Dubl$n v Laois Sunday June 8th 2014 Dubl$n at home as always

Started by Dont Matter, May 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 22, 2014, 02:03:38 PM
Why should every Dublin game be there, if there was crowds like that. Not like the Leinster council are milking it from those attendances

If they're not then why are the Leinster counties voting for it?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2014, 02:16:14 PM
Why should every Dublin game be there, if there was crowds like that. Not like the Leinster council are milking it from those attendances

Good question Zulu, but I think there's no doubt that 30k in Croke Park (for a double header which probably meant the first game had 10-15k max) is a dire spectacle. From an atmosphere point of view alone, I'd prefer to see a crowd of 12k in Tullamore for Offaly Kildare, and 25k in Portlaoise for Westmeath Dublin.

Johnnybegood

What Yiz are all forgetting to mention that every Leinster semi final has been played in croker as a double header for the past good few years. So teams like Meath and Kildare are also playing their games there. Is it an advantage for them? I think johnny Doyle has played near 50 champo games in croker.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 02:28:10 PM

Good question Zulu, but I think there's no doubt that 30k in Croke Park (for a double header which probably meant the first game had 10-15k max) is a dire spectacle. From an atmosphere point of view alone, I'd prefer to see a crowd of 12k in Tullamore for Offaly Kildare, and 25k in Portlaoise for Westmeath Dublin.

I agree but these counties are voting to play in CP rather than have it in Tullamore or wherever.

QuoteWhat Yiz are all forgetting to mention that every Leinster semi final has been played in croker as a double header for the past good few years.

I think the Dubs can be a bit to quick to claim criticism of them is anti-Dub, it's more a case of people having a go at the top team. Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry weren't widely loved by the nation either. I wouldn't be too sensitive about people questioning the Dubs, if it was Meath in your position then the frequency of Meath's involvement in CP games would also be a topic of discussion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

I agree but these counties are voting to play in CP rather than have it in Tullamore or wherever.

I agree, and I think it's lose lose. I'm not convinced that the net total of attendees would be significantly less in Portlaoise, and I'm sure the cost of renting Croker from Central Council could offset any shortfall.

I also think from an atmosphere and general 'event' point of view, that crowd in a provincial venue would be more colourful, vibrant and exciting.

The Hill is Blue

We've had this debate on at least three or four threads already. Will every thread supposedly devoted to Dublin's games this summer degenerate into this?

Dublin have won 52 Leinster titles and most of their games in those championships were played outside Croke Park. The Dublin team of the 70s won six titles in a row, again mainly playing outside Croke Park. The cold fact is that consistently and in every generation Dublin has been one of the top teams in Leinster and I've no doubt that they will continue to be no matter where they play their games. 

The Dublin U21s didn't seem to suffer any ill effects of having to play in Tullamore a few weeks back.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

heffo

As would seemingly every stakeholder involved except the management committee's of the Leinster counties.

I'm dreading Croke Park on the 8th - I've a pain in my hole with Croke Park and would love to be travelling to Portlaoise

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on May 22, 2014, 03:03:50 PM

As would seemingly every stakeholder involved except the management committee's of the Leinster counties.

I'm dreading Croke Park on the 8th - I've a pain in my hole with Croke Park and would love to be travelling to Portlaoise

I'd love to see the math heffo. These people are not idiots, I'm sure there's some revenue models or something that show projections that it's more profitable to have the games in Croker. I see no other reason why Offaly's delegate would vote for giving Dublin home advantage for e.g.

Rossfan

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 22, 2014, 01:40:18 AM
. Other Leinster counties are hardly going to vote for Dublin to play outside Croker when it would kill us financially.
That's hardly true of the Quarter finals in Leinster is it?
Is it all just about money or does fairness and competitiveness and spreading business around come into it?.
I know if I had a shop/pub in Wexford/Tullamore/P'laoise/Carlow etc I would like to see at least Leinster Qtr finals involving Dublin being home/away and I wouldn't look too kindly on any GAAite looking for money off me till such a system came in.
Sure if Provincial Championships are only all about generating revenue it's time the Munster Council made the annual Cork/Kerry Final a two legged affair. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Zulu on May 22, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

QuoteWhat Yiz are all forgetting to mention that every Leinster semi final has been played in croker as a double header for the past good few years.

I think the Dubs can be a bit to quick to claim criticism of them is anti-Dub, it's more a case of people having a go at the top team. Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry weren't widely loved by the nation either. I wouldn't be too sensitive about people questioning the Dubs, if it was Meath in your position then the frequency of Meath's involvement in CP games would also be a topic of discussion.
good point Zulu, we truly are a nation of begrudgery but when it comes to the dubs it is definitely cranked up a few notches. Spillane in his Sunday world column mentioned dublins home advantage yet forgot to mention Cork and kerry being seeded in Munster to enable them enter the final round of qualifiers.
As I've said before if your good enough! Any pitch, anytime, anywhere !

AZOffaly

Ara this 'everyone is agin us' is hard to listen to as well in fairness. Dublin's importance to the GAA has been well documented and financially reinforced. Nearly everyone on this board, and elsewhere , has acknowledged Dubin as a great team at the moment, and with brilliant underage structures. If that's begrudgery, then I think you have a loose definition of begrudgery. Don't take one lad's constant roaring as reflective of the entire country.

I'm just asking for a few games outside Croker to spice up the early rounds a bit. But if the Leinster Council, made up of all the counties, vote for Christmas, what can I do about it? :D

I'd be inclined to put more pressure on the Offalys of the world to up our own game, get fair funding from the GAA and spend it well.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 04:19:26 PM
Ara this 'everyone is agin us' is hard to listen to as well in fairness. Dublin's importance to the GAA has been well documented and financially reinforced. Nearly everyone on this board, and elsewhere , has acknowledged Dubin as a great team at the moment, and with brilliant underage structures. If that's begrudgery, then I think you have a loose definition of begrudgery. Don't take one lad's constant roaring as reflective of the entire country.

I'm just asking for a few games outside Croker to spice up the early rounds a bit. But if the Leinster Council, made up of all the counties, vote for Christmas, what can I do about it? :D

I'd be inclined to put more pressure on the Offalys of the world to up our own game, get fair funding from the GAA and spend it well.

This has been discussed at lengths on several threads. I don't think any Dub would actually care where these opening games are played.

It seems ludricuous though to bring it up as an advantage in a game V Laois! Dubln are overwhelming favourites and no venue would change that. Would be more interesting on a match thread  if we could discuss how Laois approach such a game or indeed Dublin. Unfortunately the OP of the thread is becoming a one joke Dub obsessive.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2014, 04:19:26 PM

another very good post! I too would like the early rounds to be outside croker, loved the road trips back in the day! Only thing is moving Dublin out of croker for the early rounds won't make a tad bit of difference to the supposed advantage.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

easytiger95

Dublin also played derry away in a qualifier in 2003. Just to add to the roll call of away matches in the last 15 years. I also remember Dublin playing away on leinster during the all.Ireland year in 95- remember Jayo's goal without his boot?