GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

If you're going to boycott every single business that has some involvement in something unethical then you're going to find it very hard to get through your day. I hope you don't buy any petrol from BP after they pumped all that oil into the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago and destroyed all that wildlife.

Rossfan

Is 5thmantackle Lawnseed in disguise?
He obviously went to the same spelling/typing sKoOle anyway :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sidney

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
by dismissing what i wrtie as 'emotive bluster' proves that gombeens like you have no pride, no principles and no morals except for money. i might not have been too happy with bt sports getting it instead, but as much as i know the main shareholders of bt have never stood by their outlets making anti irish slurs, whipping up anti irish feelings in britain, cheerleading for bombs to be dropped on innocent people and calling it 'regime change' or the 'war on terror', or know that journalists you hire are hacking into mobile answerfones of missing children. i am not a hore that is bought and sold easly.

I presume you think Liverpool supporters are people with no morals and no principles because they only boycott The Sun, and still subscribe to Sky in their hundreds of thousands? I'm sure there's even a few who buy The Times.

Why aren't you complaining that the GAA have once again given radio rights to Newstalk? They're owned by Denis O'Brien, a well-known tax avoider and anti-trade union man who also controls INM, which also cheerled the Iraq War.

Where's your consistency here?

THE MIGHTY QUINN

GAA TV cash should be going direct into a players fund

Zulu

Can you list the companies and countries which meet your ethical standards and provide links or histories of these companies and countries that prove they meet these exacting standards? Can you also tells us if we can ignore the behaviour of companies and countries before a certain date, for example can we buy anything from Germany or are they still guilty by association with Nazism?

If I understand your point, in between insulting all and sundry, it's the GAA shouldn't deal with Sky. Your objection is nothing to do with pensioners not being able to afford it or 'true gaels' having to pay for GAA matches, it's simply that Sky don't meet your ethical standards?

Sidney

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 03, 2014, 07:22:25 PM
Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 06:59:05 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 03, 2014, 06:51:33 PMThis thread is some craic now the new lads have come on board. Prime Time - check. Live Line -Check. Now, you take gaaboard and ill phone Stephen Nolan.
as i said earlier, gombeens get scared when people with principles and morals speak out.

What's your principles? That as long as everyone in Ireland is ok, well feck everyone who has for one reason or another had to emigrate? As long as you get EVERY SINGLE game for FREE, you don't care if the millions of Irish abroad get to see ANY of the games. You have principles for yourself only and the greatest principle you stand up for is the principle of being outraged at every opportunity and insulting anyone who disagrees, by in some way inferring they are less Irish than you. I'm sure  Joe Duffy loves you guys.

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 07:01:46 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 03, 2014, 06:53:31 PM
Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
Quote from: passedit on April 03, 2014, 05:39:21 PMPersonally ICGAF if Sky got all the games.
got mine, f**k you eh?

That's exactly the attitude of many of the whingers who don't seem to care about ex-pat viewers who faced a paywall for years.
two wrongs dont make a right.

And where was your moral outrage when this wrong was occurring? It didn't impact on you so you didn't care! Principles - my ass!

where did i say that i should get to watch every single game for free? i have not. where did I say that irish men and women abroad should not have any access to gaa games? i have not either. i have insulted nobody except the gombeens of this island and elsewhere who resort to lying and smears when they get shown up and challenged. no wonder bertie ahern and fianna fail where in power for so long, you elect the people you deserve.

my principles are that i will not deal with or buy products or services from businesses, companies and countries which have poor ethics, human and workers rights and are also corrupt or aid corruption. the gaa i would like to take such a role themselves with their place in irish society. news corp are as grubby as they come anywhere on this planet, for that reason i refuse to subscribe to sky, buy the sun or the english times. as another example some people here boycott goods made in israel. 30 years ago dunne stores workers went on strike in a recession to support a boycott of selling products brought from white rule south africa, how many irish people today would say that they should shut up and be lucky to have a job but also said that nelson mandela was a great guy? sadly i think there would be a lot.

oh i think the gaa rights package agreed now is a great deal for those outside of ireland and uk compared to what was there before. i do think about people other than myself, including irish men and women who have went abroad, especially those who have had to emigrate to work thanks to the gombeens who have ruined ireland and i think more should be done to help them connect closer to home. but rather than ask a question, you would prefer to make shit up. ::)
The only gombeen here is yourself for trying to make a comparison between the Dunnes Stores Apartheid strike and nine matches that were free to air last year going to a subscription TV service.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Elaborate 5thManTackle, you can't put yourself on a moral pedestal and not explain what is ok and what is not ok, in your opinion, of course. So answer my questions please?

Sidney

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 08:43:50 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 03, 2014, 07:57:23 PM
I presume you think Liverpool supporters are people with no morals and no principles because they only boycott The Sun, and still subscribe to Sky in their hundreds of thousands? I'm sure there's even a few who buy The Times.

Why aren't you complaining that the GAA have once again given radio rights to Newstalk? They're owned by Denis O'Brien, a well-known tax avoider and anti-trade union man who also controls INM, which also cheerled the Iraq War.

Where's your consistency here?
not just liverpool supporters that boycott the sun, everton fans dont buy lots of copies of it too. the target is the sun because of the lies and smears they printed over hillsborough. you need to ask them why some subscribe to sky as im not a liverpool or everton fan. slightly hypocritical in my view but the boycott is principled. only begrudgers would oppose them.

its funny that you name denis o brien like its a bad thing when you say that the gaa should maximise its revenue streams yet o brien is doing the same. :D :D ireland has made its own rod in its back with its tax laws, and tax avoidance isnt illegal. tax evasion is. also o brien could bluster all he wanted about iraq. he has no voice where it mattered the most, in washington and london unlike murdoch. denis o brien is a big fish in a small pond. i dont boycott things just because i dont always agree 100% with their politics. also newstalks radio coverage is not as good as rte but do those who whinge about the lack of tv3s coverage do the same about newstalk?

my consistency extends beyond just the gaa and the murdochs in my life. consistency is something gombeens fail to really understand.
But you haven't been consistent. You're a hypocrite. You say you're principled but yet you've just defended tax avoidance, despite it being ethically questionable at best. You say won't oppose Liverpool fans for not boycotting Sky and The Times because you'd be a "begrudger" yet you're ranting about the GAA giving 9 matches that were on TV3 last year to Sky this year.

i dont boycott things just because i dont always agree 100% with their politics.

I find that line quite funny, given your previous rants. Where are your principles now?

Oh yeah, by the way, I try not to buy Israeli goods if possible. I try to avoid buying Nestle products if possible. I don't buy The Sun or the any of the INM stable of newspapers. I've never given even a low number vote to Fianna Fail or Fine Gael. I have no love for Rupert Murdoch. These are my personal choices but I'm not going to impose them onto anybody else.

Do I think that Sky Sports are a top class broadcaster? Yes. Do I see that they can benefit the GAA in terms of coverage and promotion of the games and in terms of maximising revenue? Hell, yes.

Sidney

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 09:09:15 PM
Quote from: Sidney on April 03, 2014, 08:29:20 PMThe only gombeen here is yourself for trying to make a comparison between the Dunnes Stores Apartheid strike and nine matches that were free to air last year going to a subscription TV service.
nope. im making a comparison between a boycott against apartheid and a boycott against a company whos main shareholder corrupts law and democracy.
either your mind is too simple or you should join bennyharp in the liars corner. ;)
Again I'll refer you to what you wrote above:

i dont boycott things just because i dont always agree 100% with their politics.

You really are all over the place, here.

LeoMc

Quote from: Black Card on April 03, 2014, 05:40:31 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 02, 2014, 10:23:14 AM

Anyone living in Ireland who wants to see a certain 9 games games (many of which didn't even exist a few years ago), don't have a subscription and are too lazy/unable to get to the actual match  - losers

You really are a most hateful and unlikable soul, what about people who lived for GAA but now in later life have mobility issues and no intention of paying 30 quid a monthof their pension for the ability to watch the matches.

That would pay into a right few matches if they were really all that bothered.

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2014, 07:43:40 PM
Is 5thmantackle Lawnseed in disguise?
He obviously went to the same spelling/typing sKoOle anyway :)

He is hitting a higher than normal count of Gombeens but hasn't mentioned dung outs so I am not so sure, definitely a regular acting the WUM. Registered since 2010 and only a few token bits of bait laid out in all that time.

haze

Can someone speculate an answer to this.. 2 quarter football quarter finals on Sky this year; 2 on RTE. And let's for purposes of this question assume Dublin Kerry being on Sky and Mayo Cork being on RTE.

Which game country wide will have the most viewers and what will the discrepancy be?

My guess is Mayo and Cork with a significant discrepancy between the two. How can anyone in all seriousness make an argument that in such an instance having Sky Sports on board INCREASES the exposure if our games in Ireland?? And that point is made with no disrespect to Mayo Cork, I am just alluding to the Dublin Kerry game after last years thriller.

I remember reading before an article about the impact of viewing figures in Ireland after the Heineken Cup moved from terrestrial to Sky. While I can't find it now on a quick Google search I did stumble across another similar paper, http://historyhub.ie/the-impact-of-pay-tv-on-sport , which sets out the significant decreases in viewing figures.

While I currently pay for Sky Sports and will even more happily continue to do so and somewhat excited by what they will bring (especially the mid week show) I am struggling to decide whether this is in the Associations best interests

Edit: just to add I wrote this before hearing Dr Paul Rouse on Off the Ball on podcast talking about exact same point!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: haze on April 03, 2014, 10:21:40 PM
How can anyone in all seriousness make an argument that in such an instance having Sky Sports on board INCREASES the exposure if our games in Ireland??

Why does it always have to be about Ireland?

Ireland isn't the only country in the world containing GAA fans or GAA volunteers who work hard to promote the association's community ethos.

Sidney

Quote from: FiFtH mAn TaCkLe on April 03, 2014, 10:02:40 PM

the rest of you gombeens, good night!!!! dont whinge to mummy and daddy :D:D
I think you've used up the whole whinging quota of the forum for the night.