Roscommon vs. Letrim Connacht SFC QF, 18th May 2014

Started by Syferus, May 03, 2014, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2014, 07:59:23 PM
Lads like Enda and Murt have come back from losses before, I really don't buy into there being a hangover from an U21 final. If anything everything we've seen from them suggests a backlash is more likely.
Please tell us what we've seen as I haven't seen it.
Thanks oul paleen.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 09, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 09, 2014, 07:59:23 PM
Lads like Enda and Murt have come back from losses before, I really don't buy into there being a hangover from an U21 final. If anything everything we've seen from them suggests a backlash is more likely.
Please tell us what we've seen as I haven't seen it.
Thanks oul paleen.

How many near misses have they had? Last year alone Enda was involved in that horrific loss to Galway at U21 and bounced back to become a senior championship starter at the tender age of 18. Murtagh is one of the most well-grounded lads we've produced in quite some time. Worrying about losing the U21 final effecting the Leitrim game is a fool's gambit.

SLIGONIAN

Anyone know the throw in time? cannot find it on any website, JFC final is on at 13.00
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 09, 2014, 11:08:36 PM
Anyone know the throw in time? cannot find it on any website, JFC final is on at 13.00

3PM

Rossfan

Is that RÁS thingy hitting Ros town around final whistle time?
Better park around Fourmilehouse so.... :D

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Shrewdness

Using the NFL as a guide, you'd say that Roscommon should have too much for Leitrim. Whilst Ros were being promoted up into Div 2, Leitrim failed to be promoted from Division 4. But it's never as simple as that as this year's FBD Final proved. Ros will need to do a much better job on Emlyn Mulligan for starters.

Syferus

Emlyn Mulligan is a fair ould buck alight. People are thinking Leitrim will try to pump ball on top of Beirne and Carthy and hope good things happen but honestly I'd take that above Mulligan having ball in hand. With Gooch gone he makes a strong case for the most skilful player in the country.

Bojangles

Seen Mulligan play many times and especially against Brigids in the club championship last year and he really is a special player. Lovely balance, two-footed and quick. Would walk onto any county team in the country. 

Syferus

Quote from: Bojangles on May 12, 2014, 09:59:41 AM
Seen Mulligan play many times and especially against Brigids in the club championship last year and he really is a special player. Lovely balance, two-footed and quick. Would walk onto any county team in the country.

It was his last game for Melvin Gaels and you could see it in his face:

Still don't know how he managed to injury Frankie just after a Brigids free that day.

Collie Brolly

Mulligan will take watching.If we treat Leitrim with contempt we could be in bother.
History shows us that.If not,we should be looking at a 7/8 point win and a date with
The daydreamers. ;)

Rossfan

We need to treat the hoors with respect, do a flying start like we did in the Connacht U21 Final, get a few points up and force them to come out and play.
If we treat them with contempt, start at walking pace we'll find their "bus" parked in front of their full back line, we'll keep running into a brick wall, get frustrated and get them rus.
Then we could be in bother.
However I doubt Johneen will stand for any lackadaisical nonsense so expect a 6 point win and a date with them crowd.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

Nothing as sweet to start a championship off as a match against the Carrick robbers. Always a great atmosphere at these games.

Everything says we should win by six to eight but we all know the strange things that happen when Leitrim play at the Hyde - 1994, 2000, hell 2013. We have questions in the middle but I don't see Leitrim being the team that tells us if we've raised our game with breaking and collecting ball at midfield. How we deal with Mulligan and Wayne McKeon and who we put on them is critical to this being a comfortable or flirting with disaster when things are starting to look a little consistent for once. McKeon had acres of space to run into in the January game and out-shone even Mulligan at times.

Donie at 11 with Senan and Murt inside and Cregger playing a roving role has worked well this year but Leitrim will likely play deep and have at least one extra man on top of the inside two. All four can create space in their own ways so I'm not too worried about them getting chances if we can get the ball in their hands. Kicking the ball into the FFs when there's three defenders swarming on one yellow jersey is a sin we were guilty of too many times against Cavan.

I think we've got a good thing going right now, we just need a few championship wins to validate it in the minds of players and supporters.

larryin89

What a load of nonsense Syferus your last line or thereabouts is there, " a few championship wins, a win against laythrum " blah blah blady blah.

If you beat Mayo, your era begins , if you don't , it's back to next year already. Sin e.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .