GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 05, 2014, 09:34:57 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 05, 2014, 09:21:03 PM
Given that gaa is a new sport to the British audience it's a hardly a surprise that in the first season it's on ss3. If it goes well it could end up moving over in future years.

I'm looking forward to seeing their build up to the all Ireland finals. Rte have one show on the sat night full of music. It'll be nice to see the build up on sky sports news and preview shows during the week. The finals could be turned into big event with a decent international audience relatively quickly.

+1. And there'll be none of this "puke football" and "tell your children to play tennis instead" rubbish from their pundits.
if you would pay  Eur40 pm just to view Sky eventism and style of popular punditry and consider it money well spent, then I'd file that viewpoint as lacking seriousness :) It's not just about all those who already are sky sport subscribers, it's mainly  about the rest who are not sky sport subscribers and so far have not taken the plunge and those who will never take the plunge.
I don't live on the IOI though I have an Irish sky card in my sky box.
This package of games would have been on the TV3 package, now it will cost an extra 40 eur pm. I tend to watch most every championship game televised.
This is the same situation for people in Ireland. For the most part, a package that was viewed at no extra cost now caries a hefty levy. Where is the progress  or benefit with this deal?  Afaics there is none in Ireland, mainly a large minus in regards to this package of games.
For Sky the attraction is holding onto and gaining new Sky sports subscribers, both in UK and Irl , those people with a basic sky package  who are on the edge,  might just now take the whole package.
For GAA residents in the UK,  splitting the package between 2 different subscription services is not about improving the service to  those GAA viewers who do not already subscribe to Sky Sports package.
For the most part, the interests of the UK GAA viewers would have been better served by negotiating and mandating a better service and expanding the game menu on one sat channel (premier sports) and increasing access in other ways to the same games.
For the GAA,  the main aim of splitting the UK package  would be catch the casual viewer who already has a Sky sports sub.  I can see that benefit mainly in one context, that the AI finals would eventually become an international event of interest, not unlike superbowl,  at least more high profile than Handball/Basketball European  finals  are currently across Europe.
I would be very sceptical that the casual sports subscription viewer would be motivated to watch the odcg (ordinary decent championship game).
When it comes to some games, I usually invite a few friends around who have not a clue about gaelic games, they enjoy  the occasion  just as I would a super bowl party, but would they watch it on their own? I very much doubt it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2014, 03:10:20 PM
if you would pay  Eur40 pm just to view Sky eventism and style of popular punditry and consider it money well spent, then I'd file that viewpoint as lacking seriousness :)

My personal preferences are irrelevant. It's what the market says that counts.

orangeman

Right.

I've been thinking about this.

So the GAA have in recent years been changing the rules to clean it up, sanitise it and make the game as close to non contact  just so that we go to Sky and demonstrate that we're on top of discipline and it's not a hallions game and that it will appeal to advertisers first and sports viewers second.

Sound.

tiempo

Quote from: orangeman on April 06, 2014, 08:03:49 PM
Right.

So the GAA have in recent years been changing the rules to clean it up, sanitise it and make the game as close to non contact  just so that we go to Sky and demonstrate that we're on top of discipline and it's not a hallions game and that it will appeal to advertisers first and sports viewers second.

Sound.

Yeah, bring the good old days back. First off lets get 40,000 along to the Railway Cup Finals, radio coverage, black and white telly, don't look where you're kicking the ball, after a while we could perhaps allow for glorious technicolour just in time for Laochra Gael Martin O'Connell to tr**p on a mans head splitting him open and sure we'll let him away with it to boot.

Sorry to sound disingenuous to our forefathers there but the decision making of the GAA has stood the test of time and this is an innovative step forward. In this day and age when 4 professional rugby teams and the national rugby team are getting mega exposure the GAA are obliged to try and raise their profile and showcase the games for what they are, world class.

orangeman

Quote from: tiempo on April 06, 2014, 08:13:38 PM
Right.

Sound.

Yeah, bring the good old days back. First off lets get 40,000 along to the Railway Cup Finals, radio coverage, black and white telly, don't look where you're kicking the ball, after a while we could perhaps allow for glorious technicolour just in time for Laochra Gael Martin O'Connell to tr**p on a mans head splitting him open and sure we'll let him away with it to boot.

Sorry to sound disingenuous to our forefathers there but the decision making of the GAA has stood the test of time and this is an innovative step forward. In this day and age when 4 professional rugby teams and the national rugby team are getting mega exposure the GAA are obliged to try and raise their profile and showcase the games for what they are, world class.

You're over reacting.  :)

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 06, 2014, 06:57:51 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2014, 03:10:20 PM
if you would pay  Eur40 pm just to view Sky eventism and style of popular punditry and consider it money well spent, then I'd file that viewpoint as lacking seriousness :)

My personal preferences are irrelevant. It's what the market says that counts.
"The market"  what a cliche :)  That would be a sky marketing issue, which was discussed.

I was referring directly to your personal preference, which are relevant when you express them in a post.
It's common enough that a reply to one of you post will follow.
an example could be,
a simple "+1" or "I agree with you there Eamonn"  or "I think that's a puke opinion Eamonn" or "if you pay 40 eur a month to experience Sky eventism and Sky style punditry, you need your head examined".

Keyser soze

Am I correct in thinking that RTE 1& 2 were already on Sky basic package [apart from in Ireland] and on Freeview, and therefore anyone who had Sky already could have watched these programmes woithout having to pay for a Sky Sports package?

armaghniac

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 07, 2014, 11:59:02 AM
Am I correct in thinking that RTE 1& 2 were already on Sky basic package [apart from in Ireland] and on Freeview, and therefore anyone who had Sky already could have watched these programmes woithout having to pay for a Sky Sports package?

Not in Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Quote from: tiempo on April 06, 2014, 08:13:38 PM
Right.

Sound.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hereiam

They do a deal with sky sports but I cant even watch league Sunday on the RTE player. Sort it out RTE

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on April 07, 2014, 01:26:16 PM
They do a deal with sky sports but I cant even watch league Sunday on the RTE player. Sort it out RTE

If by this you are referring to issues with NI IP numbers, then RTÉ can only recognise an IP as being in NI if your ISP says that it is. Does it and if it does not have you asked your ISP why?

Hereiam

I know the IP is not in the north but how many people's is. The fact is if they want to promote the games outside of Ireland then they should remove this stupid restriction.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on April 07, 2014, 02:03:31 PM
I know the IP is not in the north but how many people's is.

People in the North, I suppose?

QuoteThe fact is if they want to promote the games outside of Ireland then they should remove this stupid restriction.

Do RTÉ currently have rights outside of Ireland? If these have been sold to someone else RTÉ has no choice but to restrict access, no point in blaming them, this is GAA policy. RTÉ can be blamed for plenty of other things it can control.

Hereiam

I live in the north and my ip and my work ip addresses go through leeds england. Last year it went through Glasgow. Dont ask me why. GAA RTE Does it really matter,  it is ridiculous that viewers in the north are denied this service

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on April 07, 2014, 10:20:52 PM
I live in the north and my ip and my work ip addresses go through leeds england. Last year it went through Glasgow. Dont ask me why. GAA RTE Does it really matter,  it is ridiculous that viewers in the north are denied this service

It does matter, blaming RTÉ is pointless and blaming the wrong people means that it never gets sorted. Why don't the useless nationalist politicians ensure that such services can be delivered in the North?