Maigh Eo v Doire, Pairc An Chrócaigh, De Domhnaigh 13ú Aibreain, 1400

Started by macdanger2, April 01, 2014, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Ah here lads all I'd say is look at the amount of posts the 2 boyos have ... They're far from your normal Derry poster on here!

Horan is a shrewd boy and no doubt Mayo are looking to peak for championship so I wouldn't think he's too worried about today in the grand scheme of things. What I would worry about is the old Mayo's lack of forwards chestnut. For the last 15 minutes of the 2nd half we conceded possession from your kickouts and turned the ball over from your forwards on more occasions I could count. Freeman being held must also be a worry.

Special mention to our defence who were superb throughout and the foundation for the victory. To a man they were outstanding!

Seriously worried about the next match I thought the Dubs performance today was as good a half of football as I've probably ever seen. How we perform against that will give us an indication of how we will perform against Donegal.

As ever with Derry we are still an unknown quantity. We've won the league too many times only to bow out of the Championship too early so I'llk reserve judgment. Its clear though that we are up there in terms of preparation and tactical abilty so we're going in the right direction. Long may it continue!!

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 13, 2014, 09:43:23 PM
Is Jason Doherty not better corner forward? He was lethal last year with DIT, in the FF line

With COC, Freeman and Horan giving McLoughlin a free role at 13 that isn't really an option.

Horan has very rarely played both Doherty and Freeman in the FF line. He seems to regard them as fulfilling the same role and Doherty isn't going to replace Freeman unless Horan is clinically blind.

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 13, 2014, 09:37:32 PM
Great win for Derry today.
Some outstanding individual perf and team perf , organisation , tactics/playing style.
Management have done fantastically.
Still think that e Bradley would augment the side as a supersub

Mayo really should have won as it was on a plate. Their style seems a bit confused. Also not sure if they know what their best starting xv is!

They were a cynical side so the new rules have affected them as it has affected Tyrone and hopefully Donegal too!
My proof is the amount of scores mayo shipped in the league and was the cause of my own optimism this morning.
Derry to my chagrin have been naive and too clean for years- so the new rules won't stunt, but assist us!

Hard luck mayo- had great chats with the mayo, cork and dub fans around. As it should be in Crocker amongst real GAA fans.

Ferg Doherty second yellow correct. First one I thought was harsh, but that's football. Ref was a bit inconsistent to both sides.
Not easy to ref these faster games under new rules.

Spoke with old team mate Sean maher of mayo, Anthony Finnerty and galwayman Tomas tierney who all lamented mayos play but reckoned we are all better off retired as the new rules make football aoat a non contact game by comparison to yesteryear

Dublin will be very hard to beat in the final and I'm not sure we will beat them but we can try.
Donegal await in the long grass the hoors !

Great game from 14 man Derry though!

Today was an embarassing spectacle from a Mayo Pov. Congrats to Derry who have figured out that basketball tactics work best while the Mayo sideline once again are a season behind.

The threat of a black card has turned the game into a cowardly farce. There were no hits, no tackles and other than McMDA, who is exempt, no way our games will allow a tackle of any sort.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2014, 09:49:37 PM
Some outstanding individual perf and team perf , organisation , tactics/playing style.

Mayo really should have won as it was on a plate. Their style seems a bit confused. Also not sure if they know what their best starting xv is!

They were a cynical side so the new rules have affected them as it has affected Tyrone and hopefully Donegal too!
My proof is the amount of scores mayo shipped in the league and was the cause of my own optimism this morning.
Derry to my chagrin have been naive and too clean for years- so the new rules won't stunt, but assist us!

Hard luck mayo- had great chats with the mayo, cork and dub fans around. As it should be in Crocker amongst real GAA fans.

Ferg Doherty second yellow correct. First one I thought was harsh, but that's football. Ref was a bit inconsistent to both sides.

Spoke with old team mate Sean maher of mayo, Anthony Finnerty and galwayman Tomas tierney who all lamented mayos play but reckoned we are all better off retired as the new rules make football aoat a non contact game by comparison to yesteryear

Dublin will be very hard to beat in the final and I'm not sure we will beat them but we can try.

Today was an embarassing spectacle from a Mayo Pov. Congrats to Derry who have figured out that basketball tactics work best while the Mayo sideline once again are a season behind.

The threat of a black card has turned the game into a cowardly farce. There were no hits, no tackles and other than McMDA, who is exempt, no way our games will allow a tackle of any sort.

I've seen plenty of physical games this year and plenty of top class games as well.

Change is hard, but only on the old-timers.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 13, 2014, 09:39:20 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 13, 2014, 09:26:02 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 13, 2014, 07:24:39 PM
Quote from: cockahoop on April 13, 2014, 07:21:33 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 13, 2014, 07:10:34 PM
Quote from: cockahoop on April 13, 2014, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 04, 2014, 11:05:53 AM
ill preface this with i know mayo could still lose but it would be embarrassing in the extreme if they did ,
Derry are showing the league no respect whatsoever and its very unfair on the players from counties trying to Qualify when Derry seem to be trying to throw this game.
there should be a 'Bringing the game into disrepute charge ' to Punish  this behaviour.
I'm seriously thinking  about deliberately missing  my 1st league game in about 5 years , So what if mayo win against a team of Derry subs and a loss as i said would be a disaster.
next time you hear about a Derry club or CB whinging about Finance they should be reminded of sunday

shock horror Mayo shit the nest against 14 men in croker!!!

A quote like that leaves yourself as open as Rosnarun for ridicule in a couple of weeks time. Enjoy your victory. It was well deserved. But you have won nothing yet. When you have you can get on you high horse. (But even then there will be some one waiting to knock you off.)

I am very aware of Derry capabilities and at the minute are punching well above there weight but a lot of you Mayo folk have serious disallusions  of grandure

A sure we are nothing on the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland City of culture but sure we will be happy being back in Croke Park when it's Summer ;)
Resorting to that old craic is adolescent puerile and let's yourself down.
Do you have to start down that route ?

"S.T.N" subhuman comment makes it totally reasonable.
No

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2014, 09:49:26 PM
Is Jason Doherty not better corner forward? He was lethal last year with DIT, in the FF line

With COC, Freeman and Horan giving McLoughlin a free role at 13 that isn't really an option.

Horan has very rarely played both Doherty and Freeman in the FF line. He seems to regard them as fulfilling the same role and Doherty isn't going to replace Freeman unless Horan is clinically blind.

I was talking about todays game where COC wasn't playing.. Sweeney did alright , hit a few good scores but made some poor errors too.
Freeman was poor enough bar some free's..

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 13, 2014, 09:54:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2014, 09:49:26 PM

I was talking about todays game where COC wasn't playing.. Sweeney did alright , hit a few good scores but made some poor errors too.

I suppose it would have been worth a go today alright but I think in Horan's mind Freeman and Doherty are two sides of the same coin and is very reluctant to play both up front together.

It's hard to see how Mayo arrange their pieces up front and a significant difference is made, COC excepted. They  really have to hope Dillon is back to his best (after so long on the blocks) and/or Doherty, Andy, Feeney or Gallagher make make a step up.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2014, 09:49:37 PM

To be fair to the mayo mgt team, they are obv trying to combat their leaky defence in lieu of the new rules and how they had been prev geared up to defend!
A few times today only the full forward was in the Derry half!
Derry weren't much better - same goes for Dublin and cork.

I did comment during the second game that cork often fall asleep - so their flop is common with them and while Dublin are good, it flattered them a good bit!

It's going to be an interesting championship as teams get to grips with new rules - and it seems that games will be high scoring and exciting!!

Bonus territory for us. But will look forward to another day out in croker!

thebuzz

Lynchbhoy I see Big Mark pulled up a bit at the end after he took the last score. Hope it's nothing to worry about. He'd be some loss. :(

Don Corleone

Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2014, 09:52:16 PM
I've seen plenty of physical games this year and plenty of top class games as well.

Change is hard, but only on the old-timers.

I'm in agreement with Syferus on this one. The main result of the rule-change for me is the elinination of the cynical
drag/block/tackle allowing more free-flowing movement. Some great scoring spectacles have resulted.

Old-timers are able for change now Syf, economic adjustments have taught us a lesson.... ;)
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Wildweasel74

Over confident does tend to come back and bite you on the ass, Derry played well the day as i thought they be on ahiding to nothing with 14 men. As for the Doherty incident, it was a bit hit, and a free but i seen worse in a league game last night where one of our players was put 5 yards over the side line after a fercious hit, wasnt even called a free. Mark Lynch was very strong and coudlnt be held. Dublin might be too strong for them in aleague final but theres alot of young lads there who are still learning.

quiganmaster

Absolutely disgusted when I came home and looked at this thread. Brilliant occasion for our county, very proud derry Gael today, but goodness gracious lads, we have own nothing yet. Some stupid comments from derry posters here and ridiculous uncalled for comments from the mayo supporters about politics etc, where does that fit into the GAA ethos? Gracious in victory, gracious in defeat! Derry abú

Shrewdness

Syferus, i would play Keith Higgins at left corner back as i believe he's the best corner back in the country. Is this thread turning into Derry and Roscommon people discussing Mayo? I'm still waiting to hear about Dillon, Gallagher and Regan.

Farrandeelin

We were too pedestrian today. We don't know how to run at defendees at PACE. Conceding far too many goals. Conservative team selection. Jesus I'm gonna stop now because the political jibes from both sets on here want to make me puke.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 13, 2014, 10:58:17 PM
Syferus, i would play Keith Higgins at left corner back as i believe he's the best corner back in the country. Is this thread turning into Derry and Roscommon people discussing Mayo? I'm still waiting to hear about Dillon, Gallagher and Regan.

Sure Dillon is still recovering from his injuries and Gallagher just isn't starting.

Regan: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=24437.msg1332690#msg1332690