Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 07:19:52 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 06:48:31 PM
Saying ' Its fact' on social media is just rhetoric to be honest

Your last sentence sums up what you have decided and are going to stick to.  'Very ethos of the GAA' Jasyis. To me the very ethos of the GAA is seeing clubs where parents/families put a lot to time into their club. I know loads who give all their time to training young players . It's time and dedication - they get no money. Muddy pitches and second hand bibs like everyone else.

My local club has dedicated members but trust me , feck all money. They recently got a player into the senior panel which was a big achievement. You can tell me money is the reason but i would assure you that the player himself, his club coaching staff and the willingness of Dublin selectors to look at all potential players is the reason.

If you caught the snippet on Hector's GAA docu, it showed a club like Cuala and how they started nourishing talent. A club in a rugby stronghold , it took a lot of effort by Parents to keep the club running and move it forward. Again no sign of money used to progress talent. Dedicated people are big factors in Dublin GAA too.......

The GAA is an amateur association, having a professional team compete is against its very ethos.

Like I asked Bertie, if money had nothing to do with it then why don't you pay it back? What did ye do with it all?

Who on the dublin team is getting paid?

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: Hound on April 29, 2014, 12:01:28 PM
What confuses me is why Laois (especially) and Wicklow haven't complained about the winners of their match going to Croker

That's a very good point Hound. Why the hell haven't Laois & Wicklow County Boards raised this issue ?

Wicklow are never a pushover in Aughrim (Laois will never forget losing there in 1986 as NFL Champions).
Wicklow also took some scalps there in the qualifiers under Micko. Laois have fond memories of beating Dublin in 1981 Leinster Semi-Final in Tullamore. Would be far better if all matches before Leinster Final (excluding Dubs Vs Kildare or Dubs Vs Meath for obvious reasons) were held at provincial venues. The Dubs wouldn't mind, an adventure for their followers and a boom for local business.

Don't Matter - you seem to have a lot of time on your hands - any chance of a help-out on the bog while the weather is fine ?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on April 29, 2014, 11:50:35 PM
What confuses me is why Laois (especially) and Wicklow haven't complained about the winners of their match going to Croker

That's a very good point Hound. Why the hell haven't Laois & Wicklow County Boards raised this issue ?

Wicklow are never a pushover in Aughrim (Laois will never forget losing there in 1986 as NFL Champions).

Don't Matter - you seem to have a lot of time on your hands - any chance of a help-out on the bog while the weather is fine ?

Classsic!   Don't hold your breath, though.

Johnnybegood

Wicklow also took some scalps there in the qualifiers under Micko. Laois have fond memories of beating Dublin in 1981 Leinster Semi-Final in Tullamore. Would be far better if all matches before Leinster Final (excluding Dubs Vs Kildare or Dubs Vs Meath for obvious reasons) were held at provincial venues. The Dubs wouldn't mind, an adventure for their followers and a boom for local business.

maybe Laois and Wicklow want to play in croker ! Bit like Wexford giving up home advantage against Dublin a few years ago. It's a good system. Play Dublin in croker and then give out about home advantage when your beaten that way your never truly beaten!

INDIANA

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 30, 2014, 07:06:21 AM

maybe Laois and Wicklow want to play in croker ! Bit like Wexford giving up home advantage against Dublin a few years ago. It's a good system. Play Dublin in croker and then give out about home advantage when your beaten that way your never truly beaten!

Because they get a cut of the gate receipts of the game being moved to CP. A far bigger cut then they would get if it was in their own home ground.

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 07:54:10 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 07:40:47 PM
I gave my share to the banks. It's all about the Ethos....

Yeah your bankers robbed us aswell.

if only they were my banks mate, i would be posting from the Seychelles now.
Am sure your Counties election results will reflect the anger of the bank situation :) ...

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 07:55:33 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 07:42:48 PM
New York I think....

Not if they beat Mayo.

How comes Mayo can get NY in a championship game?  Very unfair.....but it is ok cos they don't have home advantage (or money to fund the tough trip)

Hound

Sean Moran in the Times today said there was a proposal this year that the early rounds of the Leinster championship all be played outside Croke Park. It only got 2 votes so the Dubs are back in Croker.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: INDIANA on April 30, 2014, 07:48:13 AM

Because they get a cut of the gate receipts of the game being moved to CP. A far bigger cut then they would get if it was in their own home ground.
so is it the rest of the Leinster counties that want Dublin to play in croker?

Hound

Quote from: Johnnybegood on April 30, 2014, 08:35:28 AM
so is it the rest of the Leinster counties that want Dublin to play in croker?
In a nutshell

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on April 30, 2014, 08:34:26 AM

Sean Moran in the Times today said there was a proposal this year that the early rounds of the Leinster championship all be played outside Croke Park. It only got 2 votes so the Dubs are back in Croker.

Well there you go the Turkeys vote for Christmas! Not much more that can be said on this topic! Like the inequalities of the provincial championship and the seeding of some of these provinces. There will always be inequalities in the game and with the powers that be are happy with the situations, I suppose we will just have to put up!

Bensars

Are you sure thats right Indiana ? I thought championship gate recipets go into a central pot rather than the specific counties. Natiuonal league is different.

The reason why im questioning it ( and could be wrong) was a comment form a county board treasurer a few years ago stating, that from a financial perspective the best for a county would be be in the national league league final and knocked out in the first round of the championship!

Hound

Quote from: Bensars on April 30, 2014, 09:47:47 AM

Are you sure thats right Indiana ? I thought championship gate recipets go into a central pot rather than the specific counties. Natiuonal league is different.

The reason why im questioning it ( and could be wrong) was a comment form a county board treasurer a few years ago stating, that from a financial perspective the best for a county would be be in the national league league final and knocked out in the first round of the championship!

I thought it was that all gate receipts for games in the Leinster championship are pooled together, and then divided amongst the Leinster counties. So a 25,000 attendance in Portlaoise versus a 45,000 attendance in Croke Park is money lost for all Leinster counties (although I doubt the difference in attendance would be that high)

Johnnybegood

I think Dublin might bring bigger crowds this year! Most likely the biggest since before the downturn