Is there a total disconnect between GAA Officialdom and the grass roots?

Started by T Fearon, April 17, 2014, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

The president isn't a volunteer position Eamonn, you get paid whatever your getting paid in your normal job for the duration of your presidency.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Zulu on April 19, 2014, 01:11:25 AM
The president isn't a volunteer position Eamonn, you get paid whatever your getting paid in your normal job for the duration of your presidency.

Is it always like that? I thought it was only done for Christy Cooney for some reason.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 18, 2014, 07:51:06 PM
The biggest disconnect in the GAA, and the one that poses the bigger threat, is between the club game and the county game. If county managers have become so powerful that they can lobby a county board to put an entire club championship on hold, that's going to undermine the pipeline that produces future inter-county players. The GPA has an opportunity to step in here and start working for the benefit of club players, but as long as they focus exclusively on the county players I'll remain suspicious about their true motives.
+1

Redhand Santa

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 18, 2014, 05:02:15 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2014, 03:52:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the 2 euro goes to the clubs. It's a small gesture but every little helps and there a lot of clubs up and down the county. There's no doubt extra money earned will filter it's way to club and counties you just have to look at the accounts to see this.

50 clubs in Down - average of 130 members for example - 6,500 members in Down - €13,000 for Down
x 32 counties: €416,000

Don't know if this is entirely accurate, just an estimation - but adds up to f**k all.

How much is the GAA making (net profit) from summer concerts alone? €5m

Tell me, what is going to keep the GAA alive? - my opinion is the support of the clubs that continue to serve the local community, where today and tomorrow's stars are.

The GAA has a real chance of further embedding itself into local psyche and to make the sport the first choice of all people in the 32 counties. There are too many clubs suffering, too many clubs hanging on by a shoestring and just about coping.
Also, what is going to make a child want to play Gaelic?

We will always have our Gaelic families that will keep supporting the organisation with volunteers and players, but what about the youngsters who could be persuaded either way to play GAA? Would a functioning club with first class facilities not be the answer?
The GAA are one of the few profitable organisations in the country and should look to invest to continue to grow.

If this money is being used to good effect, well publicise it and show us where it is going.

The gaa can't win. You'd swear the guys in the top positions were pocketing the money. The accounts are publicised every year and show over 80 per cent of money being earned centrally being redistributed. It would be pointless just giving the 5 million to every club with no specific aims. This is a small gesture and no doubt the rest of the money will be used for other projects.

Other sports in the country blow millions paying high salaries and paying players etc and have far less to show for money earned over the years but get a far easier time for some reason.

Redhand Santa

If the gaa could sort out the current fixture issues between club and county it would be in a great position going forward. Personally I think everyone has to accept that county players won't play every club game but should be available for the important ones.

I suggested in the tyrone thread that the county players should be available for at least 10 games a year minimum plus hopefully others depending on their county success and if involved in successful u21 team.

I suggested 3 championships of 16 teams. In each competition have 2 groups of 8. Each team plays 7 games and start it march. Top 4 through to quarter finals of championship with top team playing 4th etc. Bottom 2 teams play off in relegation play offs. These games could be scheduled at start of year and set in stone making sure no clashes with county games, perhaps someone centrally needs to get involved in this. County players would be available for every game.

Them play a separate league where county players play if available. I said have 4 divisions of 12 and have another 11 games as thought 18 games a year plus knockout games was enough. This would not be linked to the main championship and teams with a load of county players could end up in a lower division but that would suit their level without them. Fixtures again set in stone. County players play if available but won't be called of for anything.

I think if something like this was rolled out centrally and enough importance was given to the league competition it could work much better for club footballers. It would give regular games and ensure the county players played all big games.

orangeman

There's not the disconnect that some would think. Most if not all the lads in Croke Park were at a time huge club men and most would still be big supporters of clubs.

But the fact remains that county teams generate the vast majority of money for provincial and central councils. So more heed and attention will be given to the county player and county set up. That's business. And those lamenting the lack of attention paid to the club scene should think more about this.

I'm not saying it's right. All I'm saying is that it's a fact. But there's still a better way of sorting out club fixtures. Tradition and money, both directly linked to each other, are currently standing in the way.

tiempo

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 19, 2014, 09:28:28 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 18, 2014, 07:51:06 PM
The biggest disconnect in the GAA, and the one that poses the bigger threat, is between the club game and the county game. If county managers have become so powerful that they can lobby a county board to put an entire club championship on hold, that's going to undermine the pipeline that produces future inter-county players. The GPA has an opportunity to step in here and start working for the benefit of club players, but as long as they focus exclusively on the county players I'll remain suspicious about their true motives.
+1

+2

Jim McGuinness' actions in Donegal this week are a disgrace. I assume with the backlog he's creating he's satisfied to have the club calendar sqeezed into the latter part of the year depending on his teams success i.e. league and championship fixtures being completed at a breakneck pace from Sept-Nov because Jim is stopping games in April.

How does he think these lads bodies will hold up with the demands that is going to cause?

Where's his player welfare concerns and considerations now?

Plastic Paddy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 19, 2014, 01:44:16 AM
Quote from: Zulu on April 19, 2014, 01:11:25 AM

Is it always like that? I thought it was only done for Christy Cooney for some reason.

Sean McCague was the first one as it was felt the role became too big to do while doing a full time job

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2014, 07:20:12 PM
The disconnect is not between the management and grassroots. The disconnect is between the grassroots in Ireland and the grassroots outside of Ireland. Yiz can't get it into your heads that GAA clubs, volunteers and communities exist beyond Ireland's shores.

Disagree.

If they really wanted to make the games easily available to the dispora or to clubs abroad, they'd have stipulated that RTÉ, BBC, TV3 or whoever has the rights to the game for TV also has to make the game available, free of charge, accessible from anywhere in the world, online.

Simple.
i usse an speelchekor

Zulu

You think the GAA can dictate to TV companies where they can show their product free of charge?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Zulu on April 19, 2014, 07:46:58 PM
You think the GAA can dictate to TV companies where they can show their product free of charge?

As part of contract negotiations, they can dictate anything.

If the other side is willing to do it, then they sign the contract.

If they aren't, then maybe their competitors are, or if not, a compromise is struck.

For the head honchos to say they needed this sky deal to get the games shown abroad would indicate they take the rest of the country for fools.
i usse an speelchekor

Zulu

BBC, ITV and C4 had no interest in taking GAA so they went with the only TV corporation that did, Sky. They'd you not listen to the GAA explain this?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 19, 2014, 07:45:21 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 17, 2014, 07:20:12 PM
The disconnect is not between the management and grassroots. The disconnect is between the grassroots in Ireland and the grassroots outside of Ireland. Yiz can't get it into your heads that GAA clubs, volunteers and communities exist beyond Ireland's shores.

Disagree.

If they really wanted to make the games easily available to the dispora or to clubs abroad, they'd have stipulated that RTÉ, BBC, TV3 or whoever has the rights to the game for TV also has to make the game available, free of charge, accessible from anywhere in the world, online.

Simple.

But it's not that simple, is it?  Online streaming is one thing, but if the punters in Ireland were forced to watch the games through a less-than-reliable service there'd be uproar, as well as the howls of "but what about the poor lonely farmer living up the side of a mountain with no internet connection?"  Sorry but there's no substitute for good old fashioned television when it comes to live sport both in terms of reliability and audience reach.