Corcaigh v Tír Eoghain, D1R614, Páirc Uí Rinn, Sunday 30th March @ 2pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 17, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Mattie has been arguably been our best performer this year Fuzz, was always going to find it difficult to shine in the CHB position this last few games due to our lack of first phase and second phase ball at midfield. Hopefully this improves with the likes of block, Joey and Penrose returning allowing Matty himself, along with others, to focus/improve this area.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 31, 2014, 03:21:45 PM
Didn't get to see the whole game but have it recorded so will watch it tonight hopefully.
Of what I did see we looked to have done well to come back after their second goal.
I was pleasantly surprised how well the FB line held out but Colm O'Neill's goal looked like he wriggled free a bit too easy.

I'm probably being too hard on him again but I really haven't seem Mattie play that well this year as yet. A lot of ye were calling out for him to play CHB but it doesn't look like he's doing that well there either. Was glad to see Block and Penrose coming back into the team and I can never understand how many of ye don't rate Penrose. He's a real work horse and good for winning dirty ball.

Did any of ye see Kerrigan near the end? There was a Cork pass went over the sideline and he hopped off the bench and kicked the ball away to waste a few seconds. As soon as he did it he went hiding back into the bench as he probably remembered he'd be on tv. Then at the very end he was first up out of the bench and was away into the changing rooms.
He's a great player though and very hard to catch once he gets in his stride. A bit like big Sean but of course without the "diving"  ???
I think the Monaghan lads will never like big Sean in the same way most Armagh lads never warmed to him and Jordan

Did you see the Mayo game?

nrico2006

I don't understand why Mattie Donnelly was moved after the performance he produced (along with McCurry and O'Neill) against Mayo.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

No didn't see that game but heard he was very good the first half scoring 5 from play and a bit quieter the 2nd half.

Yeah I think he has it in him to be a great player and he looked very good in the Sigerson but to me McCurry has really pushed on from last year and now as well as being a talented confident young lad, he seems to be working much harder and can even win his own ball this year.
Whereas I just feel Mattie seems to have maybe bulked up too much and lacks a wee bit of pace that you need in the FF line to get away from a man. I'm sure he'll prove me wrong this week and I'll end up feeling like Trileacman but maybe I have unrealistic high hopes for him.

Watched a bit of the highlights of the Cork match last night and Mattie was outpaced a few times by his man but I suppose Kerrigan will outpace most defenders. I'd say Block or Joey will end up CHB come championship.

Did any of the rest of ye not see the Kerrigan incident where he kicked the ball away to time waste and then he hid in the dugout. Then at the very end he left the pitch asap. Was funny.
It looked like we did better around MF on Sunday would that be right?
Are Sean & Colm the most likely pairing there now?
I noticed in Killarney how often Colm goes up with one hand and uses the other hand to hold a man off.

Carmen Stateside

Both Cavanaghs were quiet Sunday.  Tyrone still not getting enough men to the break ball.  Cork took control of the game in the middle during second half.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 01, 2014, 10:35:29 AM
No didn't see that game but heard he was very good the first half scoring 5 from play and a bit quieter the 2nd half.

Yeah I think he has it in him to be a great player and he looked very good in the Sigerson but to me McCurry has really pushed on from last year and now as well as being a talented confident young lad, he seems to be working much harder and can even win his own ball this year.
Whereas I just feel Mattie seems to have maybe bulked up too much and lacks a wee bit of pace that you need in the FF line to get away from a man. I'm sure he'll prove me wrong this week and I'll end up feeling like Trileacman but maybe I have unrealistic high hopes for him.

Watched a bit of the highlights of the Cork match last night and Mattie was outpaced a few times by his man but I suppose Kerrigan will outpace most defenders. I'd say Block or Joey will end up CHB come championship.

Did any of the rest of ye not see the Kerrigan incident where he kicked the ball away to time waste and then he hid in the dugout. Then at the very end he left the pitch asap. Was funny.
I noticed in Killarney how often Colm goes up with one hand and uses the other hand to hold a man off.

Kerrigan is arguably the fastest man in the game. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2014, 08:30:08 AM
I don't understand why Mattie Donnelly was moved after the performance he produced (along with McCurry and O'Neill) against Mayo.

Needs must.

sensethetone

Quote from: orangeman on April 01, 2014, 02:34:00 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2014, 08:30:08 AM

Needs must.

the defence is tighter with mattie at no6, although they let in 3:26 in 2 games :o

nrico2006

BennyHarp

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 01, 2014, 10:35:29 AM

McCurry has been helped immensely by Tyrone getting the ball in much faster and sharper. I think this has been a major improvement in our game from last year. McCurry now is confident that when he makes the run the ball is coming - last year he was making several runs before 5 hand passes were made outfield and eventually the ball was delivered - by which time he was bottled up by men swarming back. He is turning into a class player and if him and Coney can produce that sort of performance in the summer then we will at least always keep the scoreboard ticking over.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Very good point BennyH and I'd say the other forwards are also benefiting from that. I'd say Coney will also benefit from playing teams who don't play a sweeper and so it's easier to kick the ball in faster and more direct.
I'd say SoN will be chomping at the bit to play under the new rules as every year for the past 6 or 7 years he's got 2 men pulling and dragging at him. Hopefully he can get fit and we haven't seen the last of Stevie just yet.

Any more news on Justy or Joey or should we just leave forget about them til the summer.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Lads, didn't want to start a new thread but presume some of ye have heard the latest on McCarron...hope its an April fool or something, but if it's not.. :-\
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 02, 2014, 07:24:22 PM
Lads, didn't want to start a new thread but presume some of ye have heard the latest on McCarron...hope its an April fool or something, but if it's not.. :-\

:-\ :-\ ...best not to contribute to the brouhaha.

Syferus

CD

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 02, 2014, 08:27:45 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on April 02, 2014, 07:24:22 PM

:-\ :-\ ...best not to contribute to the brouhaha.

Holy Good God Almighty! I've only just read about this! Surely it's a remnant from yesterday's April Fool nonsense!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!