Dublin V Mayo, Saturday 29th March2014. Croke Park 7.00 pm.

Started by moysider, March 19, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 30, 2014, 04:34:55 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 30, 2014, 02:33:42 PM
Not having a go at you for 'sticking the boot in the management', but, does anybody seriously think our 1 to 9 is as good as anyone elses. I mean, 2-19, 2-15, 1-13, 3-9, 2-14 and now 3-14... I was worried against Kildare when we conceded 2-19, but to keep this high concession rate going in every league match, it seems odd to me that we have the best backs in the country.

As an aside, I haven't seen Derry at all yet, but they drew with Tyrone (who beat us by 6), and beat Dublin by 6 (who we could only draw with). I cannot get over the sheer condescending manner of which Mayo fans are viewing Derry. And they will come to C'bar high in confidence in getting something too.

Derry will have semi final spot secured after today. The amount Mayo are conceding has to be a concern however you are one win away from reaching the semi final and should have beaten the All Ireland champions last night. Reading over this thread i'd wonder what you Mayo supporters would be like if in division two and not knowing if you are coming or going?

Don't take a look at the comments on mayogaablog.com so, some are discussing who should replace Horan...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on March 30, 2014, 04:39:36 PM
Not having a go at you for 'sticking the boot in the management', but, does anybody seriously think our 1 to 9 is as good as anyone elses. I mean, 2-19, 2-15, 1-13, 3-9, 2-14 and now 3-14... I was worried against Kildare when we conceded 2-19, but to keep this high concession rate going in every league match, it seems odd to me that we have the best backs in the country.

As an aside, I haven't seen Derry at all yet, but they drew with Tyrone (who beat us by 6), and beat Dublin by 6 (who we could only draw with). I cannot get over the sheer condescending manner of which Mayo fans are viewing Derry. And they will come to C'bar high in confidence in getting something too.

Derry will have semi final spot secured after today. The amount Mayo are conceding has to be a concern however you are one win away from reaching the semi final and should have beaten the All Ireland champions last night. Reading over this thread i'd wonder what you Mayo supporters would be like if in division two and not knowing if you are coming or going?

Don't take a look at the comments on mayogaablog.com so, some are discussing who should replace Horan...

Horan is the best thing to happen to Mayo in years.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

I'd go into meltdown. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 30, 2014, 04:49:27 PM

I'd go into meltdown. ;D

Can't imagine division 2 football, would have to wear rubber gloves and a facemask.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Blowitupref

I did last night and can't get my head around it either. Mayo were at a crossroads when he arrived would Mayo have become one of the best sides in Ireland without Horan?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on March 30, 2014, 03:28:42 PM
If I was Aidan O'Shea i'd be ringing Ciaran Whelan and asking him what to do about criticism like the above - Jaysis lads the Dubs were destroyed at midfied last night, and we were five points down I think when AOS left the park - it was taking all of McAuley's energy to keep an eye on him and when he left suddenly MDM started running at Mayo.

Don't make the same mistake we made with Whelo, expecting him to do it all, all the time and all alone. At his best o'Shea is awesome, and when he is mediocre he is still a head above most on the pitch.

I agree 100%.

As Mayo supporters we are not allowed to criticise management, but we seem to want to crucify our best players. Padden, McHale, McDonald and now O'Shea - all have seen the benefit the wisdom of the average Mayo supporter.

O'Shea was excellent, his ball winning is superb, having won the ball he always breaks free of the tacklers and his decision making was the main reason we kept the scoreboard ticking over. As EasyTiger says, it was also the reason we stopped playing at the end.

O'Shea took an awful lot of punishment for the team yesterday and despite being the dominant midfielder on view he is roasted by his own. There aren't that many Mayo players that would walk onto the Dublin team, but he would be a cert.
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

+ 1 mayo are miles ahead of where they were anytime in last 15 years.

Re Mayo gaablog,  Willie joe seems like a decent genuine person, they are some intelligent blogers on that site, who provide some interesting points, but there are some real clowns who appear to have graduated from hogan stand university.

points regarding last night, no particular order, and i will preface my comments by saying that I totally respect the effort the players are putting in.

Donal Vaughan, why when in possession does he choose kick the ball into a 50/50 situation, he should watch a video of that game 50 times. If he does not change he should be replaced otherwise opposing teams will just back off him, given his poor kick passing and poor shooting averages.

A O Se, mixed review, MDM only touched the ball twice in the first half, I thought Dublin were being cleaned out at midfield even prior to sending off. why oh why doe A O SE continue to over carry the ball, he is in incredible shape but can only take some many tackles in a game before he is shagged. other teams have to be taking note of this. Do not agree that his subbing was the reason we drew, Parsons caught two kick outs after he was introduced, mistakes were made elsewhere.

Hennelly great shotstopper, but caught off line for first goal, when he had ample coverage. he also blasted a clearance forty yard alone the ground when he had a colleague open six feet away. that led directly to a Dublin point, next series resulted in Dublins second goal.  Also got lucky with another shitty clearance in second half. Q why was he kicking ball out long in last twenty mins when we were well ahead and a man up. were dublin continually able to cover our extra man, i would doubt it.

Andy Moran, not sure what to say, a lot of good mixed in with a fair bit of bad. it is now very evident that he no longer possess the speed for the modern game, this was highlighted in second half when he got possession a yard ahead of a dublin back, and instead of heading straight for goal, he checked back and laid the ball off. The arising around at the end of the game, it is maybe okay to pass four or five times laterally, but again with an extra man no excuse for not moving ball forward, in the last ffinn minute three points up. Stupid stupid.

Alan freeman, does more of the blame go to the distributors of the ball, probably, however there seemed to be little or no lateral movement inside, even though we were playing a two man full forward line. if barry moran was full forward it may have worked. Freeman looked like he was out manned,

i have highlighted the negatives/ my concerns.

congrats to both teams for a great game, it was a spectacle. the black card whole not perfect has improved the game in my mind.
Referee, that he was very harsh on mayo in first half, a few very dubious non calls, on particular shoulder into the side of a mayoman as he was attempting to pick up the ball.
Boyle black card deserved, thought Dublin could have got one for tackle on o se in first half and connollys on keegan in second half.
How long before MDM gets the line for lashing out, after he is tackled. he did it twice yesterday, ref choose to ignore, i highlighted this after dublin v kildare game, continues to get away with it. He could have seen straight red twice in the leagues so far.
Bigger Q , the umpire called off a mayo goal when doherty picked the ball off the ground before netting, ref did not see it and gave the goal, then on advice from upmpire disallowed it, Doherty did pick up the ball off the ground, however, what if a player was tripped or held up off the ball while trying to block, assuming the ref does not see it does an umpire now have the power to disallow a score on the basis of his judgement on an event that took place leading up to the score, scary stuff indeed. i think back to the two clowns umpiring the meath v louth leinster final.

Thanks to both teams, I may be wrong , but Mayo better off with a draw than winning by six given the circumstances,  their poor passing, and lackluster defense, Dublin may have done them a favor, who knows.

Tubberman

Looking at the highlights, Michael Dara McAuley could have been booked around 4 or 5 times, leading with the elbow so often and throwing digs of the ball.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Johnnybegood

Haven't seen it back on TV, where Mayo gesturing to the ref to black card players?

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on March 30, 2014, 06:09:34 PM
Looking at the highlights, Michael Dara McAuley could have been booked around 4 or 5 times, leading with the elbow so often and throwing digs of the ball.

It was generally aimed at AOS and without any protection. It was good to see how O'Shea has matured in this regard and took it all without lashing back.
MWWSI 2017

joemamas

Quote from: Johnnybegood on March 30, 2014, 06:32:48 PM
Haven't seen it back on TV, where Mayo gesturing to the ref to black card players?
i hope not, i hate that shite

easytiger95

BTW, just thought I should mention that I thought the Dubs did magnificently to put Cluxton's stupidity aside and keep plugging away. Even after the second Mayo goal, I knew that if we could just go up the field again, we looked certain to create goal chances.

I thought McManamon's goal was brilliant (doubly so because we can use it as proof that he meant it against Kerry), Costello looks like the real deal (saw him playing Cumann na mbunscoil about 8 years ago, playing midfield and outclassing everyone on the pitch) Al Brogan gave a masterclass for thirty minutes, then did an impression of classic mid noughties Al Brogan by trying to shoot from everywhere, then comes up with the pass of the year to put O'Gara in, and as for the man himself? Well, he is easy to slag (I've done it myself, sad to say) but he gets crucial goals and he actually is the one player to put a smile on my face when I see him coming on - just old school physicality, taking on the nearest man, bullying whoever he can - he's this generation's Vinny Murphy (Vin had more football in him, but O'Gara is a tougher specimen altogether). He reminds of that great description of Colin Corkery - "a JCB coming around a corner at 100 miles an hour".

I wouldn't start him come Champo but what an option to have on the bench. Very happy with last night's work against a team who will be at the top table again this year.

muppet

I have to say I was impressed with Costello as well. A real find.

The Dublin full back line was also very impressive, although our final pass was often woeful.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: joemamas on March 30, 2014, 05:42:50 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2014, 04:41:48 PM

+ 1 mayo are miles ahead of where they were anytime in last 15 years.

Re Mayo gaablog,  Willie joe seems like a decent genuine person, they are some intelligent blogers on that site, who provide some interesting points, but there are some real clowns who appear to have graduated from hogan stand university.

points regarding last night, no particular order, and i will preface my comments by saying that I totally respect the effort the players are putting in.

Donal Vaughan, why when in possession does he choose kick the ball into a 50/50 situation, he should watch a video of that game 50 times. If he does not change he should be replaced otherwise opposing teams will just back off him, given his poor kick passing and poor shooting averages.

A O Se, mixed review, MDM only touched the ball twice in the first half, I thought Dublin were being cleaned out at midfield even prior to sending off. why oh why doe A O SE continue to over carry the ball, he is in incredible shape but can only take some many tackles in a game before he is shagged. other teams have to be taking note of this. Do not agree that his subbing was the reason we drew, Parsons caught two kick outs after he was introduced, mistakes were made elsewhere.

Hennelly great shotstopper, but caught off line for first goal, when he had ample coverage. he also blasted a clearance forty yard alone the ground when he had a colleague open six feet away. that led directly to a Dublin point, next series resulted in Dublins second goal.  Also got lucky with another shitty clearance in second half. Q why was he kicking ball out long in last twenty mins when we were well ahead and a man up. were dublin continually able to cover our extra man, i would doubt it.

Andy Moran, not sure what to say, a lot of good mixed in with a fair bit of bad. it is now very evident that he no longer possess the speed for the modern game, this was highlighted in second half when he got possession a yard ahead of a dublin back, and instead of heading straight for goal, he checked back and laid the ball off. The arising around at the end of the game, it is maybe okay to pass four or five times laterally, but again with an extra man no excuse for not moving ball forward, in the last ffinn minute three points up. Stupid stupid.

Alan freeman, does more of the blame go to the distributors of the ball, probably, however there seemed to be little or no lateral movement inside, even though we were playing a two man full forward line. if barry moran was full forward it may have worked. Freeman looked like he was out manned,

i have highlighted the negatives/ my concerns.

congrats to both teams for a great game, it was a spectacle. the black card whole not perfect has improved the game in my mind.
Referee, that he was very harsh on mayo in first half, a few very dubious non calls, on particular shoulder into the side of a mayoman as he was attempting to pick up the ball.
Boyle black card deserved, thought Dublin could have got one for tackle on o se in first half and connollys on keegan in second half.
How long before MDM gets the line for lashing out, after he is tackled. he did it twice yesterday, ref choose to ignore, i highlighted this after dublin v kildare game, continues to get away with it. He could have seen straight red twice in the leagues so far.
Bigger Q , the umpire called off a mayo goal when doherty picked the ball off the ground before netting, ref did not see it and gave the goal, then on advice from upmpire disallowed it, Doherty did pick up the ball off the ground, however, what if a player was tripped or held up off the ball while trying to block, assuming the ref does not see it does an umpire now have the power to disallow a score on the basis of his judgement on an event that took place leading up to the score, scary stuff indeed. i think back to the two clowns umpiring the meath v louth leinster final.

Thanks to both teams, I may be wrong , but Mayo better off with a draw than winning by six given the circumstances,  their poor passing, and lackluster defense, Dublin may have done them a favor, who knows.

Only a Mayoman could write that post.

That was a disaster last night for Mayo. How could you lose that game.

They'll be showing replays of that game for years as an example of how not to close a game out.

On us we're not playing great but nothing wrong with our cojones. Coming down the stretch even if we're behind I'd fancy us. But we are trying to do the impossible this year in retaining Sam.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on March 30, 2014, 07:33:44 PM
Only a Mayoman could write that post.

That was a disaster last night for Mayo. How could you lose that game.

They'll be showing replays of that game for years as an example of how not to close a game out.

On us we're not playing great but nothing wrong with our cojones. Coming down the stretch even if we're behind I'd fancy us. But we are trying to do the impossible this year in retaining Sam.

Wow I agree with most of your post Indiana. Not often that happens.

However on your last point I disagree.

I only see one team capable of beating the Dubs this year and that is us, and only as long as it isn't the Final.
MWWSI 2017