GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sheamy on August 11, 2014, 03:49:29 PM
All these people were on TV3. The only difference is everyone has to pay for it now.

TV3 isn't available in Britain. Big difference.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 11, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
Quote from: sheamy on August 11, 2014, 03:49:29 PM
All these people were on TV3. The only difference is everyone has to pay for it now.

TV3 isn't available in Britain. Big difference.

There were pay options in Britain then as there are now. If this was an issue then the GAAGo would have helped.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

At the end of the day the GAA has stuck by and large with RTE, probably at a cost. The reality is to fund and develop our games we need to sometimes sup with the devil. At the end of the day the one thing we are is democratic. So if you don't like the Sky deal start your motion off through the club, county, provincial council and then central council to take us back to ye olden days. You don't have to be with Sky. you can subscribe to sky sports for the summer through freeview. I haven't heard any whinging about Setanta sports who show the national league games being pay per view.

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 12, 2014, 10:54:21 AM
. you can subscribe to sky sports for the summer through freeview.
In a small area of Ireland  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

QuoteI haven't heard any whinging about Setanta sports who show the national league games being pay per view.

It's a good job that they do show them, we'd be waiting a long time for RTE to show a live national league game.

I'm all for competition, if Sky put RTE under pressure, so be it, we all win.

ballinaman

Brolly was on about how the sick in hospitals can't watch games on Sky Sports now...

FFS....

AZOffaly

I'd say watching him on RTE would make you sicker.

Applesisapples

Quote from: balladmaker on August 12, 2014, 11:38:04 AM
QuoteI haven't heard any whinging about Setanta sports who show the national league games being pay per view.

It's a good job that they do show them, we'd be waiting a long time for RTE to show a live national league game.

I'm all for competition, if Sky put RTE under pressure, so be it, we all win.
Hear Hear. Does Saorview not offer a sky subscription?

Rossfan

No Saorview is Irish Channels only free to air from th'oul aerial.
If you're near enough the 6 counties and have an aerial pointing that way and get the right box you can get 10 or 15 Terrestrial British Channels but NO SKY.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

I was hoping the GAA dealing with Sky might make RTE up their game but it's not looking great so far. GAA is simply not a priority in Donnybrook.

AZOffaly

I think RTE are probably complacent enough looking at the viewing figures on Sky, and they have won the Joe Duffy opinion war.

In fairness Sky have tried to be positive and I find that refreshing. I watched Limerick v Kilkenny on Sky rather than RTE because Ger 'Huge One In' Canning was commentating on RTE.

blewuporstuffed

What do you call the guy that commentates for Sky?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

They have two. Mike Finnerty and Damien McIntyre (who also commentates for Newstalk). I think McIntyre is quite good, but Finnerty is still better to listen to than know all Canning.

Farrandeelin

Finnerty commentates on MWR too. He can be annoying to listen to at times.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 12, 2014, 04:24:10 PM
What do you call the guy that commentates for Sky?
They are called the 'ex TV3 commentators'.

But they sound so much better on Sky  when that factor of having paid a small fortune to hear them is taken into consideration.