Who/what can stop Dublin?

Started by ONeill, April 27, 2014, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

We do have this discussion most years. Except the team that can't be beaten changes colours every year.

----

Sure Tyrone were only coming into their prime in 2008, except for Dooher and Holmes. Turned out some of their younger players already had too many miles on the clock.

Kerry and the Twin Towers of 2009. Perhaps the best forward line of the past two generations, and one of the most balanced sides you'll ever see. It only took two of them to go to Oz to unbalance things.

Step forward Cork in 2010, when Counihan was just spoiled for choice. His bench was better than the starting team in 25 other counties. Nobody could complete with the Rebels' athleticism.

Dublin of 2011. They've finally kicked on and won the thing. And look at their profile, they're all children really; imagine what they'll be like when they come of age.

Donegal of 2012. The most clinical, disciplined and tactically astute team in the history of the world ever. There's just no breaking a team this focused. We might as well all give up now.

And now we start again with Dublin. Clinical, bla. Big squad, bla, bla. So athletic, bla, bla, bla.

----

Dublin are a tremendous team, and a joy to watch.

But for my money there's four teams in Ireland will give Dublin their absolute fill of it.

1. Kerry, just because they're Kerry, and when push comes to shove, they'll do whatever is necessary.
2. Donegal, who will simply play Dublin at their own game, and play 10 men back and hit counter attacks. Dublin would appear to be better at this, but on the day, things can happen.
3. Monaghan, who will find and apply the defensive shape needed to suffocate Dublin, and if both Finlay and McManus hit form on the same day, will be thereabouts.
4. Mayo, who are every bit as athletic as Dublin, and if they stay injury free, could almost go toe-to-toe. But confidence is always going to be a factor against.

Everyone else either won't have the defensive nous, or the athleticism to fend off Dublin once they get up a gear. But if any of those four get Dublin in a QF or SF, I'd be happy enough to see what price the bookies might be give for the upset.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Hound on April 28, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 28, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Hypothetically if Dublin was to split, who would be stronger?

North or South?
Northside far stronger in general, but would have a glaring weakness at midfield and possibly at full back too.

Good man Hound. I know MDMA and the Kilmacud lads are South side and obviously the Vincents lads North side.

I take it the Brogans are North? Where would Flynn and O Garas clubs lie?

Hound

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 28, 2014, 04:02:23 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 28, 2014, 03:50:12 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 28, 2014, 03:39:31 PM
Hypothetically if Dublin was to split, who would be stronger?

North or South?
Northside far stronger in general, but would have a glaring weakness at midfield and possibly at full back too.

Good man Hound. I know MDMA and the Kilmacud lads are South side and obviously the Vincents lads North side.

I take it the Brogans are North? Where would Flynn and O Garas clubs lie?

Northside team:

Cluxton
Daly - McMahon - Cooper
McCarthy- Brennan - McCaffrey
Fennell - McConnell   :o
Andrews - Connolly - Flynn
Brogan - Brogan - Costello

Soutsiders:
Keeper (Supple, Savage, Currie all northsiders)
Nelson - O'Carroll - Fitzsimons
O'Sullivan - Devereux - Nolan
Macauley - Bastick
3 new half forwards
McManamon - O'Gara - Mannion

Walter Cronc

Dunno what all the complaining is about. We could split ye's up rightly ;)

Good man!!

P.s Costello ahead of Rock??

Croí na hÉireann

Cluxton                                Carty/Molloy
   O'Brien McMahon Cooper         Fitzsimons O'Carroll Nelson
McCarthy Brennan McCaffrey       Nolan O'Sullivan Devereux
          Flynn Brady                          McCauley Bastick
    Cullen Kilkenny Connolly         O'Conghaile Vaughan Mannion
A Brogan Andrews B Brogan       Keaney O'Gara McMenamon

Edit: beat me to it Hound
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thewobbler on April 28, 2014, 03:59:49 PM
Dublin of 2011. They've finally kicked on and won the thing. And look at their profile, they're all children really; imagine what they'll be like when they come of age.

I think Dublin are coming of age this time. But we managed to annoy Cluxton when he was taking a kick out and I'm sure teams will do their utmost to get Connolly and a host of others sent off etc later on in the year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

theticklemister

f**k it.............

I'm gonna say it....................................................

I DON'T MIND THE DUBS

Redhand Santa

In answer to the above question it's going to take a fit disciplined team with a brave manager not afraid to push up on Dublin that can stop dublin.

They've showed at times over the last few years that they're brilliant when on top and on the front foot. But there have been serious weaknesses shown to when they've been put under pressure. They have problems in defence, even yesterday a Derry team far from their best could have hit 3 goals in the 1st half.

Watching the game yesterday and it was shown in last years final you can't sit back against Dublin and give them free men at kickouts. Yesterday Derry sat back and from the kickouts within 3 passes,Dublin had got a score without a finger put on them. Tyrone learned in omagh that they needed to drive Dublin back and put them under pressure.

Maybe it's even greater this year but there's been plenty of years were the prior year champs have been built up as being superior to everyone else only to fall come August.

INDIANA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 28, 2014, 10:12:36 PM
In answer to the above question it's going to take a fit disciplined team with a brave manager not afraid to push up on Dublin that can stop dublin.

They've showed at times over the last few years that they're brilliant when on top and on the front foot. But there have been serious weaknesses shown to when they've been put under pressure. They have problems in defence, even yesterday a Derry team far from their best could have hit 3 goals in the 1st half.

Watching the game yesterday and it was shown in last years final you can't sit back against Dublin and give them free men at kickouts. Yesterday Derry sat back and from the kickouts within 3 passes,Dublin had got a score without a finger put on them. Tyrone learned in omagh that they needed to drive Dublin back and put them under pressure.

Maybe it's even greater this year but there's been plenty of years were the prior year champs have been built up as being superior to everyone else only to fall come August.

Only Dublin can beat Dublin. And they may well do so in August. The mental challenge is the key- physically they are better then everybody else. But no back to back since 1990 with same manager for a reason........................................

To beat Dublin you need a bench of serious footballers. Thats how to beat them. Your top 6 subs have to be at least as good as those playing and maybe..............better

Captain Obvious

Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2014, 10:46:28 PM
Only Dublin can beat Dublin.
Without a doubt. The opposition simply not as good as they should be.

Wildweasel74

Kerry team recently had a great full forward line but O`Rourke, Stafford, Flynn would been the best full forward line i had seen playing

rrhf

not only are the dubs the best team in ireland if there was a world championship they would win that also.  believing their own hype is their biggest danger.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: rrhf on April 29, 2014, 07:00:49 AM
not only are the dubs the best team in ireland if there was a world championship they would win that also.  believing their own hype is their biggest danger.

I think you are right, we'd run away with a world title.
London and New York are progressive teams but think we'd take them in a world decider.

AZOffaly

I dunno. Them South African bucks that were here a few weeks ago would be a real danger. Mind you ye'd play them in Croke Park so ye'd have that advantage ;)

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 28, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
Kerry team recently had a great full forward line but O`Rourke, Stafford, Flynn would been the best full forward line i had seen playing

The Twin Towers term regarding Kerrys Full Forward line came about in 2008 and it was Tyrones own Twin Towers in the McMahon brothers who sorted that out. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'