Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 11:37:28 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 02, 2014, 11:25:07 PM
Feeney would be a positive for me and although I'd be unpopular for saying this , I'd start him before Dillon .At the end of the day though , Roscommon are not great at the back and I can't see how they have improved that much from 12 months ago in this department , I expect Cillian to run riot tbh.

Evans might attempt to go Mcguinness on this game and park 13 players in behind .

Don t get me wrong. I personally rate Richie Feeney very highly. I m not sure Management does though and last year's final seems to suggest that they don t because that game was crying out for him. The last 20mins were made for him. If they didn t consider him there, where do they use him?

To talk to the media, apparently.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 02, 2014, 11:45:02 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2014, 11:37:28 PM
Feeney would be a positive for me and although I'd be unpopular for saying this , I'd start him before Dillon .At the end of the day though , Roscommon are not great at the back and I can't see how they have improved that much from 12 months ago in this department , I expect Cillian to run riot tbh.

Evans might attempt to go Mcguinness on this game and park 13 players in behind .

Don t get me wrong. I personally rate Richie Feeney very highly. I m not sure Management does though and last year's final seems to suggest that they don t because that game was crying out for him. The last 20mins were made for him. If they didn t consider him there, where do they use him?

To talk to the media, apparently.

Apparently so. 

moysider

Feeney would be a positive for me and although I'd be unpopular for saying this , I'd start him before Dillon .

At the end of the day though , Roscommon are not great at the back and I can't see how they have improved that much from 12 months ago in this department , I expect Cillian to run riot tbh.

I doubt it but I dunno to be honest. I ve never been less familiar with a Roscommon team in all my life.
But a couple of things. People seem to have forgotten that Donegal have won an AI in '12 with a system that was refined to to as close to perfection as can be realistically achievable. It s very unlikely that Roscommon can relpicate that kind of game, from Div. 3,  because while they have quality players they don t have the players like Lacey that can make that game work. Evans is a Kerry man and I doubt that type of game is in his DNA.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 12:41:49 AM
Feeney would be a positive for me and although I'd be unpopular for saying this , I'd start him before Dillon .

At the end of the day though , Roscommon are not great at the back and I can't see how they have improved that much from 12 months ago in this department , I expect Cillian to run riot tbh.

I doubt it but I dunno to be honest. I ve never been less familiar with a Roscommon team in all my life.
But a couple of things. People seem to have forgotten that Donegal have won an AI in '12 with a system that was refined to to as close to perfection as can be realistically achievable. It s very unlikely that Roscommon can relpicate that kind of game, from Div. 3,  because while they have quality players they don t have the players like Lacey that can make that game work. Evans is a Kerry man and I doubt that type of game is in his DNA.

Evans is no football purist. He employed those very tactics last year against Tyrone and had them reeling. Belief on our part was all that was needed to translate the performance into a victory. Evans is a very adaptable manager and I'm sure he's thought long and hard about what set-up gives us the best chance of beating Mayo.

Haven't a clue how he'll approach this game. Last year we actually competed well around the middle for the first 25 minutes - it was 0-07 to 0-04 around that point and we'd missed two frees and been on the end of Michael Duffy's usual antics - but it didn't make much difference. You could see all confidence ebb away from us when Mayo took control of the game. Tactics were out the window after that.

More than any blanket defense everyone knows Mayo's strength lies in 5-9. Crowding and contesting that area effectively would have a huge effect on Mayo's ability to score and play the game they want to. None of which means we can actually exploit Mayo there but if we make this game a game where possession is shared we'll always fancy our chances of our forwards making something happen with that much of the ball, we shouldn't be as mentally frail as we were last year.

weareros

Ironically the Kerryman did try a makeshift version of the blanket against Tyrone last year and I think he even made himself sick because he has not gone back to it in the league. Then again there was little need.

Farrandeelin

Seriously? Then ballinaman's team is correct with Diarmuid O'Connor replaced by Dillon. I don't rate Dillon anymore I'm afraid. There on name only. I might be wrong though. Someone wrote that he was no better than the man he replaced in NY.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 03, 2014, 07:24:59 AM
Seriously? Then ballinaman's team is correct with Diarmuid O'Connor replaced by Dillon. I don't rate Dillon anymore I'm afraid. There on name only. I might be wrong though. Someone wrote that he was no better than the man he replaced in NY.

Parsons unlikely to start from ballinaman's 15.

You might not rate Dillon but in his defence we haven t seen a fully fit Dillon in years and if he is back fully fit then that is a big + for us imo. Besides who else is there? O Connor the younger has not done enough to convince me he is able for it yet. Hopefully he ll get there in time.

Anyway it s just guesswork on our part and indeed the local media as well. We ll have to wait and see what team is announced. Indeed it is hard to see how exactly 6 forwards from Andy, Kevin Mac, Dillon, Doherty, COC and Freeman would shape up.
I expect the Bear Brothers will be the midfield with Parsons held in reserve and Duffy to come on as well of course ;)

muppet

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

You might not rate Dillon but in his defence we haven t seen a fully fit Dillon in years and if he is back fully fit then that is a big + for us imo. Besides who else is there? O Connor the younger has not done enough to convince me he is able for it yet. Hopefully he ll get there in time.

Anyway it s just guesswork on our part and indeed the local media as well. We ll have to wait and see what team is announced. Indeed it is hard to see how exactly 6 forwards from Andy, Kevin Mac, Dillon, Doherty, COC and Freeman would shape up.
I expect the Bear Brothers will be the midfield with Parsons held in reserve and Duffy to come on as well of course ;)

It would be easy to make a 6 out of that based roughly on the positions they made their inter-county names in.

10. Kevin 11. Andy. 12. Alan D.. 13 COC. 14. Alan F. 15 Doc

Pull COC out a bit behind the other 2 and I would be very happy with that 6.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 12:14:56 PM

It would be easy to make a 6 out of that based roughly on the positions they made their inter-county names in.

Agreed Muppet.

Mayo News said Parsons has a hamstring problem. I reckon he would have started otherwise.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2014, 12:30:51 PM

Agreed Muppet.

Mayo News said Parsons has a hamstring problem. I reckon he would have started otherwise.

Instead of?

I agree about the 6 Muppet has chosen on paper but I can t see it work in reality. There is only one wing forward in it ( Kevin Mac). Even a fully fit again Dillon would not have the mobility needed to chase back if chosen there. We might get away with it for a few games but would eventually get caught again. I don t like Andy playing 11 either because he tries too many speculative kick passes that don t come off. I' d prefer 10. Kevin Mac 11. COC 12. Doherty 13. Dillon. 14. Andy 15 Freeman. But as I say I m not convinced about them as a unit.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 12:41:08 PM

Agreed Muppet.

Instead of?
Dillon.
With SOS or AOS at centre forward. Heard Dillon wasn't too hectic vs Castlebar.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2014, 12:47:17 PM

Agreed Muppet.

Instead of?
Dillon.

Surely ye've seen enough of AOS at CF to know it doesn't suit him?

He'd be a CB's dream match-up, someone like Daly who loves to pour forward would run him ragged. He's just too immobile in defence to match-up on anyone but a midfielder. I don't think he has the vision to be as much of a pivot in the passing game as you need your CF to be.

He's an All-Star midfielder and with the right partner he can be the best midfielder in the country. I think it'd be madness switching him around again.

SOS at 11 might be worth a look.

Rossfan

Syfín, your fascination with all things  Rhubarb is embarrassing.
Let them stew in their own difficulties and worry instead about how we can stop them running up a cricket score against our porous defence and non tackling midfielders and forwards..
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Agreed Muppet.

Instead of?
Dillon.

That d make more sense but I still don t see a no.12. Doherty never seems to get on enough ball outside and Andy wouldn t appear to have the legs for it. I was hoping Adam Gallagher would be there by now but I dunno what happened to that project? Strange one that. In spite if Syfín's heart rendering concern for him at 11 I d like to see AOS at 11. If we re on top around the middle his marker might have more to be doin that haring up the field.

Collie Brolly

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 01:59:45 PM

Niall Daly is daft enough to go haring up the field regrardless of what's happening behind him.Himself and the brother did it last year and left our fb line totally exposed.

Agreed Muppet.

Instead of?
Dillon.

That d make more sense but I still don t see a no.12. Doherty never seems to get on enough ball outside and Andy wouldn t appear to have the legs for it. I was hoping Adam Gallagher would be there by now but I dunno what happened to that project? Strange one that. In spite if Syfín's heart rendering concern for him at 11 I d like to see AOS at 11. If we re on top around the middle his marker might have more to be doin that haring up the field.