Unionist wants GAA jerseys banned from universities

Started by blewuporstuffed, April 08, 2014, 02:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

some newbie calling Maguire with nearly 9000 post thick, any chance you these newbies with low IQ kindly f**k off!!

tiempo

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 07, 2014, 11:24:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 11:10:28 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2014, 09:22:39 PM
Quote from: muppet link=topic=24512.msg1349547#msg1349547quote date=1399492602
Who decides whether a poppy or a Gaa jersey are political?

Common sense suggests that an emblem of an armed organisation is political while that of a sporting organisation is sporting. But some people oppose common sense.
Firstly, the poppy is not an emblem for the British Armed Forces. Secondly the GAA is not a political organisation. But unfortunately there are people who swear by the blood of their forefathers that the opposite is the case.

Thus an innocuous football jersey or a harmless little flower become inflammatory items to the common sensually challenged. So I am afraid I don't buy the common sense argument.
As ever, common sense isn't very common.

Load of tit for tat bullshit on the face of it, but in reality its more than that, lack of tolerance from the student body at QUB is shocking, i thought wans went to Uni to broaden their mind, embarrassing

Wildweasel74

2 sides as bad as each other, any chance these people representing political parties would deal with real issues like my rates going up every year yet the house price goes down, waiting for months on a hospital waiting list, education all over the place, my friends unemployed and struggling for work, racists looking any excuse to kick the shit out of the Poles, gay bashing, the list of day to day issues is endless.

Whats the Dup policy for Europe? we don't want 2 nationlist parties in Europe, pure scaremongering to an idiot population, can Peter exactly say why this is bad for Northern ireland for a political view? no cause his party cant think of any reason why his own party is best to represent people.

Is there any chance politicans will deal with real shit, instead of trying to ban poppies and gaa Jerseys in uni, they sell poppies in at my work place every year, i try my best to go out of my way to be offended this year.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 07, 2014, 11:24:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2014, 11:10:28 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2014, 09:22:39 PM
Quote from: muppet link=topic=24512.msg1349547#msg1349547quote date=1399492602
Who decides whether a poppy or a Gaa jersey are political?

Common sense suggests that an emblem of an armed organisation is political while that of a sporting organisation is sporting. But some people oppose common sense.
Firstly, the poppy is not an emblem for the British Armed Forces. Secondly the GAA is not a political organisation. But unfortunately there are people who swear by the blood of their forefathers that the opposite is the case.

Thus an innocuous football jersey or a harmless little flower become inflammatory items to the common sensually challenged. So I am afraid I don't buy the common sense argument.
As ever, common sense isn't very common.
Yes it is a 'harmless' little flower used to commemorate the dead british soldiers, to support the british army vets and their families.
On its own, that's a political statement in NI, that statement ranges from very mild to bombastic.
The poppy charity is not looking after the descendant of republican dead are they? The purchase of the poppy is not for all army dead, all the vets and their families, of the conflict/war in Ireland.
It is a selective symbol of support, just like the easter lily is a selective symbol of support.

Wearing the poppy equates to wearing a republican symbol to commemorate  republican dead, it's supporting  a republican charity. On its own, that's a political statement.

Wearing a GAA shirt is what?  Well, In the mind of the sdlp member who voted against the motion, wearing the gaa shirt has a political bias and equates it to wearing the poppy.
Now, the motion was to prevent the SU from sponsoring the sale of the poppy, the motion was not saying you can't wear it on the campus.
I suppose in some peoples' mind, there's no difference between that motion and a motion to ban the actual wearing of GAA shirts on campus.

Again, I say I have no issue with people wearing the poppy,  but if the SU are not selling charity republican based paraphernalia, then they are taking a politically biased position on the matter.  They are saying, we support the vets of one side of the conflict. How can that not be political, from a group which purports to be a union of a  large body of students?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2014, 11:54:54 PM
some newbie calling Maguire with nearly 9000 post thick, any chance you these newbies with low IQ kindly f**k off!!
Didn't realise there was a quota required before you were allowed to comment!!!

Wouldn't go as far as to say maguire was thick but his comments on 06 politics lack historical knowledge as he wasn't there for the wonderful experience it was - he's lucky in many respects.
Still there's no issue with his tuppence worth - even though he's an sdlp man and soon to be DUalliance ! ;)

foxcommander

Hahahah...did Maguire have to resort to getting his cheerleaders to stand up for him?
Pathetic.

I stand by my "thick" comment.

It was a good exercise to oppose poppy selling in Queens..this way Allister's motion will never get off the ground at universities plus a raft of other concessions will have to be made. I look forward to the same vendors selling lillies in a couple of years, just in time for the 1916 100-year anniversary.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

oakleafgael

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 08, 2014, 12:44:35 AM

Wouldn't go as far as to say maguire was thick but his comments on 06 politics lack historical knowledge as he wasn't there for the wonderful experience it was - he's lucky in many respects.
Still there's no issue with his tuppence worth - even though he's an sdlp man and soon to be DUalliance ! ;)

Pot, kettle, black.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on May 08, 2014, 02:35:29 AM

Hahahah...did Maguire have to resort to getting his cheerleaders to stand up for him?
Pathetic.

It was a good exercise to oppose poppy selling in Queens..this way Allister's motion will never get off the ground at universities plus a raft of other concessions will have to be made. I look forward to the same vendors selling lillies in a couple of years, just in time for the 1916 100-year anniversary.

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
MWWSI 2017

Ulick

Pathetic.

Universities in the north are closed the week before Holy Week so even if there was a will to sell Easter Lilies in the SU shop, there would be no one to selll them to.

johnneycool

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2014, 10:00:14 AM

Pathetic.

Universities in the north are closed the week before Holy Week so even if there was a will to sell Easter Lilies in the SU shop, there would be no one to selll them to.

Sure just extend the time for wearing them to the full month just like the poppy..

gallsman

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2014, 10:00:14 AM

Has anyone attempted to sell Easter Lilies in the SU? Selling one thing but not the other is not "politically biased" if there's no attempt to sell the other.

Absolute joke. Unfortunately republicans have a history or ruining positive propaganda with nonsense like this. Keeping mouths on idiots like this shut and letting Fraser, Bryson et al rumble on would do a far greater service to the pursuit of a united Ireland than engaging in tit for tat shite.

Maguire01

No, just a bit of civility, whether it's your first post or your 20,000th.

Maguire01

Ah, that old chestnut again, despite the fact that i've lived in NI since the 1980s, and the fact that many people who lived here throughout the worst of it share similar views to myself.

Not to mention the fact that i'm countering the views of some students who were probably in nappies when the GFA agreement was signed, and as such, by your argument, must be totally ignorant.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 08, 2014, 06:08:56 PM
must be totally ignorant.
Don't be so hard on yourself :D
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 08, 2014, 12:23:58 AM
Now, the motion was to prevent the SU from sponsoring the sale of the poppy, the motion was not saying you can't wear it on the campus.

Again, I say I have no issue with people wearing the poppy,  but if the SU are not selling charity republican based paraphernalia, then they are taking a politically biased position on the matter.  They are saying, we support the vets of one side of the conflict. How can that not be political, from a group which purports to be a union of a  large body of students?
You keep referring to the SU 'sponsoring' the sale of the poppy. What does that mean?
Unless i'm missing something, a box of poppies would be sitting on a counter, beside a money-box. If someone wants to buy a poppy, they take one from the box and make their donation. Is that what constitutes 'sponsorship'?
And unless the SU has refused to allow a box of Lillies and a collection box sit on their counter, then where's the bias? (Also, out of genuine interest, what charity does the Lily fund? Who administers it?)

I also agree with you, that there's a difference between wanting to ban the wearing of GAA tops and wanting to ban the selling a of a poppy. But the common thread is intolerance of difference, and it's a poor reflection that this is an issue among those who should be among our most highly educated. It also reflects poorly on a party whose mission is supposedly to create an 'Ireland of Equals'. It's as convincing as the 'Catholic outreach' we hear from the other side of the house.