The latest annoying social media trend thread

Started by Eamonnca1, March 20, 2014, 02:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

well it's raised $4million from 70,000 donations in just over 2 weeks - so it's doing something

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 15, 2014, 12:08:31 AM
well it's raised $4million from 70,000 donations in just over 2 weeks - so it's doing something

Suppose. How long till they find the cure?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gabriel_Hurl

It won't be tomorrow - but what harm is there in raising awareness ???

stew

Gab you are absolutely correct. ALA is an awful disease and God bless those who donate to rid the world of thid affliction!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

haranguerer

The end doesn't always justify the means. Its attention seeking shite and does my head in.

Saffrongael

Quote from: haranguerer on August 15, 2014, 08:12:19 AM
The end doesn't always justify the means. Its attention seeking shite and does my head in.

Perfect for FB and the like then if it's attention seeking
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

AZOffaly

Serious question. What harm does it do? I've seen a tenuous article that questions it's impact, but in general what harm does it do? As far as I'm concerned I don't watch the videos, unless it's a cool one like Paul Bissonette (the Coyotes' hockey player), but at least it's not like the neknomination one where the potential for harm was obvious.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

Serious question. What harm does it do? I've seen a tenuous article that questions it's impact, but in general what harm does it do? As far as I'm concerned I don't watch the videos, unless it's a cool one like Paul Bissonette (the Coyotes' hockey player), but at least it's not like the neknomination one where the potential for harm was obvious.

Ah FFS, its just a bit of craic whilst raising a few quid for a charity, no harm in it, just like the non makeup one.

Now that neck nomination one was always going to lead to a bit of harm for someone..

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on August 15, 2014, 08:53:22 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

Ah FFS, its just a bit of craic whilst raising a few quid for a charity, no harm in it, just like the non makeup one.

Now that neck nomination one was always going to lead to a bit of harm for someone..
That's my feelings on it too. I wouldn't do it myself, nor would I post anything about it on Facebook. But sure live and let live. I have some friends that post all this stuff to/about their wife on it and I can't understand that at all. Why not just say it to the girl?

haranguerer

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25487940/dnr-dont-rise-to-cold-water-challenge

http://qz.com/249649/the-cold-hard-truth-about-the-ice-bucket-challenge/

I'm not calling for it to be banned, I'm just saying it sickens my hole.

Its got very little to do with charity - charity is merely the camouflage for the attention seeking individuals who start this sh*t.

AZOffaly

But how can you say it's got little to do with charity, if the charitable donations to the 'cause' are up so much as a result?

haranguerer

Its about intentions. Thats very much a secondary consequence imo. Also, read the second link

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 09:06:48 AM

But sure live and let live.

That's my only way of finding a way to understand these things.

It's like when people post their undying love for someone, be it a son or a mother or whatever, and the object of their affection isn't even on that particular social platform and most likely won't see it....then who was that proclamation actually for? But, live and let live.

Or selfies or pics of their children/house/dinner....or letting their world know that they feel great.....but live and let live as you say. Or turn it off.

I need to go back to work.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

The second link seems to be from a lad who runs a different non profit, and he is giving out because people are donating to these crazes instead of his own. That's fair enough, but sure that's the same reason why all these charities advertise and all. At the end of the day, they are all competing for a finite amount of cash, and whatever makes you donate to them is worth it as far as they are concerned.

I'm not a major fan of them or anything, and I wouldn't acknowledge a nomination, but I don't think they do any real harm.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2014, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 15, 2014, 09:06:48 AM

But sure live and let live.

That's my only way of finding a way to understand these things.

It's like when people post their undying love for someone, be it a son or a mother or whatever, and the object of their affection isn't even on that particular social platform and most likely won't see it....then who was that proclamation actually for? But, live and let live.

Or selfies or pics of their children/house/dinner....or letting their world know that they feel great.....but live and let live as you say. Or turn it off.

I need to go back to work.

Well I can see how pics of holidays etc are interesting to friends. I do that myself :) And I like looking at friends pictures of things like that.

The whole 'I love you so much, you're the best in the world, blah blah', that I don't understand. some things should remain between the two people involved :)