Corcaigh v Tír Eoghain, D1R614, Páirc Uí Rinn, Sunday 30th March @ 2pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 17, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on March 30, 2014, 06:23:25 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2014, 05:11:08 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on March 30, 2014, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on March 30, 2014, 03:47:37 PM
Is it head to head then scoring difference?

Think it could be head to head if 2 teams tied but scoring difference if more than 2 tied.

Yeah it's head to head Derry are 2nd in the table even with a better score difference than Cork. Looking forward to the SFs now it looks like Cork, Derry, Tyrone and the Dubs/Mayo. They should all be good games. What's the story with venues for the Semi's?

Last year both semi finals were in Croke Park - Tyrone v Kildare and Dublin v Mayo
Scheduled for Sunday 13th April this year.

I wouldn't say Tyrone are through yet, think Cork and Derry are and will be between Tyrone, Dublin and Mayo for the last 2 spots.

Tyrone definitely not there yet - I would probably fancy Mayo to beat a Derry team already assured of a semi final spot and similarly Kerry then to beat Cork already qualified too. Take a big performance for Tyrone to beat Dublin next week. Last 2 semi final spots between 4 teams then.

tyroneboi

Quote from: cornerback on March 30, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
Conor Gormley's stamp/foot placement? Accidental or deliberate?

Looked pretty deliberate to me - could have definitely avoided doing it!

Archie Mitchell

Coldrick didn't seem to be applying the new rules today anyway. Very rarely let advantage go and bring back for a free, especially in the incident when Donnelly was hurt, McCurry put ball over bar but he gave a free and it was missed. Also Cork should have had a few black cards near the end.

CD

I must say - Kyle Coney was fantastic today. Now that's the player i saw in 2008. I had said i was on the fence about his inclusion but if he continues to put in brilliant displays like this i'll be totally won over. I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but it seems his rehabilitation from a series of injuries is finally over! Great to see!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ONeill

Quote from: tyroneboi on March 30, 2014, 07:14:01 PM
Quote from: cornerback on March 30, 2014, 06:10:56 PM
Conor Gormley's stamp/foot placement? Accidental or deliberate?

Looked pretty deliberate to me - could have definitely avoided doing it!

A blast from the past. Brought a tear to my eye.

Tyrone were well set up defensively for the last 15 mins of the first half. The half backs were staying put, Colm and Sean were helping out and even the half forwards were working hard shielding the full back line. And let's be honest, they need it. The early ball into our full forward line allowed this to happen and things were sticking to McCurry and Kyle.

The second half and things went to pot. I don't know if there was a breeze against us but the early ball ceased to be a tactic and the half backs were repeatedly crossing the half back line en masse. Cork would turn us over, break and the amount of space in front of the full back line was frightening. We simply cannot leave the full back line exposed. If the CHF position is vacant teams appear to cut us to shreds.

We're not picking up much breaking ball around the middle any more. I thought McBride might help out there but he seemed to be playing nowhere in particular. We need Mark Donnelly and Penrose buzzing around the middle.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

Quote from: CD on March 30, 2014, 09:05:12 PM
I must say - Kyle Coney was fantastic today. Now that's the player i saw in 2008. I had said i was on the fence about his inclusion but if he continues to put in brilliant displays like this i'll be totally won over. I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but it seems his rehabilitation from a series of injuries is finally over! Great to see!!

Quote from: CD on March 03, 2014, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on March 03, 2014, 06:16:18 PM
Quote from: hugh the root on March 03, 2014, 01:37:26 PM
Kildare were the much better team as they had a bit of height and power about them.Fair play to whoever brought on Coney as he was the reason why Tyrone got back into the game.he looks like a footballer and I just hope he gets a deserving start in Killarney
;D Are you Kyle or Gavin

Easiest lad I've ever seen to block down. His kicking technique is really strange. He hates sticky corner backs, doesn't use his height effectively and is too slow/lazy to play in the half forward line where he'd have a bit more room. If you only watch the highlights of games and see him swing over a couple of frees or a handy point when the game's already won (see McKenna Cup Final) you'd imagine he's a star..Reached his level when he was 18 and bigger than everyone else. I fear the rest of his career at county level will be anticlimax in comparison. In fairness to him, injuries haven't helped but he can be an unbelievably frustrating player. There's only so many years you can live of the promise shown one summer afternoon in Croker

Yes, you were on the fence about him!  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

CD

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 30, 2014, 09:17:08 PM
Quote from: CD on March 30, 2014, 09:05:12 PM

Quote from: CD on March 03, 2014, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on March 03, 2014, 06:16:18 PM
Quote from: hugh the root on March 03, 2014, 01:37:26 PM
Kildare were the much better team as they had a bit of height and power about them.Fair play to whoever brought on Coney as he was the reason why Tyrone got back into the game.he looks like a footballer and I just hope he gets a deserving start in Killarney
;D Are you Kyle or Gavin

Easiest lad I've ever seen to block down. His kicking technique is really strange. He hates sticky corner backs, doesn't use his height effectively and is too slow/lazy to play in the half forward line where he'd have a bit more room. If you only watch the highlights of games and see him swing over a couple of frees or a handy point when the game's already won (see McKenna Cup Final) you'd imagine he's a star..Reached his level when he was 18 and bigger than everyone else. I fear the rest of his career at county level will be anticlimax in comparison. In fairness to him, injuries haven't helped but he can be an unbelievably frustrating player. There's only so many years you can live of the promise shown one summer afternoon in Croker

Yes, you were on the fence about him!  ;)

Brilliant!  ;D Still on a bit of that fence in fairness!!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on March 30, 2014, 03:35:55 PM
Penrose got us that draw, some telling interventions at the end by him.
Rather, the ref buying cavanagh going to ground easily, was the telling intervention at the end.

orangeman

Good game of football. Last night's match and today's match were top drawer entertainment.

Draw a fair enough result today.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Main Street on March 30, 2014, 09:57:28 PM
Rather, the ref buying cavanagh going to ground easily, was the telling intervention at the end.

Only for the deliberate pull down cavanagh was bursting through, nonsense comment.

Thought we played well for large parts of the game but can't afford to switch of for periods and stop competing for breaking ball in the middle and stop following men back.

Some lovely football at times with great scores particularly from coney. Wouldn't mind if we'd gormley and joe fit for the half back line seeing how mattie d and coney would do together up front with mccurry playing of them. Might be danger they'd cancel each other out but I think they'd be dangerous. Then mark donnelly and penrose trying to pick up breaks around the middle. Could even play Clarke around there to support the 2 cavanaghs.

Thought mcnamee did pretty well overall today. McKenna started poorly but improved as it went on. Pity pj is obviously injured again as he'd be a cert for the corner too ahead of mcrory. Was disappointed with Mcginley and Mcaliskey in the forwards today.

Jinxy

Nonsense.
The black card was brought in to protect players like Sean Cavanagh, from players like Sean Cavanagh.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sam03/05

Mattie Donnelly is wasted at number 6, and to be honest he still does not close up the middle, as Cork often ran through us at will. I would say his best position is where he played last year number 10. Would like to see Ronan McNabb play 6, if he is not fit (which is often) then either Gormley or Joe McMahon would be good options.
Tyrone will have a serious squad if everyone fit, players like Stevie O'Neill, Penrose will give great competition for places.
However at the end of the day when it comes to the really big games in Croker (Quarter/ Semi) we will be cleaned out as we simply don't have the defenders in the full back positions.
McCrory, McKenna, PJ, McNamee, Tierney all simply not good enough at the highest level.

ONeill

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 30, 2014, 11:14:17 PM

Only for the deliberate pull down cavanagh was bursting through, nonsense comment.

Thought we played well for large parts of the game but can't afford to switch of for periods and stop competing for breaking ball in the middle and stop following men back.

Some lovely football at times with great scores particularly from coney. Wouldn't mind if we'd gormley and joe fit for the half back line seeing how mattie d and coney would do together up front with mccurry playing of them. Might be danger they'd cancel each other out but I think they'd be dangerous. Then mark donnelly and penrose trying to pick up breaks around the middle. Could even play Clarke around there to support the 2 cavanaghs.

Thought mcnamee did pretty well overall today. McKenna started poorly but improved as it went on. Pity pj is obviously injured again as he'd be a cert for the corner too ahead of mcrory. Was disappointed with Mcginley and Mcaliskey in the forwards today.

McAliskey not showing it at county level. Strange conundrum. Great club players.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Onthe40

Have to agree on McAliskey..not cutting it for me..have seen him 3-4 times now and doesnt offer the same threat as the other forwards..doesnt seem to have the ability to be able to engineer space or take a man on the way coney and mc curry were able to yesterday..cork goal actually came from him getting blocked down in the forward line. Whilst he is accurate and has ability to bang a ball over the bar from distance, getting hinself to the position to do this is his problem.
McGinley showed promise  towards the end of last year I thought, but having been tried in the half back and half forward line, his chances are running out now...

Fuzzman

Didn't get to see the whole game but have it recorded so will watch it tonight hopefully.
Of what I did see we looked to have done well to come back after their second goal.
I was pleasantly surprised how well the FB line held out but Colm O'Neill's goal looked like he wriggled free a bit too easy.

I'm probably being too hard on him again but I really haven't seem Mattie play that well this year as yet. A lot of ye were calling out for him to play CHB but it doesn't look like he's doing that well there either. Was glad to see Block and Penrose coming back into the team and I can never understand how many of ye don't rate Penrose. He's a real work horse and good for winning dirty ball.

Did any of ye see Kerrigan near the end? There was a Cork pass went over the sideline and he hopped off the bench and kicked the ball away to waste a few seconds. As soon as he did it he went hiding back into the bench as he probably remembered he'd be on tv. Then at the very end he was first up out of the bench and was away into the changing rooms.
He's a great player though and very hard to catch once he gets in his stride. A bit like big Sean but of course without the "diving"  ???
I think the Monaghan lads will never like big Sean in the same way most Armagh lads never warmed to him and Jordan