GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Rachel Wyse floats my boat. There, said it..

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 11, 2014, 02:13:56 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 11, 2014, 12:13:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 10, 2014, 03:52:45 PM
The people of Ireland can watch the vast majority of games on RTE.
That's all fine if you're an Offaly man and easy to say, it doesn't hurt you but there are plenty of people who can't get to see their county play in a 2nd round championship game but would have caught it FTA on a TV3 package. Plus the wider audience, some >300,000 who would have watched the game.
300,000 v 30,000 is an absolute whitewash, it's Kilkenny hurlers v Kilkenny footballers. Spin just can't put clothes on that one.

Then where's this going, you think Sky will be content with a minor package of exclusivity in Ireland? Is there a precedent for Sky being content with a junior partner role? The end game for Sky has to be to increase their package of exclusive live games in Ireland.
There is no point to their getting involved unless this is part of their picture.
Tolerating a small package would be the equivalent of U2 on a world tour being content with playing the little clubs, cramming in 20 truckloads of a sound system inside.

Sky will look at the new subscriptions gained  and also Sky internet and make their calculations, then they will want more games.
And Sky's offer will make great sense and plenty of people explaining why it's good for us and the GAA and  others will swear blind that really the TV3 commentators sound so professional on Sky and Peter Cavanagh just sounds so much more incisive than he did on TV3  :D

In all likelihood, you will have to revise your position when the majority of games will no longer be on Rte.

What sky want is immaterial if the GAA don't want to sell them rights. Would you be happy if the GAA gave them all the games that are not shown anywhere at all at the moment?

And I'm not sure what being from Offaly has to do with it. Offaly are already on sky and are on again this week for some reason, so that's 2 games that directly impact Offaly.
Then what's the point of Sky getting involved, from their perspective?
I'd presume it's to increase subscriptions to their various sat and  internet packages?
but maybe I have this wrong and Sky are interested in GAA as in a charity effort? They send 20 trucks of equipment to Wexford Pk out of some philanthropic solidarity with the GAA?
If Sky are not going to get the viewing numbers to justify the effort, either they bale out or demand more games. Who knows what the spin may be generated in the GAA world to support Sky when it comes to demands for a larger package and if the GAA don't give it then Sky are gone.
So far the GAA Sky spin has been insulting.
Sky have the secondary TV3 package, Sky's presentation is a rebadged TV3 but with a hefty subscription cost.
Instead of 300.000 watching Monaghan v Armagh, there were 10,000.
TV3 as far as I can ascertain had done nothing wrong, had made great progress with their package, got the audience figures  and were going toe for toe with RTE.
What do Sky do with a mere 10,000 viewers?

Jeepers Creepers

10,000 viewers at whatever their sports subscription are a month? One reason, in the north, I subscribe to sky sports package.BT announce their sports package free of charge. I m thinking of cancelling sky sports and settling for BT. Wham Sky announce GAA coverage. All of a sudden I'm sticking with my sky sports to see what they bring to the table. Clever? Maybe not on my part but theirs.....

J70

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 19, 2014, 08:50:35 PM

My first time seeing her today.

I agree! :)

armaghniac

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 19, 2014, 08:50:35 PM

I've never seen her, my boat remains on the beach.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

drici

T Fearon

Wonder what viewers in Britain make of schoolteacher Peter Canavan talking about ,"fallying" (ie following) the man,and "agin" (ie against)?

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on August 05, 2014, 06:58:50 AM
Wonder what viewers in Britain make of schoolteacher Peter Canavan talking about ,"fallying" (ie following) the man,and "agin" (ie against)?

I know, how will they possibly cope, because there's no regional accents in England for them to deal with.
That was never a square ball!!

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on August 05, 2014, 06:58:50 AM
What a terrible provincoal british attitude you have Tony :o.
I thought you were a nationalistic Irishman.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

In all honesty you would expect a basic degree of articulateness from a schoolteacher surely? Ffs even Joey Barton is reasonably articulate.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on August 06, 2014, 04:00:12 PM
In all honesty you would expect a basic degree of articulateness from a schoolteacher surely? Ffs even Joey Barton is reasonably articulate.

He might have a funny accent, but he always knew which Sunday in September to show up.
MWWSI 2017

Hereiam

This is the problem with this deal.
I don't have sky because I cant afford it and I will not see the two games tomorrow.
I would love to see them and it makes me angry that money once again has been put before the ordinary supporter.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hereiam on August 08, 2014, 09:56:16 AM
This is the problem with this deal.
I don't have sky because I cant afford it and I will not see the two games tomorrow.
I would love to see them and it makes me angry that money once again has been put before the ordinary supporter.

Are these games not on rte / bbc?? That's bollix for the neutral supporter tbf.

Brick Tamlin

Go to the pub or yer mates house to watch it.
There are ways and means to see the games.
But I suppose its easier to grumble about it.

On the Canavan thing, yeah I kinda have to agree with Fearon. I cringe a bit when I hear him 'analyse' or commentate.
The 2 anchors are decent and able as well as professional but I wouldn't have the dub or the wee baldy one near it though.
If only some of these broadcasters would look outside the 'former player' pool for analysts or co-commentators.
(Marty Morrissey and Martin Carney should both be shot with a ball of their own shite they are that bad on RTE)

Hereiam

Brick I have 3 kids and the wife will be in bed from working nite duty tonight. I live in a rural area so the nearest pub is 10 mile away.  My mates have enough of there own without me adding to it.