GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on April 02, 2014, 03:14:36 PM
Thank God I never listen to Jow Whinge but can imagine the type of sh1te especially when RTE are an affected party.
Of course rubby didn't get a rough ride from RTE.
It along with English Premier Soccer are the RTE peoples'  National Sports after all.

Which, of course, is almost exclusively live on Sky Sports, unless you have BT Sports which is also pay per view in the republic.

Jinxy

If you could rig the RTE switchboard to deliver an electric-shock during Liveline, the national average IQ would jump up.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lazer

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:09:40 PM
This is on the Sky website. Maybe an option for people who don't want to fork out the money for a full sky subscription?

GAA fans with a Sky Sports subscription can watch live on TV, online and on mobile and tablet devices via Sky Go or the award-winning Sky Sports for iPad app, which are both free for subscribers to download at no extra cost. Non-subscribers can also watch these games on mobile, which is a first in Ireland, by downloading the Sky Sports TV app for just £4.99/€5.99 a month.

This is a good option, i would actually think about this and maybe get it if My own County were playing in a match that for some reason I wasn't able to go too - it's nice that there is another option that doesn't involve paying £37 a month to Sky, but would be preferable if it wasn't app and was available trought the sky box (without active sky subscription) as my internet connection is rubbish.

I still do not agree with GAA games being behind a paywall, but as long as sky don't start dictating what games they get etc. RTE should always get first pick and should never have less games than they do now, then it is not important in the grand scheme of things.

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

AZOffaly

Now that it's happening, who would you like to see on the matchday panels. Who are hurling and football equivalents of Gary Neville or (shudder) Jamie Redknapp. I don't care who they get as long as they deliver their analysis in a way which shows they actually enjoy the games. If they *don't* enjoy the games, then don't be on the panel.

Hurling: Daith Regan/Michael Duignan/Jamsie O'Connor maybe? Can't see new viewers taking to Cyril, Ger Loughnane or Tomás Mulcahy.
Football : Dara O'Cinneide maybe? Darragh O'Sé? Jarlath Burns? Anyone else untainted by RTE's cynicism?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Lazer on April 02, 2014, 03:42:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:09:40 PM
This is on the Sky website. Maybe an option for people who don't want to fork out the money for a full sky subscription?

GAA fans with a Sky Sports subscription can watch live on TV, online and on mobile and tablet devices via Sky Go or the award-winning Sky Sports for iPad app, which are both free for subscribers to download at no extra cost. Non-subscribers can also watch these games on mobile, which is a first in Ireland, by downloading the Sky Sports TV app for just £4.99/€5.99 a month.

This is a good option, i would actually think about this and maybe get it if My own County were playing in a match that for some reason I wasn't able to go too - it's nice that there is another option that doesn't involve paying £37 a month to Sky, but would be preferable if it wasn't app and was available trought the sky box (without active sky subscription) as my internet connection is rubbish.

I still do not agree with GAA games being behind a paywall, but as long as sky don't start dictating what games they get etc. RTE should always get first pick and should never have less games than they do now, then it is not important in the grand scheme of things.

As long as RTE do the games a service, as opposed to a disservice, then I agree with you. Maybe this will make RTE look at themselves a bit.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 03:44:04 PM
Now that it's happening, who would you like to see on the matchday panels. Who are hurling and football equivalents of Gary Neville or (shudder) Jamie Redknapp. I don't care who they get as long as they deliver their analysis in a way which shows they actually enjoy the games. If they *don't* enjoy the games, then don't be on the panel.

Hurling: Daith Regan/Michael Duignan/Jamsie O'Connor maybe? Can't see new viewers taking to Cyril, Ger Loughnane or Tomás Mulcahy.
Football : Dara O'Cinneide maybe? Darragh O'Sé? Jarlath Burns? Anyone else untainted by RTE's cynicism?
enda mcginley & mcgeeney were both pretty good when on the BBC last year.
please god not martin mchugh
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AQMP

Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2014, 03:04:26 PM
Have the words 'Grab All Association' been used yet?

What about "Gah"?

Sure with the Sky money it'll reduce the need for draws this year.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2014, 03:46:58 PM
The concern among the people I've spoken to is that this is a 'foot in the door' job and before long Sky will take the lot.

Hard to know if that will be the case but we do know that money talks and Sky have money.

That is something different, and something i would be against as well.
As AZ suggested , tehy should be a motion passed that the all ireland semis & finals of both codes are always to be broadcast on free to air channels.

I think they have something similar in england with the FA cup final
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

squire_in_navy_slacks

Sell out / Sold out bastards the lot of them

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on April 02, 2014, 03:10:40 PM
Has Joe nothing more important to be talking about, such as Shatter and his goings on and the tapping of phones in both Prisons and Garda Stations.

Did the rugby lot get this much grief when the HC went over to Sky?
did the woman from Clontarf say anything interesting ?

Bingo

Some of the reaction to this is way out of proportion.

Typical of the island we live on really - people love to be outraged and be seen to be outraged.

Zulu

The thing is, whatever about anchors or commentators there is a potential treasure trove of analysts who could be used. Though I think they might need to be a bit more urban than some knowledgeable people would be, no point in saying something insightful if nobody across the water can understand you :).

I think McStay (not everyone's cup of tea I know), Canavan, O'Cinneide, Conor Deegan and Anthony Moyles would be good options. There are definitely good ex-players and managers that haven't got a good crack at it on a national level that would be excellent.

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

The thing is, whatever about anchors or commentators there is a potential treasure trove of analysts who could be used. Though I think they might need to be a bit more urban than some knowledgeable people would be, no point in saying something insightful if nobody across the water can understand you :).

I think McStay (not everyone's cup of tea I know), Canavan, O'Cinneide, Conor Deegan and Anthony Moyles would be good options. There are definitely good ex-players and managers that haven't got a good crack at it on a national level that would be excellent.
Do they have to be ex-players or ex managers? Watching Marty Morrissey's thing last year I was thinking journalists are often far more interesting than the former player/manager crowd.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-president-shocked-by-aggressive-rt%C3%A9-interviews-1.1747424

GAA president Liam O'Neill says he was "shocked" by the "aggressive" RTÉ interviews he and director general Páraic Duffy took part in on Tuesday, in relation to association's decision to sell media rights to Sky.

armaghniac

QuoteHas Joe nothing more important to be talking about, such as Shatter and his goings on and the tapping of phones in both Prisons and Garda Stations.

Whineline is always like this.

QuoteDid I hear right, that during one of the advert breaks during Liveline they had an advert for Sky? Such clowns.

Yes, Sky are clowns to put an ad there.

QuoteAs AZ suggested , tehy should be a motion passed that the all ireland semis & finals of both codes are always to be broadcast on free to air channels.

This may hardly be needed, as there is government legislation on the matter, at least for the finals.

QuoteGAA president Liam O'Neill says he was "shocked" by the "aggressive" RTÉ interviews he and director general Páraic Duffy took part in on Tuesday, in relation to association's decision to sell media rights to Sky.

Bollix, he was asked fair questions. What does he expect?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B