Hole In The Wall Gang

Started by Under Lights, March 27, 2014, 08:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

QuoteA telescopic forklift has been used in an early morning raid on a cash machine in Donaghmore. The long armed machine was used to remove the ATM at an Emo service station on the edge of the village on the Pomeroy Road. Police were alerted to the raid at 4am this morning (Wednesday), arriving on the scene at 5am and sealing it off. The forklift, which was armed with two prongs, was found close by on the Gortnagola Road, which links Donaghmore with Galbally. Local SDLP Councillor Jim Cavanagh said people will be "shocked at hearing what happened in such a quiet, rural area". Appealing for anyone with information to contact police, he said, "This lawlessness has to be combated, not just by the police but the entire community." - See more at: http://ulsterherald.com/2014/03/26/digger-used-in-donaghmore-atm-raid/#sthash.ggvUAQlX.dpuf

QuoteA 'significant amount' of money has been stolen from a Tesco cash machine after thieves dug a 50ft tunnel to gain access to it.

Officers believe the thieves may have spent a number of months digging the tunnel because of the amount of planning involved and the complex nature of the underground structure.

The theft occurred at 6am last Friday at the Liverpool Road Tesco Express in Eccles, Greater Manchester, and police are now appealing for anyone with information to come forward.

The tunnel was dug under nearby wasteland before thieves gained access to the Tesco (Picture: Greater Manchester Police)
The tunnel was dug under nearby wasteland before thieves gained access to the Tesco store (Picture: Greater Manchester Police)
'These people had obviously spent a long time plotting this crime and I doubt they would have been able to keep their plans secret for all that time, without telling others about their elaborate scheme,' explained DS Mark Toker.

Thieves tunnelled under nearby wasteland and took cash boxes from the shop before escaping back down the tunnel.

'The offenders must have spent long periods of time in the area over the last few months, which people may have noticed,' said DS Toker.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have seen people 'covered in soil' in the area (Picture: Greater Manchester Police)
Police are appealing for anyone who may have seen people 'covered in soil' in the area over the past few months (Picture: Greater Manchester Police)
'You may have seen people acting suspiciously on Friday night, possibly covered in soil.'

Similar tunnel burglaries have occurred in the Greater Manchester area in the past with the perpetrators dubbed the 'mole gang' – although police have not confirmed if this latest incident is linked.

How much would be in an ATM?

Black Card

Quote from: Under Lights on March 27, 2014, 08:41:15 AM

Wouldn't be much - I tried to take £30 out the other day and it said there was insufficient funds.

Under Lights

Quote from: Black Card on March 27, 2014, 08:50:34 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on March 27, 2014, 08:41:15 AM

Wouldn't be much - I tried to take £30 out the other day and it said there was insufficient funds.

:D :D

I think the one in Fintona that was stolen was said to have £5k in it. It was one of them stand alone machines though- not the one built into the building.

The paper was reporting that the Tesco one in Liverpool had £80K in it.

I know the

EC Unique

Do these machines not cover the money with dye as soon as they are tampered with so as to render the money useless?

haranguerer

armaghniac

Quote from: EC Unique on March 27, 2014, 10:02:30 AM
Do these machines not cover the money with dye as soon as they are tampered with so as to render the money useless?

I never understand why they do not. It shouldn't be rocket science to develop a mechanism that would not be affected by ordinary events, but which would trigger if the thing was pulled from the wall.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Under Lights

The tunnelling for the one in Liverpool was impressive.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Under Lights on March 27, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

Excuse me that was Manchester. On the Liverpool Road.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 27, 2014, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on March 27, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

Excuse me that was Manchester. On the Liverpool Road.

Some tunnel then.

Black Card

Wonder what they did with all that dirt - oh wait!

Mackay: There is one question I'd like to ask... [crosses to door and checks nobody is outside] What became of the soil that was excavated from the tunnel?
Fletch: Ah now, wait a minute, I don't know what you're imagining about our relationship, but do not presume you've got a new informer in your back pocket. Everything's just the same, it's still them and us, I'm still on the side of us.
Mackay: Perfectly harmless question, Fletcher, for future reference. I just want to know they disposed of the soil.
Fletch: [insistently] I can't help ya!
[Mackay smiles, takes a green bottle of whisky from his packet, shows it to Fletcher and places it on his dinner tray]
Mackay: Scotland's finest.
Fletch: [checking the bottle] With a couple of nips out of it, I see.
Mackay: Well, still a rare treat.
Fletch: Bribes, is it?
Mackay: Christmas present.
[Fletch reaches for the bottle again, but Mackay rests a finger on it to stop him]
Mackay: Come along Fletcher. Just between you and me.
Fletch: Is that door closed?
Mackay: [grinning triumphantly] Oh yes. And there's no-one outside.
Fletch: Christmas present?
Mackay: Christmas present.
[Fletch takes the bottle, unscrews the cap and takes a glass]
Fletch: You wanna know how they disposed of the soil?
Mackay: Simple as that.
Fletch: I'll tell ya.
Mackay: I thought you might.
Fletch: [pouring himself some whisky and leaning in close] They dug another tunnel and put the earth down there.