Dubl$n v Laois Sunday June 8th 2014 Dubl$n at home as always

Started by Dont Matter, May 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 23, 2014, 12:51:51 AM
Dublin also played derry away in a qualifier in 2003. Just to add to the roll call of away matches in the last 15 years. I also remember Dublin playing away on leinster during the all.Ireland year in 95- remember Jayo's goal without his boot?

Ah the nostalgia of the Dublin actually playing away...
#newbridgeornowhere

Bud Wiser

Well be the holy smoke ?  Is there any point in Laois turning up at all? The current poster boys, albeit in possession of Sam because Mayo got the yips when it was handed to them on a plate, have not alone this game won but this years All-Ireland the way ye are chattering on here. Wait 'till ye see the start to this game and the Dubs defense like an oul wan at a Lidle check out trying to keep up with the checkout operator because once the first two go over and Dub's can't catch up panic will set in.

For the last ten years I've been listening to "Laois are too light" (or too fond of the beer) and if we put out an Under 7 team in the Feile some poor child would be used to take a swipe at Colm Parkinson or Billy Sheehan. Well it's foooking pay back time and even if we put out our second team (Parnell's) you can be guaranteed a better fight than some of the has been counties that stretches meaning of delusion beyond all bounds, particularly Tyrone, Donegal, Derry, well any Ulster team really. 

The other thing is this bullshit about us being a small county with high emigration. For fooks sake, we are not in the middle of a famine or going around in our bare feet so spare the sympathy, we have as good a team as most and better than a lot and what's more we are unlikely to end up playing with thirteen players because our goalkeeper goes out and gives somone a fung up the hole for no reason at all or one of our forwards loses the plot over the slightest dig. 

Paddy Power should give us the same odds in football as has been given to our hurlers to win the Leinster, 100/1 and maybe Peter McKenna should have arrangements made for Croke Park staff to have little food parcels as handouts when our poor destitute supporters arrive on Sunday.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

J OGorman

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 23, 2014, 12:51:51 AM
Dublin also played derry away in a qualifier in 2003. Just to add to the roll call of away matches in the last 15 years. I also remember Dublin playing away on leinster during the all.Ireland year in 95- remember Jayo's goal without his boot?

a match that should have been in Celtic Pk was moved to Clones to lessen the pain of the Dubs and take Derry away from home

Bud Wiser

Nothing has changed, nordies still rule and a thread about next Sunday's game between Laois and Dublin is turned into a debate about Dublin and fooking Derry about half a century ago.  Can someone tell me why Dublin are odds on to win by about 40 points or why I am hearing "if we get out with less than a 12 point loss it will be a good result??
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

easytiger95

Welcome back Bud - good to see a bit of proper Laois cut back on the board - you'd be more of a Hairy Hughie Emerson man than a Wooly wannabe.  As regards us being favourites, perhaps its because that, apart from 2003, we were well able for you back in the mid noughties when we weren't winning All Irelands. That said, we only really blew you out in one of them, and it took Mossie's free taking to get us through the last Leinster final we contested.

Last time we played you in the League as well we destroyed you - O'Gara was unplayable that night in Portlaoise as i remember.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 23, 2014, 12:03:22 PM
Well be the holy smoke ?  Is there any point in Laois turning up at all? The current poster boys, albeit in possession of Sam because Mayo got the yips when it was handed to them on a plate, have not alone this game won but this years All-Ireland the way ye are chattering on here. Wait 'till ye see the start to this game and the Dubs defense like an oul wan at a Lidle check out trying to keep up with the checkout operator because once the first two go over and Dub's can't catch up panic will set in.

For the last ten years I've been listening to "Laois are too light" (or too fond of the beer) and if we put out an Under 7 team in the Feile some poor child would be used to take a swipe at Colm Parkinson or Billy Sheehan. Well it's foooking pay back time and even if we put out our second team (Parnell's) you can be guaranteed a better fight than some of the has been counties that stretches meaning of delusion beyond all bounds, particularly Tyrone, Donegal, Derry, well any Ulster team really. 

The other thing is this bullshit about us being a small county with high emigration. For fooks sake, we are not in the middle of a famine or going around in our bare feet so spare the sympathy, we have as good a team as most and better than a lot and what's more we are unlikely to end up playing with thirteen players because our goalkeeper goes out and gives somone a fung up the hole for no reason at all or one of our forwards loses the plot over the slightest dig. 

Paddy Power should give us the same odds in football as has been given to our hurlers to win the Leinster, 100/1 and maybe Peter McKenna should have arrangements made for Croke Park staff to have little food parcels as handouts when our poor destitute supporters arrive on Sunday.

Hopeful posting from a Laois point :) . Can't really see panic setting in if Dublin trail at any stage. In recent years, have been behind against Donegal, Kerry (twice), Meath, Kildare and Mayo and won.
Unless Laois have their best game in years and Dublin their worse with sending off or two, expect a comfortable if unspectacular opening win for Dublin.

The Boy Wonder

Canalman

Always had a soft spot for Laois. Some ding dong battles with them in the 00s . Reckon one of the Leinster Finals played which I think we won by a point or two was one of the most enjoyable games I was ever at.
Watched an U21 final in Thurles some years ago when Laois imo threw away  an AI v Cork. Remember it because I actually was genuinely peeved that they lost.

Having said that in long list of counties that don't like us they probably are at the head of the queue.

Zulu

QuoteWatched an U21 final in Thurles some years ago when Laois imo threw away  an AI v Cork. Remember it because I actually was genuinely peeved that they lost.

Was at that game and like you, I was very disappointed Laois lost. They really threw that game away and it seems Cork got more players from those squads too.

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Canalman on May 23, 2014, 03:46:45 PM
Always had a soft spot for Laois. Some ding dong battles with them in the 00s . Reckon one of the Leinster Finals played which I think we won by a point or two was one of the most enjoyable games I was ever at.
Watched an U21 final in Thurles some years ago when Laois imo threw away  an AI v Cork. Remember it because I actually was genuinely peeved that they lost.

Having said that in long list of counties that don't like us they probably are at the head of the queue.

I wouldn't necessarily agree - personally I support the Dubs when they get out of Leinster but we have our share of clowns amongst our supporters.

I'm hoping that Laois will get a decent following on the day and the lads empty the tank.

Bud Wiser

Ye lost an All-Ireland Final to Cork as well because ye left Conal Keaney on the bench and watched the game disappear
before your eyes when he should have been brought on.  But all that was then and this is now.  I think once the auto-feeders are checked and working in the cattle sheds and we have a full head count on the bus our lads will come up and give this a lash. Look at it this way, ye are probably playing the third best county in the country on Sunday, while at the same time if we did win we would not be going out saying we will win the next five All-Ireland's in a row. Also, Laois and Dub's are able to stir a nice bit of slagging between each other and I like that, except when ye start pointing at the scoreboard.

laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 23, 2014, 05:59:59 PM

Ye lost an All-Ireland Final to Cork as well because ye left Conal Keaney on the bench and watched the game disappear
before your eyes when he should have been brought on.  But all that was then and this is now.  I think once the auto-feeders are checked and working in the cattle sheds and we have a full head count on the bus our lads will come up and give this a lash. Look at it this way, ye are probably playing the third best county in the country on Sunday, while at the same time if we did win we would not be going out saying we will win the next five All-Ireland's in a row. Also, Laois and Dub's are able to stir a nice bit of slagging between each other and I like that, except when ye start pointing at the scoreboard.

Or throwing full bottles of water from the Hill at our minors......
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

PaddyP73

if can keep down to 6 points will be happy, think O'Flaharta will employ tactics he used with Westmeath. could mean parking 2 buses on front of goal  ;)

squire_in_navy_slacks

Well chappers, mutiny in the Dublin camp, can the laois footballers do what their hurlers did the weekend and show some real courage and conviction in nearly taking the galway horde down ????

Syferus

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 03, 2014, 11:13:57 AM
Well chappers, mutiny in the Dublin camp, can the laois footballers do what their hurlers did the weekend and show some real courage and conviction in nearly taking the galway horde down ????

No.