Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

That win for Derry reminds me a bit of us against Cork in the 1/4 final in 2011. Since that game we have been a top team while Cork went into decline. I hope that doesn't happen us now.

I predict a major change in tactics for us. Since the tackle is now apparently obsolete (although the ref in the Dublin game did allow a physical game) the only way to prevent goals will be to pull 12/13 men back in front of the goal. Fans might think high-scoring shootouts are great but managers won't.
MWWSI 2017

Crete Boom

Disappointed again ( all too familiar now!) in Croker. The sloppy play that has marked us all through the league was on show again. Derry looked more up for the fight when the game reached it's pitch in the second half. Some really poor shot selection and the ball into Freeman was poor. I must say I haven't seen a Derry team this well organised and together since the 90's and McIver has done a fine job so far. If they could get past Donegal , the confidence boost could drive them forward to an Ulster title.

For us we didn't look interested in digging deep to push Derry in the final quarter and our man advantage was what pinned Derry back more than us applying any real pressure. While an All Ireland q/final is attainable because of the structure of the championship this could be our lot ( maybe a semi if we got a handy q/final draw) for 2014. While SAM would escape us again it would be an admirable attempt from a squad on the road for four years and would at least leave a base line performance for the next management team to work off. I would like us to put together one 70 min performance in a meaningful championship game this summer and see where it takes us though!!

Well done Derry and I hope you have a good cut off the Dubs in the final. Well done Dublin also on that second half performance. It was a joy to watch in the flesh and a reminder of how good Alan Brogan is when fully fit!! 2- 13 in one half is amazing scoring on any day!!!

Fuzzman

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 13, 2014, 09:49:35 AM
Having went to school in Derry I was brought up hating ye lot and went to the "we beat Derry with 13 men" match with two Derry lads. But living in Dublin now combined with her lack of competitiveness in for a long time now, I'm able to support ye again now. Can't make the match but have a sneaky feeling ye will shock Mayo and win. Reading the IN yesterday I read this is the first Derry team in ages with great team spirit and togetherness. I know the Mayo boys will hate me but I think they're looking ahead to the final and the summer whereas Derry know this is their big chance to win a National title and would give them great belief in themselves and their new manager.

Good call Fuzzman and well done for supporting the aul enemy in these peace times.
Pity a few Derry man can't just enjoy their win without rattling a few cages and bitter aul JOG having to mention Mayo being as cynical as Tyrone. Sad sad sad.
Still I'll be cheering for ye to win the final against the money spinning Dubs. I hope MDMA doesn't meet me soon or he'll batter the head of me for bad mouthing the Dubs.

J OGorman

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 14, 2014, 12:29:37 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 13, 2014, 09:49:35 AM
Having went to school in Derry I was brought up hating ye lot and went to the "we beat Derry with 13 men" match with two Derry lads. But living in Dublin now combined with her lack of competitiveness in for a long time now, I'm able to support ye again now. Can't make the match but have a sneaky feeling ye will shock Mayo and win. Reading the IN yesterday I read this is the first Derry team in ages with great team spirit and togetherness. I know the Mayo boys will hate me but I think they're looking ahead to the final and the summer whereas Derry know this is their big chance to win a National title and would give them great belief in themselves and their new manager.

Good call Fuzzman and well done for supporting the aul enemy in these peace times.
Pity a few Derry man can't just enjoy their win without rattling a few cages and bitter aul JOG having to mention Mayo being as cynical as Tyrone. Sad sad sad.
Still I'll be cheering for ye to win the final against the money spinning Dubs. I hope MDMA doesn't meet me soon or he'll batter the head of me for bad mouthing the Dubs.

here, I threw in a winky thing at the end of that line about being cynical. Feel bad now after your reading your hands across the divide post.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change.

theticklemister

Fuzzman

Good man JOG although see above
Don't worry Tickle ye might get a chance to hammer us this summer
Just bring a big double decker and drive it right through the middle of her defence

As a matter of interest do you want Bradley back now or would he only upset things.

J OGorman

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 14, 2014, 02:09:46 PM
Just bring a big double decker and drive it right through the middle of her defence

As a matter of interest do you want Bradley back now or would he only upset things.

I touched on it in the Derry thread. Would never be one for washing the old laundry in public, though, at this juncture, I wouldnt have him back. Theres not a man on the panel should make way. Too much work from alot of players / backroom staff to get us to a position to have a good old rattle at Donegal at the end of May. Can't see him being invited back

theticklemister

EC Unique

Quote from: J OGorman on April 14, 2014, 02:28:01 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 14, 2014, 02:09:46 PM

I touched on it in the Derry thread. Would never be one for washing the old laundry in public, though, at this juncture, I wouldnt have him back. Theres not a man on the panel should make way. Too much work from alot of players / backroom staff to get us to a position to have a good old rattle at Donegal at the end of May. Can't see him being invited back

This is the first time in a while I have seen Derry play good football as a team

This is the first time in a while I have seen Derry without a Bradley involved.

Go figure......

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Apologies lads for getting wound up and snapping back at the two (probably the same lad) WUMs. Drink was had watching the soccer and football  :-[

Again like I said initially, well done Derry.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2014, 11:09:58 PM
We were too pedestrian today. We don't know how to run at defendees at PACE. Conceding far too many goals. Conservative team selection. Jesus I'm gonna stop now because the political jibes from both sets on here want to make me puke.

Need a few leaders. You don't have enough. Forget tactics- leadership is more important

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on April 14, 2014, 06:14:36 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2014, 11:09:58 PM
We were too pedestrian today. We don't know how to run at defendees at PACE. Conceding far too many goals. Conservative team selection. Jesus I'm gonna stop now because the political jibes from both sets on here want to make me puke.

Need a few leaders. You don't have enough. Forget tactics- leadership is more important

What is a 'leader'? Plenty of that team are vocal and try to lead by example, it just didn't work yesterday.

Mayo's problems look like they rest in mental fatigue more than anything else. That's a even harder problem to solve than a lack of leaders.

lynchbhoy

This whole 'leader' craic is a fallacy! Can have loads of great leaders but not worth a sihte if you don't have a good team, game plan ( to suit the team and players) and good mgt

The best teams will end up having a few marquee players ( effectively leaders) but not the other way around
Try creating a winning team with a handful ( or loads) of leaders....
IMO anyway

Hard luck yesterday mayo. I think the new rules have set you back a wee bit but you have talented big squad so a better team selection and some natural defenders ( or three man midfield alignment ) may go a long way to solving this problem

Whatever about the league final - I'm more wary of those cute Donegal hoors lying in wait for us in the championship first round.

Derry might need e Bradley yet if we exp injuries like in prev years!
Hope not - but we've been fierce unlucky with them

INDIANA

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 14, 2014, 06:45:48 PM
This whole 'leader' craic is a fallacy! Can have loads of great leaders but not worth a sihte if you don't have a good team, game plan ( to suit the team and players) and good mgt

The best teams will end up having a few marquee players ( effectively leaders) but not the other way around
Try creating a winning team with a handful ( or loads) of leaders....
IMO anyway

Hard luck yesterday mayo. I think the new rules have set you back a wee bit but you have talented big squad so a better team selection and some natural defenders ( or three man midfield alignment ) may go a long way to solving this problem

Whatever about the league final - I'm more wary of those cute Donegal hoors lying in wait for us in the championship first round.

Derry might need e Bradley yet if we exp injuries like in prev years!
Hope not - but we've been fierce unlucky with them

Its not a fallacy at all. Mayo have plenty of good players but no leaders. A leader is a guy who plays his best on a regular basis when the shit hits the fan. Mayo have very few in this category.

Lessons in leadership were provided by MDMA and Connolly for Dublin yesterday. Neither had spectacular first halves by any stretch but were awesome in the last 25 minutes. Anyone can start a game and play well only the very best can reverse a game going away from them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2014, 12:01:38 PM
That win for Derry reminds me a bit of us against Cork in the 1/4 final in 2011. Since that game we have been a top team while Cork went into decline. I hope that doesn't happen us now.

I predict a major change in tactics for us. Since the tackle is now apparently obsolete (although the ref in the Dublin game did allow a physical game) the only way to prevent goals will be to pull 12/13 men back in front of the goal. Fans might think high-scoring shootouts are great but managers won't.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. You know the joy Derry are feeling. We had it in 2011 and 2012 beating Cork and Dublin (and even Kerry in the League semi final). Yeah, yesterday Horan looked like Counihan looked in 2011 a team on the road a few year listening to the same spin from the same manager. Because we are still a decent side I have a feeling this will be a slow painful death this summer.

Now rant over and in with the excuses for our display. Full back line without Barrett, Cunniffe, Cafferkey (who is the lynch pin) and Higgins (why was he not moved back instead of being taken off?) will always struggle. Jason Gibbons came in for rough treatment! Cillian was naturally a loss on the day. Varley is not up to it but is getting time as a sub, mind boggles! Yesterdays result brings the fans back to earth and expectation will be (more) realistic now! We have a couple of Months until we start the 'real' championship. It almost seems like a life time away. By the time it comes around Sunday will be a distant memory. :)