Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on May 27, 2014, 09:53:59 PM
I agree with you Bunker. Mayo are a better team than they looked that day, whilst Derry are not as good as they looked that day.. I suppose the big question is,, what will it take to get Mayo over the line this year, compared to 2012 and 13?

James H set the winning of the league as one of his main objectives and so apparently did Jim Gavin and probably the managers of all top sides wanted to win it too.
It was obvious- to me at any rate - that James was one unhappy bunny as the league progressed
At press conferences after every game, he criticised his own team's performance. I felt it was most uncharacteristic of the man who generally keeps his thoughts to himself but it showed the level of his frustration.  I can't blaame him for being pissed off but I thought it was very indiscreet of him to do his bollacking in puibilic.
It hardly did his team's morale and self-confidence any good.
Furthermore, he didn't discover any major new talent during the league campaign. Adam Gallagher looked promising okay but he is no longer on the panel and the only member of last years panle to show a significent increase i form as Jason Gibbons and now the poor hoor is banjaxed and going to miss the early championship games.
Bejaysus, our tales of woe has no end in sight.
However, all is not lost yet and I wouldn't dwell on the fact that many regard Mayo as the #2 team in the land. For one thing, last year's peformances have no bearing on this year's form. For another, even considering the notion is a tacit acceptance that we are not #1 and won't be either for the coming season.
Mayo arre nothing if not battle-hardened and experienced and if the lads have it in them to forget the failures of recent years and can repeat the level of intensity they possessed last year, they will be in with a chance of getting over the proverbial line.

For them to do that, Cillian O'Connor and Andy Moran need to be at their very best and surely to God, James will come up with some change of tactics upfront to offset the defiencies of the last two years. 
If all the cards drop into place Mayo will be up there with the best of the rest but forget any acceptance that we're only #2, it's a case of shit or burst. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

ballinaman

If the game was this Sunday, I reckon it would look like...
Hennelly
Cunniffe,Caff,Higgins
Vaughan,Boyle,Keegan
Parsons,SOS
DOC,AOS,Jason Doc
COC,Andy,Kevin Mc

Chimley

Quote from: ballinaman on May 28, 2014, 08:54:06 AM
Hennelly
Cunniffe,Caff,Higgins
Vaughan,Boyle,Keegan
Parsons,SOS
DOC,AOS,Jason Doc
COC,Andy,Kevin Mc

I'd swap AOS and SOS, and Kevin Mc and Jason Doc but otherwise I'd agree. Young Gallagher seems to have paid a heavy price for one substandard showing against Kerry. He looked far closer to being ready than Diarmuid O'Connor in the few early games.

larryin89

I wouldn't bother with mcgloughlin in the corner, don't think he can have the same impact as when he's further out .

Not sure about parsons in midfield for this game, we need to throw our weight around and put in a few big hits at the start , just to get the measure of what this lot are made of and no better buck than AOS to do it.

Baffled by the Gallagher situation and is that a fact he's not a panel member? Outstanding against both Kildare and Tyrone. Did look a bit shook up when the Kerry boys wrapped him a few times. Surely that's to be expected whilst getting used of the tempo and should of featured in Dublin game to test him further.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Hennelly
Cunniffe,Caff,Higgins
Vaughan,Boyle,Keegan
Parsons,SOS
DOC,AOS,Jason Doc
COC,Andy,Kevin Mc

No Barry? Easily Mayo's most complete midfielder.

Farrandeelin

FFS lads. Ballinaman is just picking what he thinks Horan will pick. That's how I read it anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 28, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
FFS lads. Ballinaman is just picking what he thinks Horan will pick. That's how I read it anyway.
correct.

larryin89

And I'm just adding my twopence worth to the team he thinks Horan will pick. Ffs Farr, will ya cool down man. Lol

Shrewdness

larryin89

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on May 28, 2014, 01:18:48 PM
correct.

And that's what my question is based on too - why is Moran so low down on the totem pole with Horan? Was All-Star calibur in 2012 and hasn't got a look in since his injury last year.

Edit: I guess the injury explains why he's not going to get a shot now.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on May 28, 2014, 01:14:33 PM
Hennelly
Cunniffe,Caff,Higgins
Vaughan,Boyle,Keegan
Parsons,SOS
DOC,AOS,Jason Doc
COC,Andy,Kevin Mc
No Barry? Easily Mayo's most complete midfielder.
Dunno what the story is with Barry. But if he's fit, he's a better all-rounder then either of the Bears.
I honestly think that Seamus and Aidan would get a midfield place on any team in the land but not both on the same team. They are too similar in style and can be outfoxed by the likes of Macauley and O'Sullivan- a perfect combination of mobility and muscle.
It's one hellluva pity that Jason Gibbons is not available for he'd be the perfect foil for either. His improvement in form this year has been outstanding. I don't know how fit Parsons or Barry are right now but if they are playing well enough, one of them would give more options at midfield.
Pity the same can't be said about the forwards.
Horan is certainly not spoilt for choice in that department. I don't think we will be beaten in Connacht but thereafter, the shortcomings up front will be exposed once more unless Horan comes up with new tactics or players or preferably both. I wouldn't play  Kevin Mac in the corner. |This was tried and it didn't work. He needs space to manoeuvre as he's exclusively left-footed and can be closed down easily. Same goes for Varley- a very talented player but a total ciotóg.
Matter of fact, I  think that COC is the only two-footed player on the side.
That is hard to credit as it's something that can be rectified at an early stage with a bit of coaching.
BTW, any news on Chris Barrett? I think the backs Horan selected for the AI last year are the best to be found anywhere. Keith Higgins? He's needed upfront- I wouldn't move him back because of one poor performance.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on May 28, 2014, 01:57:20 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 28, 2014, 01:18:48 PM
correct.

And that's what my question is based on too - why is Moran so low down on the totem pole with Horan? Was All-Star calibur in 2012 and hasn't got a look in since his injury last year.

Edit: I guess the injury explains why he's not going to get a shot now.

You pretty much answered it there yourself Sy , injuries curtailed his involvement last year and the club run with Mitchels along with a couple of niggly injuries have kept him out so far this year. Throw in the form of Jason Gibbons along with the reemergence of Tom Parsons and this more than anything has him a bit down the pecking order more so than Horan not rating him.

We are truly blessed at the moment around the middle in terms of options. The forwards ? Well the writing is on the wall at the moment :'(.

Chris Barret made a second half appearance for Belmullet at the weekend as far as I know Lar.

Shrewdness

I think Barrett has rejoined the panel, but won't be considered for the Roscommon game.