'll be farce.
Exactly. They needed a much bigger majority

Pub Bore

Alisdair McDonnell's victory in S Belfast was achieved securing 24.5% of the votes.  Apparently that's the lowest vote share to win a seat in a Westminster election...ever!

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 08, 2015, 10:48:33 AM
I vote for Sinn Fein because they are an abstentionist party. If they changed that policy I wouldn't vote for them.

??????????????
"Stercus accidit"

muppet

I vote for Sinn Fein because they are an abstentionist party. If they changed that policy I wouldn't vote for them.

When I want to support abstention, I abstain.
MWWSI 2017

Keyser soze

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2015, 02:41:51 PM

When I want to support abstention, I abstain.

Fill your boots chap.

foxcommander

Quote from: LeoMc on May 08, 2015, 08:25:21 AM
Quote from: GJL on May 08, 2015, 07:41:56 AM
Well done to the SDLP. Effectively handed Tom Elliot victory.  >:(
That assumes those who voted SDLP would have voted SF, granted only 20% of them would have had to switch.

Despite already knowing FST was simply a sectarian headcount they still chose not to vote SF.

I hope they are proud of themselves today assisting that knuckledragging mong to victory.
Not content with leaving it at his previous comments on the GAA he used the opportunity on the platform to have a go at Bobby Sands as well.

That's representation for you.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

lfdown2

Does anyone know where I could find bills voted on in the house of commons? As well as which MP's were in attendance and which way they voted - I would be interested to see in the previous term what real affect our representatives had.