TARRED

Started by Under Lights, April 03, 2014, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Anyone got any tarring around their house done recently? What are the prices like? Have a fairly hefty area to cover.

Someone has also advised me that coloured concrete 'is a good owl job'. Any thoughts.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Under Lights on April 03, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
Anyone got any tarring around their house done recently? What are the prices like? Have a fairly hefty area to cover.

Someone has also advised me that coloured concrete 'is a good owl job'. Any thoughts.

He might be thinking of Tarred and Feathered.

johnneycool

You can also get concrete stamped to look like paving, not sure if it can be coloured and stamped but there shouldn't be any reason not to.

Under Lights

Quote from: johnneycool on April 03, 2014, 04:46:24 PM

You can also get concrete stamped to look like paving, not sure if it can be coloured and stamped but there shouldn't be any reason not to.

Any photos of such?
What we talking cost per SQM?

BennyCake

A wee tip: don't let a gypo do it.

For 2 reasons. 1, they're gypos, and 2, they're gypos.

illdecide

You will be after bitmac or if your rich asphalt.  Providing you have a good base course laid a 25mm - 40mm wearing course will do you a lifetime.  40mm is a bit excessive for a driveway but the base course is the important layer. As already stated members of the travelling community will do it for you for half the price but it will only last you about 1 month before it crumbles.
Whoever you get to do it tell them you are going to do a core sample from their work as part of the civil eng course you are doing at college. ..you'll get a good job done... ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gaffer

Quote from: BennyCake on April 03, 2014, 06:29:25 PM
A wee tip: don't let a gypo do it.

For 2 reasons. 1, they're gypos, and 2, they're gypos.

Biggest LOL I can muster. LOL

Knew a post like that going to be there as I scrolled down the page.

And....... Excellent advice. Well worth heeding.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

The Subbie

It's all about the preparation and compaction.

As I'll decide mentioned a base course and wearing course will last a lifetime.
Make sure they tack coat you driveway before putting anything down. Priming is spraying liquid bitumen on to the prepared base before they lay anything.

If you don't go for a base course and just get a single layer of SMA (Stone Mastic Asphalt) or asphalt make sure who ever is doing it puts more than 40mm down, otherwise it will peel up again.

Watch the hoors when they are rolling it, they should keep rolling it with a twin drum roller at least 2 tonne weight, until you are not able to see the roller marks in the material just placed, this means it is fully compact, essential for future longevity of your bit of driveway.

Now the important, do not let the knackers anywhere near it.

Sorry I can't help with prices, I'm a few years away from home now and haven't got a clue of rates at home anymore.

One thing you can do to make sure you are not been fleeced is the following;
Measure in M2 the amount of drive you want to do, aSk the guy doing/pricing your drive what depth he will place, multiply depth x M2 = m3, multiply m3 x 2.44 to convert to tonnes for asphalt/SMA, if any less than that figure in tonnes comes through the gate he is f**king ya.

Don't let the knackers anywhere near it.

bridgegael

thinking of getting my own done too. great bit of advice there subbie.   
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Under Lights

Quote from: bridgegael on April 03, 2014, 08:06:27 PM

If we go together we can force a better deal. Can't get one drive without the other sort of thing.

Top advice subbie.

TBH I had never thought of gypos and they aren't tha readily available around our parts anyway.

BennyCake

Quote from: Under Lights on April 03, 2014, 08:17:29 PM

If we go together we can force a better deal. Can't get one drive without the other sort of thing.

Top advice subbie.

TBH I had never thought of gypos and they aren't tha readily available around our parts anyway.

Keep it that way.

CD

Quote from: BennyCake on April 03, 2014, 08:24:07 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on April 03, 2014, 08:17:29 PM

Top advice subbie.

Keep it that way.

All the gypos in our area were stole . . . . . . by the gypos! True story - and they didn't finish the tarring at number 27 even though they were paid in advance.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

bennydorano

I used to think all the Traveller stuff in relation to tarmacing was a bit of an urban myth, but i worked with a fella who told me 'they pretty much spray painted his driveway'.

lawnseed

Tarring is better than gravel especially when the kids start falling through the place and tramping stones into the house. But concrete if its done right and good concrete is a life time job. There are alot of tossers around especially in tyrone where everybody thinks they can lay concrete its not that easy. I know a couple of real artists who are class at concrete they'll do the drainage, take levels, measure and give you a price. Also they can put in frames into larger areas then they take them out and use coloured pavings on sand this acts as a drain, an expansion joint, and breaks up the plain area. For around a house 35n 12mm + 20mm half and half with no more than 10% 'cemsave'  tell your concrete plant you are cubing/testing even if your not. Put it down in the afternoon and in humid weather ideally keep off it as long as possible. Painting a clear sealer/curer is worth while stops it drying out too quick
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2014, 08:42:56 PM
I used to think all the Traveller stuff in relation to tarmacing was a bit of an urban myth, but i worked with a fella who told me 'they pretty much spray painted his driveway'.

Urban myth me arse. Chase the bastids if they ever come near you selling or seeking a job to do. Their vans with tarmaccing/joinery/paving etc are all just a cover, so that they can juke about, scouting out places to  steal anything they get their hands on.