Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 15, 2014, 05:09:25 PM
Quote from: maigheo on April 15, 2014, 12:29:46 AM
Reading Eugene McGees colum in the Sindo would make you weep.He must head straight for the bar when he goes into Croke Park and stays there for the whole game because based on his writings he does not watch any of the games.How he gets paid for the rubbish he writes is one of the great mysteries of life.

For Mayo, this defeat is a serious setback, notably because their normally excellent backline was destroyed on many occasions.

Did he look at our finishing full back line? Were they familiar to him? How did we get on in the league semi final last year? Take a look at the scores conceded in that game?
I especially like this quote

There were no 'flash Harrys' or 'fancy Dans' on this Derry team. Just solid, well-organised and hard-working players who never lost sight of what they were supposed to do.

A lesson, perhaps, for everybody involved in the Mayo football team.

What is all that about? Talk about lazy journalism!
You've lost me here, FTB, it doesn't happen often but this is one of those times.
For starters, I agree with McGee that the Mayo backline was normally excellent.
No question about it, he was dead right. But the defence on Sunday was porous as it had been throughout the league.
Sure, there will be personnel changes when the championship begins but the same can be said about every side we come up against. The Mayo defence will need to be at least as good as they were last year if we are to have any chance of getting past the quarters, never mind winning the AI.
I don't know what you mean when you refer to the finishing full back line; Derry really tore the arse out of Mayo's hopes in the final quarter.
How did we get on in the league semi last year?
As far as I remember, we got beaten by 2-16 to 0-16.  I'd think 2-16 is a lot of scores to concede in any game. In any event, what happened last year won't have any bearing on what will happen this summer.
I wouldn't accuse any of the Mayo lads of being a "Flash Harry" or the likes but the fact is the Derry side was more committed and concentrated from beginning to end.
Now, there is a lesson there for the Mayo team ans management , even if it's not what McGee had in mind.
James Horan has been uncharacteristically outspoken about his team's faults after every game they've played during this league. God knows they made plenty but why did the normally unflappable James highlight his team's shortcomings at every opportunity?
After all, isn't he the man charged with rectifying  them?
Seems like he's a very frustrated individual right now as things aren't going his way in training and team development.
Maybe it's time to be very afraid. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

DennistheMenace

Is it the fact Mayo were beat by Derry that many people are 'shocked' at or the fact it was with 14 men? You'd swear Mayo had just been beaten by Antrim in the Championship the way some people are talking.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 16, 2014, 02:03:31 PM
Is it the fact Mayo were beat by Derry that many people are 'shocked' at or the fact it was with 14 men? You'd swear Mayo had just been beaten by Antrim in the Championship the way some people are talking.

Such as who?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 16, 2014, 11:57:15 AM
Reading Eugene McGees colum in the Sindo would make you weep.He must head straight for the bar when he goes into Croke Park and stays there for the whole game because based on his writings he does not watch any of the games.How he gets paid for the rubbish he writes is one of the great mysteries of life.

For Mayo, this defeat is a serious setback, notably because their normally excellent backline was destroyed on many occasions.

Did he look at our finishing full back line? Were they familiar to him? How did we get on in the league semi final last year? Take a look at the scores conceded in that game?

There were no 'flash Harrys' or 'fancy Dans' on this Derry team. Just solid, well-organised and hard-working players who never lost sight of what they were supposed to do.

You've lost me here, FTB, it doesn't happen often but this is one of those times.
No question about it, he was dead right. But the defence on Sunday was porous as it had been throughout the league.
Sure, there will be personnel changes when the championship begins but the same can be said about every side we come up against. The Mayo defence will need to be at least as good as they were last year if we are to have any chance of getting past the quarters, never mind winning the AI.
I don't know what you mean when you refer to the finishing full back line; Derry really tore the arse out of Mayo's hopes in the final quarter.
As far as I remember, we got beaten by 2-16 to 0-16.  I'd think 2-16 is a lot of scores to concede in any game. In any event, what happened last year won't have any bearing on what will happen this summer.
I wouldn't accuse any of the Mayo lads of being a "Flash Harry" or the likes but the fact is the Derry side was more committed and concentrated from beginning to end.
Now, there is a lesson there for the Mayo team ans management , even if it's not what McGee had in mind.
James Horan has been uncharacteristically outspoken about his team's faults after every game they've played during this league. God knows they made plenty but why did the normally unflappable James highlight his team's shortcomings at every opportunity?
Seems like he's a very frustrated individual right now as things aren't going his way in training and team development.

How could you be lost Lar?

We had a finishing backline that did not contain Cafferkey, Cunniffe, Barrett or even Higgins (god knows why he was not moved back when Caff went off). That our top 4 options in that line! No team can survive or will be often asked to survive a match with such losses. Jez AI champions Meath in 1997 got hammered by Offaly cos they did not have their first choice full back line.

We conceded 2-16 in last years League semi final pre black card. Would you agree that the Mayo backline was normally excellent that year as well. Did it do us any harm defensively in the Championship?

As for the Flash Harry or Fancy Dan statement, jez who are these Flash Harry or Fancy Dan players on the team? Name them? This Mayo team has been on the road for 4 years. A Derry team who have done nothing in the same time shows more hunger in one game and suddenly Mayo players are called this!

McGee is a follow the ball football journalist. Good luck to him he makes a living out of throwing out the same stereotypes year in year out.

cornerback

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 16, 2014, 03:03:37 PM

We had a finishing backline that did not contain Cafferkey, Cunniffe, Barrett or even Higgins (god knows why he was not moved back when Caff went off). That our top 4 options in that line! No team can survive or will be often asked to survive a match with such losses. Jez AI champions Meath in 1997 got hammered by Offaly cos they did not have their first choice full back line.

We conceded 2-16 in last years League semi final pre black card. Would you agree that the Mayo backline was normally excellent that year as well. Did it do us any harm defensively in the Championship?

As for the Flash Harry or Fancy Dan statement, jez who are these Flash Harry or Fancy Dan players on the team? Name them? This Mayo team has been on the road for 4 years. A Derry team who have done nothing in the same time shows more hunger in one game and suddenly Mayo players are called this!

McGee is a follow the ball football journalist. Good luck to him he makes a living out of throwing out the same stereotypes year in year out.

We won Division 2 last year  :P

Crete Boom

Quote from: cornerback on April 16, 2014, 05:29:18 PM

We won Division 2 last year  :P

Now you have a great chance of winning division titles back to back which would be some turn around!
Again though don't expect too much credit if you send us packing again later on during the summer ;). Just make sure you down us in the All Ireland final so at least you would have Sam as some comfort to playing second fiddle to the media/internet comment orgy over Mayo's latest chapter of the "House of Pain". ;D ;D

INDIANA

Not sure there is much more that he can do with the team.

On an overall basis Mayo look short in terms of winning an All Ireland.

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on April 16, 2014, 08:32:40 PM

When he has his full compliment, it will be interesting. Non starters the last day included Clarke, Cunniffe, Barrett, Seamie O Shea, Barry Moran, Ritchie Feeney, Cillian O'Connor and Gallagher. That's half a team of decent players! I can still see your point of view. None of those players would make the big difference Mayo need to get over the line AI wise.

INDIANA

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 16, 2014, 08:43:50 PM

When he has his full compliment, it will be interesting. Non starters the last day included Clarke, Cunniffe, Barrett, Seamie O Shea, Barry Moran, Ritchie Feeney, Cillian O'Connor and Gallagher. That's half a team of decent players! I can still see your point of view. None of those players would make the big difference Mayo need to get over the line AI wise.

I just think Mayo need to just do enough to get to an AI Final and then just see can they possibly raise themselves to an elevated level of performance in the final. I don't think they are capable of producing 3-4 big performances in a row. They haven't the squad to do it IMO. But they can raise it for one special day out.

Syferus

This year maybe. But last year Mayo had more than enough to get over the line. No amount of white-washing can change that fact.

Interesting stuff by AO'S in the papers today. I was tempted to call it a trademark bullock run but he's only putting voice to what plenty of people think about professionalism and county amalgamation.

Maybe Roscommon is what Mayo need to get over the 'AI line'..

macdanger2

The FB line qasn't the reason we lost on Sunday

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 16, 2014, 10:54:58 PM

The FB line qasn't the reason we lost on Sunday

Tell that to Eugene!

highorlow

I vaguely remember decades ago a pretty harsh attack on us by Eugene after getting knocked out of the championship. In my innocence at the time I faxed (yes faxed) him a letter picking up on some of his critique.

He did respond, I didn't keep it or at least I can't find it, but as far as I remember he did give a fairly nice reply along the lines of us needing some more luck and some good forwards. He did say until we did win a final the jury will always be out on us and to get back to him when we do get across the line. Ever since I always love reading what he has to say about us.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2014, 10:32:37 PM

This year maybe. But last year Mayo had more than enough to get over the line. No amount of white-washing can change that fact.

Interesting stuff by AO'S in the papers today. I was tempted to call it a trademark bullock run but he's only putting voice to what plenty of people think about professionalism and county amalgamation.

but would any one care if Mayo won in such Circumstances . I cant imagine any one in Ross lighting bonfires as the team made its way back to castlebar and the reception in Machale park would be equally muted.
Football is about beating Roscommon not letting the Glow in our aura
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on April 16, 2014, 10:32:37 PM

Nah, can't agree.
The Mayo forwards weren't up to the task.  Only two scored from play, Keith Higgins (0-1) and Andy Moran. (1-2) You can't win AIs with returns like that!
JH started off with K Mac, Higgins, Dillon, COC, Freezer and Andy M. During the course of the game he brought on  Conroy, Carolan, Varley and Doherty.
That's a total of ten and, between the lot of them, they only contributed 1-3 from play.
To make matters even worse, a half-fit Andy Moran got 1-2 of that.
One frigging point between nine forwards in an AI final!
While I'm at it, I think only two scored from play in the final of 2012.  No wonder Horan is going grey before our eyes.
However, I think we just might have won last year if COC and Andy had been fully fit. On the other hand, if Dublin weren't forced to play the last 20 mins with only 13 fit players, they could well have won by four or five.
I don't think Horan is under any illusions as he looks ahead to the beginning of the championship. If he has a full panel to pick from, IMO only Jason Gibbons has staked a claim on a starting place.
Thanks to the magnificent backs, I'm fairly confident that Mayo will make it to the quarters and quite possibly the semis also.
After that, unless James togs out himself the future looks bleak.
God, if only he had a few who were half as good as himself, I'd be a lot happier right now! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi