Gavin Duffy Joins Mayo Panel

Started by Syferus, May 14, 2014, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 29, 2014, 02:19:00 PM
I just don't really understand why Horan is investing so much time and effort in a project player.
What harm can it do?
Parachuting someone into a senior intercounty squad who hasn't earned the right to be there can do a lot of harm.

Yeah for this season it could do a lot of harm although it depends on how much the squad trusts Horan's judgement. The majority of the lads on the squad now seem to trust him so apart form pissing off a few fringe players this could limit the immediate harm. Also Horan no matter what happens will not be manager next season so these players more than likely will be back.

My main point though is it can't be any more harmful than losing two All Ireland finals in a row , playing 8 finals in the last 25 years losing 7 drawing 1 and the drubbings in 2004 & 2006! We are already a laughing stock as far as the rest of the country is concerned with no team from Antrim to Wicklow fearing us if they came up against us in Croker in a serious match! At the moment we will always be seen as a soft touch to get out of the hat.

So when the inevitable happens again this year it is not as if the Duffy experiment will jump the que ahead of " no marquee forward , no bottle , the curse , poor basic skill execution , bad man management , mental bock in Croker , poor tactics etc... for the reasons why we can't win an All Ireland and it will just become another interesting foot note in a chapter in the "House of pain part 2 the revenge of SAM" ;D.

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 29, 2014, 02:44:37 PM
Think this is the key sentence from the whole article

"It was a very low-risk move on our part and there was only benefit in it"

Rossie must be kaking themselves at the thought of being part of this experiment because if he is brought on then you'd have to think he has proven to a certain level that he is capable and that they want to check if he can actually do it in championship

Personally I dont think he can, its too much to expect the positional sense of the top level can just be picked up after 15 years away and any mistake can cause you to lose a game

We'll worry about the Mayo football team before we start worrying about the Mayo rugby team.

Jinxy

Personally, I think the skills of gaelic football transfer much better to rugby than the skills of rugby transfer to gaelic football.
There has to be lads knocking around the club scene in Mayo that have similar physical attributes to Duffy but with the added benefit of actually having football in the last 10 years.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Joe Sheridan worked out well for Meath, even scored a try to win the Delaney Cup.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bojangles

From a Rossie point of view, please play him! We're happy to facilitate his re-introduction to the game and we promise to give him a new warm-up routine he won't have met in rugby up to now!

Jinxy

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 30, 2014, 09:18:44 AM

Meath men disclosing the Rossie's age old and highly secret training techniques!!  ;D
Not very manly behaviour from such a manly county! ;D ;D

Gael85

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 30, 2014, 10:26:04 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 30, 2014, 09:18:44 AM

Meath men disclosing the Rossie's age old and highly secret training techniques!!  ;D
Not very manly behaviour from such a manly county! ;D ;D

should this be in the "hug tackle" thread  :P

rodney trotter

Former Connacht Rugby captain and current Mayo footballer, Gavin Duffy, is returning to the province to take up a new role in the commercial department.

Duffy, who retired from rugby at the end of the season, has been appointed as a senior development executive within Connacht Rugby's commercial and marketing department on a full-time basis starting in July.

Currently playing with football with Mayo, Duffy says the appointment is his "dream job", enabling him to continue to have a role in his home province, having ended his playing career.

With a commerce degree from NUI Galway and a BA in strength and conditioning from Setanta College, Duffy says he wants to be a part of the club's future and "to help it go from strength to strength".

"Connacht is where I'm from and I've often spoken about the pride I felt playing for my home province. It's the same now that I've finished playing," he said.

"Being a professional player for so many years and in a club that has seen massive change in recent times, I have seen how crucial the off-field work is to the whole organisation. Having studied commerce, I've always taken an interest in the commercial side of things and enjoyed getting to know our sponsors and stakeholders who do so much in terms of helping the club to grow.

"There were other offers out there, but I had to weigh up my options, taking into account my family and where we wanted to be. But it wasn't a difficult decision when it came to taking this opportunity. It's definitely going to be a new challenge for me moving into the 'real' working world but I'm excited by it."

The 32-year-old will be charged with driving new business with local, regional and national enterprise, as well as continually developing and enhancing relationships with key stakeholders domestically and abroad.

Coming after the appointment of CEO Willie Ruane, another Ballina native, head of commercial and marketing Alex Saul says Duffy's appointment is a huge boost for the province.

"It is fantastic news for Connacht Rugby and the commercial team is greatly strengthened by this exciting addition. Gavin is one of Connacht's greatest ambassadors and has always demonstrated he has the skills and self-awareness to lead. He will bring great insight and energy to the role as well as his outstanding leadership qualities from his playing career.

"Gavin has the drive and ambition to be a part of what we are doing here and I can't think of anyone better to help us shape our off-field efforts going forward. His deep knowledge of the sport and the industry, combined with his commerce studies, as well as his tremendous passion for the club, leave us in no doubt that he will make this role a success."

http://t.co/hnybLyL5lb

Syferus

Connacht Rugby to get a new bus after Sunday.

Crete Boom

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2014, 12:27:39 PM
Former Connacht Rugby captain and current Mayo footballer, Gavin Duffy, is returning to the province to take up a new role in the commercial department.

Duffy, who retired from rugby at the end of the season, has been appointed as a senior development executive within Connacht Rugby's commercial and marketing department on a full-time basis starting in July.

Currently playing with football with Mayo, Duffy says the appointment is his "dream job", enabling him to continue to have a role in his home province, having ended his playing career.

With a commerce degree from NUI Galway and a BA in strength and conditioning from Setanta College, Duffy says he wants to be a part of the club's future and "to help it go from strength to strength".

"Connacht is where I'm from and I've often spoken about the pride I felt playing for my home province. It's the same now that I've finished playing," he said.

"Being a professional player for so many years and in a club that has seen massive change in recent times, I have seen how crucial the off-field work is to the whole organisation. Having studied commerce, I've always taken an interest in the commercial side of things and enjoyed getting to know our sponsors and stakeholders who do so much in terms of helping the club to grow.

"There were other offers out there, but I had to weigh up my options, taking into account my family and where we wanted to be. But it wasn't a difficult decision when it came to taking this opportunity. It's definitely going to be a new challenge for me moving into the 'real' working world but I'm excited by it."

The 32-year-old will be charged with driving new business with local, regional and national enterprise, as well as continually developing and enhancing relationships with key stakeholders domestically and abroad.

Coming after the appointment of CEO Willie Ruane, another Ballina native, head of commercial and marketing Alex Saul says Duffy's appointment is a huge boost for the province.

"It is fantastic news for Connacht Rugby and the commercial team is greatly strengthened by this exciting addition. Gavin is one of Connacht's greatest ambassadors and has always demonstrated he has the skills and self-awareness to lead. He will bring great insight and energy to the role as well as his outstanding leadership qualities from his playing career.

"Gavin has the drive and ambition to be a part of what we are doing here and I can't think of anyone better to help us shape our off-field efforts going forward. His deep knowledge of the sport and the industry, combined with his commerce studies, as well as his tremendous passion for the club, leave us in no doubt that he will make this role a success."

Another Mayo man who made the jump from pro rugby back to football albeit only at club level togging out for knockmore after he finished with Connacht in 1999. Also he is a first cousin of Duffy.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 05, 2014, 12:50:29 PM

Another Mayo man who made the jump from pro rugby back to football albeit only at club level togging out for knockmore after he finished with Connacht in 1999. Also he is a first cousin of Duffy.

For Knockmore ? Marked him in a county minor semi-final where he lined out at 14 for the Stephenites.

Jinxy

Sounds a bit risky.
Is Duffy any good with computers?
Would he have the finger/eye co-ordination required for operating a calculator at this level?

stephenite

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 05, 2014, 01:35:09 PM

For Knockmore ? Marked him in a county minor semi-final where he lined out at 14 for the Stephenites.

Married a Knockmore woman (from a football family), so he lined out with her club one year. But like his cousin, from the Quay. He played a North Mayo junior final for the Stephenites way back when but I'm not sure he ever played Senior championship for the Stephenites.

Crete Boom

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 05, 2014, 01:35:09 PM

Yeah he was a Stephenites man (from the Quay) till he went pro on Rugby but when he came back to football he was living in Knockmore and had recently married a Knockmore woman ;) so there was no coming back to the Stephenites unfortunatley.