GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Not quite Bingo - the Sky package is a little bigger than TV3's used to be as there are more games being covered this year.

screenexile

Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2014, 05:04:44 PM
So do premier sports still get to show the RTE covered games in Britain?

RTE  - same package as before
SKY - TV3 package plus get to show the semi-finals and finals.
TG4 - same package as before
Setanta - same package as before
Chanel 7 Australia - show live championship games, 45 or so.
US - some live streaming online package.

No idea where premier sports fits in.

BBC?

Zulu

They basically just show games televised in Ireland whether by RTE, TG4 or setanta with their own commentator. There's no studio analysis shown on their coverage. I'm only wondering as we pay for that too and if the GAA is gone then it's gone.

Bingo

Quote from: screenexile on April 01, 2014, 05:17:30 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2014, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2014, 05:04:44 PM
So do premier sports still get to show the RTE covered games in Britain?

RTE  - same package as before
SKY - TV3 package plus get to show the semi-finals and finals.
TG4 - same package as before
Setanta - same package as before
Chanel 7 Australia - show live championship games, 45 or so.
US - some live streaming online package.

No idea where premier sports fits in.

BBC?

They will show Ulster games that RTE are showing.

Bingo

Quote from: easytiger95 on April 01, 2014, 05:16:00 PM
Not quite Bingo - the Sky package is a little bigger than TV3's used to be as there are more games being covered this year.

Sky have 14 games plus the semi's and finals - that's 20 in total.

I don't think TV3 had the semi's and finals. Did they have less than 14?

GalwayBayBoy

On the yellow ticker on Sky Sports News now.

Bingo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 01, 2014, 05:30:38 PM

Has Jim White got the Bantys phone number yet?

easytiger95

Bingo TV3's first contract was for nine games up to the quarter finals (plus any replays that accrued) and then for their second contract they got the same plus the two minor finals.

orangeman

Paraic Duffy, Director General of the GAA said: "We are delighted to have awarded Sky Sports the rights to show a third of the televised games in the season.

"This agreement will boost our reach to new audiences in the UK as well as secure a new depth of coverage for viewers in Ireland. This is great news for fans, players and the sport and look forward to working with the best in the business."

Good for players ?

RTE will love that last comment.

5 Sams

My immediate reaction is no harm done.....yet....we'll see how it develops over the years.
The Aristocrat Years

Redhand Santa

Great deal meaning Gaelic games are more widely available than ever before. It's was not a financial decision but a promotional one. Some of the claims by backward members within the organisation would lead you to scratch your head. Why for example does paying your club membership give you more of a right than some one who is a club member in the uk to see the game?

It's a small number of games and free to air only loses 9 that were on tv3 last year which weren't available across Ireland anyway. People will still have the option to go to games or get sky or go to a friends or go to a pub to see the sky games.

Will be great to see them hyping up the all Ireland finals across the uk. Looking forward to seeing what they can do from a promotional point of view.

Sidney

Channel 7 showing all 45 matches live and free to air in Australia is an outstanding deal on the GAA's part, in my view.

I think the RTE/Sky balance has been struck right for this deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 31/14 split of exclusive live matches reversed for the next deal, and that's the worry I would have.

I'm excited to see how Sky cover Gaelic Games, however - not just in terms of their live coverage, but how they promote the games on Sky Sports News etc.

The online streaming service should be a significant leap forward in terms of international access also.

I haven't seen what the arrangements are for the leagues but it's about time some proper coverage was given to them by RTE.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on April 01, 2014, 05:32:35 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 01, 2014, 05:30:38 PM

Has Jim White got the Bantys phone number yet?
f**k me but they could have used more modern pictures!
They have Nicky English in one of them!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Eamonnca1

The Australian part of the deal is what caught my eye. Apparently Channel 7 is the highest rating terrestrial channel in Oz.  This is a big deal.