Who/what can stop Dublin?

Started by ONeill, April 27, 2014, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
Kerry team recently had a great full forward line but O`Rourke, Stafford, Flynn would been the best full forward line i had seen playing

The Twin Towers term regarding Kerrys Full Forward line came about in 2008 and it was Tyrones own Twin Towers in the McMahon brothers who sorted that out. 

Harte cut out the supply to Donaghy and Walsh. If they had been left 1 v 1 they would have destroyed the Mc Mahons.

AZOffaly

Correct. I remember that game and Kerry being unable to break the Tyrone line that was set up about 50 yards out, therefore Kerry pumped in ball from 60 yards out, instead of 45 yards out, and Conor Gormley I think it was ate it up.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2014, 12:09:33 PM
Correct. I remember that game and Kerry being unable to break the Tyrone line that was set up about 50 yards out, therefore Kerry pumped in ball from 60 yards out, instead of 45 yards out, and Conor Gormley I think it was ate it up.

Or was it Enda McGinley?

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 29, 2014, 12:02:03 PM
Kerry team recently had a great full forward line but O`Rourke, Stafford, Flynn would been the best full forward line i had seen playing

The Twin Towers term regarding Kerrys Full Forward line came about in 2008 and it was Tyrones own Twin Towers in the McMahon brothers who sorted that out. 

Harte cut out the supply to Donaghy and Walsh. If they had been left 1 v 1 they would have destroyed the Mc Mahons.

There were a lot of one on ones that day, the McMahons wiped the floor with them.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

emmetryan

The main issue I have with Mayo as contenders is that their defence seems to have taken a big step back this season. They aren't tracking back as much as they were and their use of supporting defenders isn't what it was. Cork have the makings of a contender but they look a year away from really putting it up to Dublin. The biggest advantage Dublin have is depth. They have a bench which enables them to play a far more pressing game from the off than most counties can chance.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

AZOffaly

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2014, 12:19:48 PM

There were a lot of one on ones that day, the McMahons wiped the floor with them.

There was not.

thewobbler

It was the full unit of 6 year that I'd say was as good as you'll see.

Kennelly - O'Sullivan - Galvin
Walsh - Donaghy - Cooper

There was absolutely everything in that forward line, and a growing Walsh apart, all pretty much at their peak.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2014, 12:20:51 PM

There was not.

You were probably 10 sitting on your mammys knee!

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 29, 2014, 12:34:27 PM

There was not.

I can remember the build up was all about the damage Walsh and Donaghy would cause, and in the final there was a lot of high ball pumped in and between the two McMahons and Gormley most of it was swept up.  I would still view the 2005 forward line as the best:

Dooher, B McGuigan, R Mellon
P Canavan, S O'Neill, O Mulligan
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

aontroim abu

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 27, 2014, 11:11:34 PM
The only thing that could stop this Dublin juggernaut is Seamus Aldridge announcing his return to refereeing.

Never forgive him for '78, broke my heart that day. Should have been locked up for that one - WORSE THAN SLUDDEN!!!!

Schkite

Quote from: aontroim abu on April 29, 2014, 04:28:40 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 27, 2014, 11:11:34 PM
The only thing that could stop this Dublin juggernaut is Seamus Aldridge announcing his return to refereeing.

Never forgive him for '78, broke my heart that day. Should have been locked up for that one - WORSE THAN SLUDDEN!!!!

Let's not get hasty now.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2014, 02:10:16 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 29, 2014, 12:34:27 PM

There was not.

I can remember the build up was all about the damage Walsh and Donaghy would cause, and in the final there was a lot of high ball pumped in and between the two McMahons and Gormley most of it was swept up.  I would still view the 2005 forward line as the best:

Dooher, B McGuigan, R Mellon
P Canavan, S O'Neill, O Mulligan
i agree on that forward line being the best but only for a couple more years,

ballinaman

As many have said...probably going to be themselves....

So Philly took Connolly down UFC style and nearly took the head off him off the ball in a Ballymun vs Vincents match last week. Philly obviously waited for payback from the county final replay last year when he was sent off for an altercation with Connolly.

I wonder who Gavin will cut from the squad in the next few weeks if there is a cull..... ::)

Hound

Quote from: ballinaman on May 06, 2014, 12:20:27 PM
So Philly took Connolly down UFC style and nearly took the head off him off the ball in a Ballymun vs Vincents match last week. Philly obviously waited for payback from the county final replay last year when he was sent off for an altercation with Connolly.

I wonder who Gavin will cut from the squad in the next few weeks if there is a cull.....
Cool!

Great to have an eye witness account to unearth the truth as the grassroots boys and other reports I heard said there was only a face-to-face confrontation with no blows thrown.

UFC style take down and the head nearly taken off him! Jayz, it'll be a race against time to be fit for the championship.

ballinaman

Quote from: Hound on May 06, 2014, 02:40:28 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 06, 2014, 12:20:27 PM

I wonder who Gavin will cut from the squad in the next few weeks if there is a cull.....
Cool!

Great to have an eye witness account to unearth the truth as the grassroots boys and other reports I heard said there was only a face-to-face confrontation with no blows thrown.

UFC style take down and the head nearly taken off him! Jayz, it'll be a race against time to be fit for the championship.
Ha...true, maybe the player who was playing I was chatting to embellished the story a bit so, should be interesting to see how they get on over the summer!