Who would win in a street fight?

Nigel Dineen
19 (79.2%)
Dessie Farrell
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 01:17:18 AM
If Cavan can get to an All Ireland Final from the preliminary round of Ulster with the set of forwards we have, it will be a remarkable achievement. 1-3 in 59 minutes of football in the Ulster Final. The big finish was fantastic, it took a huge amount of nerve and belief to pull that game out of the fire when it seemed like the story of a game we'd seen a hundred times before, but it papered over the gaping cracks in this side. I'll disagree with Ronan Carolan and say that last year was a stronger team. Our defence on the other hand is outstanding and it will be very interesting to see how it will fare against the Dubs.

Westside, you are an awful auld pessimist! I think every year you have reckoned our U21s would struggle. Look at the bright side. Dublin do not have a forward of the calibre of Paddy McBrearty and perhaps even as good as McCurry of Tyrone. Both of those guys mustered 0-1 from play against us. McBrearty got two frees also, neither he won himself and one which was a laughable decision by the Tyrone ref where they got a free despite the player who was "fouled" not even in possession of the ball for 10s before he got a free.

We also have a midfield capable of dominating I think and of scoring.

Our forwards have been struggling but again the last 3 games we've played have been against teams playing very defensively. Donegal were just as defensive as us if not more, Monaghan too were very defensive and dedicated a player to not play football and just spoil Argue and Tyrone were beyond belief, playing 13 men behind the ball with a huge wind at their backs. I think any sets of forwards would struggle in these scenarios, just like McBrearty and McCurry did when we set up that way.

Now you are right in saying we have no marquee forward on our team and we did look totally out of ideas up front before our comeback but on reflection I think we needed to run at donegal a bit more and the short kick out was slowing our attack allowing Donegal filter men back. I believe Dublin are also setting themselves defensively so we will have to learn from Donegal and make the adjustments. We've one of the best back room teams in the country so I've faith that they will have a plan.

Dublin are justified favourites but I think if we go out and give it everything we will be close and maybe we might sneak it. The bookies have the other game neck and neck. It will be interesting to see who will prevail. I've a hunch Cork will.

rodney trotter

Cavan will need to go more direct against the Dubs as that was the down fall last year against Cork, last 15 minutes a few tactical changes like bringing Clarke to midfield and Conor Moynagh coming on led the fight back, but it was a more direct approch. Slow build up play cost Cavan against Cork

Monaghan and Donegal were both set up very defensive, the Dubs won't be.. I think the Cavan defence wil be able to contain the Dublin forwards, Kilkenny is a huge loss, Mannion and Costelloe very good players, but not the physical presence of Kilkenny.. Michael Argue is a good option to go FF if needs be for last 15 minutes, pity Sankey is also ruled out.

Westside

I'm always pessimistic, what can I say Myles. I can handle despair, it's the hope that kills me!

I'd like to see Tom Hayes start. There's enough power and thick wit between himself and Dillon to carve out a goal or two and if we can do that we're surely in with a shout. Cavan are a team that's more than the sum of their parts, I also think the mentality going into this game is entirely different to the last two Semi Final defeats. They believe this is where they belong and they fully believe they are good enough to win an All Ireland. Now that counts for little if Dublin can get some joy out of our defence and we struggle up front but I'm certain that mentally there are no issues with playing in this stage of the competition.

Hard to know how the other Semi Final will go. The Rossies haven't met a half decent side yet which won't help their cause. If the supporters are anything to go by they are thirsty to prove to everyone that they are a good side. The reality is that if they lose at this stage they will be a side who walked through a weak Connacht and fell at the first real hurdle.
A Roscommon lad I know told me the other day, deadly seriously, that he'd love to get past Cork just to get another go at the Dubs and revenge for 2012.

Itchy

Westside- there was a rossie on here saying the same. You'll never guess who.

Westside

Could be the same lad maybe? In his world Roscommon have never lost to a better team. They threw the game away against Dublin in 2012. They 'should' have beaten Galway last year if Donie Smith hadn't been sent off (obviously they would have went on to win the All Ireland) The Minors were only beaten by a Tyrone Rugby team last year.

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 11:55:32 AM
I'm always pessimistic, what can I say Myles. I can handle despair, it's the hope that kills me!

I'd like to see Tom Hayes start. There's enough power and thick wit between himself and Dillon to carve out a goal or two and if we can do that we're surely in with a shout. Cavan are a team that's more than the sum of their parts, I also think the mentality going into this game is entirely different to the last two Semi Final defeats. They believe this is where they belong and they fully believe they are good enough to win an All Ireland. Now that counts for little if Dublin can get some joy out of our defence and we struggle up front but I'm certain that mentally there are no issues with playing in this stage of the competition.

Hard to know how the other Semi Final will go. The Rossies haven't met a half decent side yet which won't help their cause. If the supporters are anything to go by they are thirsty to prove to everyone that they are a good side. The reality is that if they lose at this stage they will be a side who walked through a weak Connacht and fell at the first real hurdle.
A Roscommon lad I know told me the other day, deadly seriously, that he'd love to get past Cork just to get another go at the Dubs and revenge for 2012.

Did he say that we would get over Cork? That's pretty clearly not what I said, and indeed what I said was obviously in jest too. There's a big difference between saying you'd like to meet someone and saying you'll beat someone else. The former happens with regularity in sport and to try and point it out as something different or exceptional seems quite short-sighted because you're almost sure to fall into the same 'trap' in the future.

People like Itchy's command of the English language usual fails them when such nuances need to be unrooted.

Westside

My point was that he was completely discounting Cavan against Dublin.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 12:52:29 PM
Could be the same lad maybe? In his world Roscommon have never lost to a better team. They threw the game away against Dublin in 2012. They 'should' have beaten Galway last year if Donie Smith hadn't been sent off (obviously they would have went on to win the All Ireland) The Minors were only beaten by a Tyrone Rugby team last year.

Sounds like the same man alright without a doubt.

mylestheslasher

Your pessimism is working so far, don't change your spots now. What I'd like to see is Nevin o Donnell playing. We have problems with free taking. Bouchier was very poor from frees, even one of the simple ones he nearly missed. We need someone with a left foot too and O Donnell would give you that. Of course I am not privy to his fitness or form so I have to assume he is not ready and hence not on the panel. I don't think we have one left footed player on the team. Dublin would be taking note of this.

Westside

Is Hayes not a right footer? And Dillon? Personally, I don't see why so many people are touting O'Donnell as an option. He seems to be better and better in people's minds the longer he sits on the bench. I would also think that his reaction at not making the panel for the Ulster Final isn't in keeping with the ethos that this team have bought into (If what I was told is true)

I wonder would Ryan Connolly be able for this level... I don't think we've had a Minor player appear for our U21s but he seems to be one of the best we've produced in a while.

ross4life

We had Leitrim,Mayo beaten by half time if you weren't so defensive you would have done likewise in most of your Ulster games. We only bet Sligo by a few points so they must have been half decent. You could also say If Cavan fall to Dublin some will question the overall quality of Ulster, the one semi final you won was against Wexford who haven't been seen in Leinster final since.

Seriously though enough of the bull talk. All four remaining sides will fancy their chances to win this All Ireland for different reasons. I don't think Dublin are as good as they were in 2012 for a start they had better manager IMO and a fit Kilkenny two years ago while our semi final is 50/50 it will probably come down to which side has the better bench.

Each of the four sides can talk themselves up all they like or down (like you Westside) but the fact is it won't be known how strong each side are until we see how many of these U-21s players go on to be decent seniors.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 12:56:35 PM

Which shows he has little or no knowledge of Cavan. I think Cavan can grind any team down, including Dublin.

Lots of people talking about U21 with knowledge of only their own side or one their county played. Anyone who thinks they know who is going to win on Saturday is fooling themselves, it's that tight.

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2014, 02:00:55 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 12:56:35 PM

Which shows he has little or no knowledge of Cavan. I think Cavan can grind any team down, including Dublin.

Lots of people talking about U21 with knowledge of only their own side or one their county played. Anyone who thinks they know who is going to win on Saturday is fooling themselves, it's that tight.

Agreed. The final pairing could be any combination of the 4 and it wouldn't be a massive shock. Personally I'd love a Roscommon Cavan Final, when we're not bickering on here or in person I think Roscommon are a fantastic template of how an underage set up can be highly competitive with limited resources. Dublin and Cork are the 1st and 4th most highly populated counties in Ireland. Cavan and Roscommon are 25th and 27th respectively.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on April 13, 2014, 01:32:28 PM
Is Hayes not a right footer? And Dillon? Personally, I don't see why so many people are touting O'Donnell as an option. He seems to be better and better in people's minds the longer he sits on the bench. I would also think that his reaction at not making the panel for the Ulster Final isn't in keeping with the ethos that this team have bought into (If what I was told is true)

I wonder would Ryan Connolly be able for this level... I don't think we've had a Minor player appear for our U21s but he seems to be one of the best we've produced in a while.

Dillon and Hayes are both right footed. Very unlikely Ryan Connolly would be drafted into the panel as good as he is

tommysmith

Are you sure that Hayes is right footed, i was sure he was left footed.