GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Still listening and Joe hasn't any intention of putting a different side to it. Shay is now defending it.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
Actually had to stop listening after 10 minutes because it was making me angry. Unchallenged hyperbolic statements being allowed to sit out there. One woman said this would kill her mother. For f**ks sake.
Sky doing their bit for natural selection so....another bonus point to Sky from me.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 02:33:40 PM
Still listening and Joe hasn't any intention of putting a different side to it. Shay is now defending it.

RTE are happy to stir the pot and sit back on this one, just look at prime time last night.
They've nothing to gain and potentially everything to lose from Sky entering the GAA market.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:59:41 PM
Yeah, I'm interested in the midweek show they have planned. Will it be Rachel Wyse and a few others doing a revista la liga type show? That would be worth watching. I actually just laughed out loud at the thoughts of Daithi Regan doing that show :D

Was referring to RTE "revamping" their midweek show (again). This time they'll have to do it properly. Don't have Sky so not aware what their magazine type programmes are like but I'll certainly be having a look for a few streams during the summer. Regan and a few other agricultural heads (I'm thinking Joe Cooney and the O'Connor brothers) sitting alongside Rachel Wyse would be quite the sight. Not sure how appealing it would be to the 10.whatever million viewers in Britain though. ;D

Another plus point for me is TG4 getting a run out in Croker on AI final day, which they deserve for the coverage of the different competitions they put on throughout the year. The traditionalists will love to see the minor final presented back in Irish as well (I know the commentary was in Irish on 3e before anyone says).
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I genuinely understand the point that some (maybe a lot) of people will not be able to view games that they were able to view on TV3 before, but I think the overreaction is crazy. some of the statements made on that show would make you despair.

In context, if you have no SKY, no Internet access, and no interest in going to the pub or whatever, you will STILL be able to see 31 live games on RTE.

I can also understand the 'thin end of the wedge' fears, but again we have 3 years to bring a motion to Croke Park to safeguard that if you like. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to some of the comments. Two of the most ridiculous (apart from the mother whose card is marked because of this) were...

Man in Galway... What will I do if one of Galway's matches are on Sky?
Possible answer a) Go to game (shock horror), b) go to pub or a friend just this once.

Also, what will that poor man do when Galway play a game that's not on EITHER RTE or Sky? The humanity!!

Woman somewhere else .... 'You'll have people having to go to their pubs to watch their children playing the games'. The premise is that having given up their time bringing kids to games, and then when they play in a championship match, unless you have Sky you have to go to the pub to watch it.

This is bizarre on so many levels, but primarily I'd be hoping that if my young lad is fortunate to play for Tipp, I'll be there watching it. You know. At the game.

And by the way, when Joe asked the lady who spoke about this killing her mother would she bring her around to watch the game in her house (she has sky). The answer 'No we won't do that because she's normally out at matches anyway'.

You couldn't make it up.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:43:31 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 01:42:21 PM
That's the spirit AZ, when all else fails pig headed blind optimism will see us through!

Hey, it worked for us for years. That's our problem. Not enough pig headedness these days!

The Offaly lads would want to do a bit of training between now and then.
I don't want lads with beer guts hanging out over their shorts showing us up in front of a global audience.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2014, 02:50:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2014, 01:43:31 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 02, 2014, 01:42:21 PM
That's the spirit AZ, when all else fails pig headed blind optimism will see us through!

Hey, it worked for us for years. That's our problem. Not enough pig headedness these days!

The Offaly lads would want to do a bit of training between now and then.
I don't want lads with beer guts hanging out over their shorts showing us up in front of a global audience.

Lovely wristy hurlers though.

Zulu

Now a pub owner is hammering Nicky Brennan for saying pubs are bad, Jesus it's a wonder the GAA has managed to survive when it can't do right by so many people.

blewuporstuffed

Jesus this Liveline show is woeful.
No chance of any balance to this debate????
some of the unchallenged rubbish people are phoning in with is unreal
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tubberman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 02, 2014, 03:01:00 PM

And Joe Duffy is quick to move on to the next caller if anyone tries to be reasonable or is in favour.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jinxy

Have the words 'Grab All Association' been used yet?

Zulu

Quote from: Tubberman on April 02, 2014, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 02, 2014, 03:01:00 PM

And Joe Duffy is quick to move on to the next caller if anyone tries to be reasonable or is in favour.

Exactly, he seemed to try an undercut one guy by saying GAA on RTE wasn't free as they were paying for it. Awful stuff.

johnneycool

Has Joe nothing more important to be talking about, such as Shatter and his goings on and the tapping of phones in both Prisons and Garda Stations.

Did the rugby lot get this much grief when the HC went over to Sky?

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on April 02, 2014, 03:10:40 PM
Has Joe nothing more important to be talking about, such as Shatter and his goings on and the tapping of phones in both Prisons and Garda Stations.

Did the rugby lot get this much grief when the HC went over to Sky?

I do remember George Hook and Brent Pope having a good auld whinge about it in Thomond Park after one of the games there, but I don't think it was like this. And Sky took ALL the HEC games.

Rossfan

Thank God I never listen to Jow Whinge but can imagine the type of sh1te especially when RTE are an affected party.
Of course rubby didn't get a rough ride from RTE.
It along with English Premier Soccer are the RTE peoples'  National Sports after all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM