Tyrone v Down - Sun 18th May, Omagh

Started by tyroneman, April 15, 2014, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

All too easy to come out with that line DuffleKing when ye don't have such players missing from your team.
When you know you're going into a new season with such a plethora of talent missing that could make you into possible 1/4 finalists if not beyond, it is VERY frustrating.
Tyrone don't currently have the same talent they did in the noughties but often they had serious injury lists and other counties had the attitude "Ahh sure they can still absorb that and sure haven't they loads of talent coming through"
It doesn't work like that and so it must be very annoying to see top players like Gordon, Danny Hughes and McComiskey choosing not to line out for their county. At one stage lining out for Down was a total honour and a chance to follow in so many greats footsteps.
It's not that long ago since this county were in an AI final

Brick Tamlin

Id be inclined to agree with the applemuncher.
Its a bit tired to be rolling out the same oul shite every year
If yer granny had balls hed be yer granda.

fellas are missing every year because of circumstance, just get on with it.
Concentrate on the fellas who actually are available and training their cahonas off!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 25, 2014, 09:58:53 AM
Id be inclined to agree with the applemuncher.
Its a bit tired to be rolling out the same oul shite every year
If yer granny had balls hed be yer granda.

fellas are missing every year because of circumstance, just get on with it.
Concentrate on the fellas who actually are available and training their cahonas off!

I'm getting tired of this phrase! It seems to be everywhere on this board lately.
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

Mooney and McCartan did nothing at senior level, they might not have became anything other than decent.  I rarely here Tyrone fans moaning about Niall McGinn being absent.  Also, Danny Hughes must be one of the most over-rated players about.  Had one decent season and that was about it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mourne Rover

Nrico obviously thinks that, because he did not see much of Danny Hughes before and after the 2010 AI final, he must be an ordinary player. In fact, Hughes, together with Benny Coulter, spent years running himself into the ground for limited Down teams which were stranded in the lower divisions and never managed a run in the championship. He won a well deserved All Star in 2010 when he finally got the chance to play in a decent side, and there was no doubt he was the best in the country in his position at that stage, but has had one injury after another since then.

Nrico also believes that Caolan Mooney and Shea McCartan `did nothing' at senior level, but they both actually left home at 18 to pursue sporting careers overseas. Mooney was briefly brought into the Down squad before he left, and scored a goal a matter of minutes after making his championship debut as a sub at Casement  Park, but it might be reasonable to judge him if and when he ever starts a senior match for us.

Under Lights

See MH has to deny that Justin McMahon was off the panel. He said neither McMahon is likely to be involved in this game though.

Aristo 60

I think I've seats in section M - any good?

PAULD123

Is this an all ticket match? What about the terrace?

By the way I wasn't moaning that Down were missing so many players. All teams have their issues. I was just highlighting what a pity it is for us not to be able to see our best team fielded. Especially when they are all fit and playing sport but just not available to our county selectors.

But on that point I forgot to add Keith Quinn and Gerrard McCartan who are both playing for New York instead of Down. McCartan probably wouldn't be on the team but two years ago he was a first choice starter. Quinn I think would have an excellent chance of starting at wing back due to his fielding ability (though he may be edged out by Garvey-Carr-McKernan).

So that's nine players I reckon would claim a starting spot that are not going to be stripping out. However I heard that McComiskey may be back in the fold, can anyone else say they heard the same?

whitegoodman

Haven't heard anything bout McCumiskeys possible return but would be a big boost considering two of our main score getters would be rated as doubtful.

Would also be more inclined to think that the half back line would be Garvey, Carr, Rooney/Boyle with McKernan in the forward line.

Fuzzman

I see SoN made his comeback last weekend for us
Scored two points in the second half

orangeman

Down flying in training. Tyrone still don't have all their men back.

2008, Down beat Tyrone when Tyrone had a serious team.

Redhand Santa

I asked on the Tyrone thread if anyone knew how the county players got on for Tyrone at the weekend? Cavanaghs played well for the Moy, Ronan O'Neill flying for Omagh and most players seem to be fit and playing with the exception of Joe McMahon. Good to see McNabb, Justy, Stevie and Coney all playing at this time of year. Though this game may come too soon for Justy and Stevie.

Club Rossa

Kyle Coney and Shay McGuigan are playing very well for Ardboe.Ronan O'Neill seems to be in great form also.

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on May 02, 2014, 11:25:15 AM
Haven't heard anything bout McCumiskeys possible return but would be a big boost considering two of our main score getters would be rated as doubtful.

Would also be more inclined to think that the half back line would be Garvey, Carr, Rooney/Boyle with McKernan in the forward line.

I also expect McKernan will play in the forwards or maybe midfield. But if we had all the players I listed previously then I think he would be in the halfback line in place of Rooney/Boyle. It's a serious amount of fully fit forwards that for one reason or another are not available.

ardtole

Il have a stab at James first fifteen for Omagh
McVeigh
McCartan McArdle Boyle
Garvey Carr Rooney
McKernan Turley
McGinn Poland Rodgers
Laverty Madine Ohare

I dont think it will be far away from his selection, Mckernan and Rodgers might switch. Did McPartland from Glenn ever recover from his injury a good 12 or more months ago? I thought he looked very promising.