Mayo V Cork. 16/03/13. McHale Park

Started by moysider, March 11, 2014, 10:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Can t get one anywhere.

But there is a doubt about Andy Moran fitness for this one too after missing Westmeath match. Injured his shoulder against Kerry aooarently. Pity because he needs games to have any chance of getting back to where he was 2011.

maigheo

Team to face the rebels is  Hennly,Harrison,Caff,Mchale,Keegan,Vaughan,Boyle,O'se,Gibbons,Higgins,Doc,Mclaughlin,Oconnor,Freeman, Sweeney

macdanger2

Decent side, at least 9 of those are championship starters I'd say. Will be interesting to see how mikey Sweeney gets on

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 14, 2014, 11:00:58 PM
Decent side, at least 9 of those are championship starters I'd say. Will be interesting to see how mikey Sweeney gets on

Sweeney deserves a bit of time. Did ok the last day in filthy conditions.

Decent side as you say. Switch Cillian and Doc and it would be better again. Yeah 9/10 Championship starters.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: maigheo on March 14, 2014, 10:51:02 PM
Team to face the rebels is  Hennly,Harrison,Caff,Mchale,Keegan,Vaughan,Boyle,O'se,Gibbons,Higgins,Doc,Mclaughlin,Oconnor,Freeman, Sweeney

I think ten of them are odds-on starters for the championship. 

Hennelly, Caff, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, O'Sé, Higgins, McLoughlin, O'Connor and Freeman, barring injury, will be there.
I think each of them is a positive addition to the team but the fact is that all of them, and probably the remaining six, will have featured in last year's AI final.
The worry for me is that with the possible exception of Adam Gallagher, there will be no new faces on the starting line up. I can't see any of the others, listed for action tomorrow, getting a first team place.
Last year's side was good but ultimately not good enough to go the whole way. Unless James H come up with a change of tactics up front or gets an incisive forward or two, the outlook is dire.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 16, 2014, 12:20:04 AM
Quote from: maigheo on March 14, 2014, 10:51:02 PM

I think ten of them are odds-on starters for the championship. 

Hennelly, Caff, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, O'Sé, Higgins, McLoughlin, O'Connor and Freeman, barring injury, will be there.
I think each of them is a positive addition to the team but the fact is that all of them, and probably the remaining six, will have featured in last year's AI final.
The worry for me is that with the possible exception of Adam Gallagher, there will be no new faces on the starting line up. I can't see any of the others, listed for action tomorrow, getting a first team place.
Last year's side was good but ultimately not good enough to go the whole way. Unless James H come up with a change of tactics up front or gets an incisive forward or two, the outlook is dire.

Last year's team was good enough to win. Jamesy just lost the plot with his selections and substitutions in the final. Mental fatigue is the real danger I see for Mayo this year rather than any major lack of players at a given position.

Zulu

I hope Mayo don't share your delusion. Blaming the manager is to ignore the real issues.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on March 16, 2014, 07:31:22 AM
I hope Mayo don't share your delusion. Blaming the manager is to ignore the real issues.
I'm afraid many do.
For them, it's a classic case of the emperor with no clothes syndrome.
Mayo lost the AI in 2012 and 2013 because the forwards weren't good enough- plain and simple. Horan knows this and has been doing his damndest to come up with a workaround to minimise the problem  but with limited success to date.
It would greatly help the cause if both Andy Moran and Cillian O'Connor were fully fit and in top form but that's by no mean a given in either case.
I don't think we're absolutely beaten before the championship begins either as luck is a  variable and can go either with or against us  and it has never been kind to us in recent years.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 16, 2014, 11:36:23 AM
I'm afraid many do.
For them, it's a classic case of the emperor with no clothes syndrome.
Mayo lost the AI in 2012 and 2013 because the forwards weren't good enough- plain and simple. Horan knows this and has been doing his damndest to come up with a workaround to minimise the problem  but with limited success to date.
It would greatly help the cause if both Andy Moran and Cillian O'Connor were fully fit and in top form but that's by no mean a given in either case.
I don't think we're absolutely beaten before the championship begins either as luck is a  variable and can go either with or against us  and it has never been kind to us in recent years.

You're contradicting yourself there Lar. If Mayo don't have the forwards, then it doesn't matter how fit or in form they are, as they'll never be good enough. If, however, Moran and O'Connor being fully fit and in form is the difference-maker, then Mayo have had the forwards all the time, and the argument that Mayo don't have the forwards isn't true. You can't have it both ways.

Besides. You can't throw a brick in Cork without hitting a forward and how much good has that done them lately? Zools?

Syferus

Everyone anyways close to what happened last September can see Jamesy's few weaknesses as a manager showed after two years of excellent management. There isn't complex reasons behind Mayo losing last year's AI final; if they named their best team and kept it on the field for the majority of the game the one point deficit at the end would probably have been reversed.

Last year wasn't a case of Mayo not being good enough to win, it can't be thrown into the pile with Kerry '97, '04, '06, even Donegal '12. It was there for the taking and poor management impeded their challenge after good management had ignited it.

If you can't see how small the margins were that day and how much an impact Horan's decisions had then I'm afraid you either don't have the full story or you can't see the obvious.

maigheo

I see where Cathal Carolan has gone down with the dreaded ACL injury.Bad blow for a player who was just starting out on his inter county career.

joemamas

switch on midwest john maughan in for john casey, they better get an extra microphone

maigheo

maigheo

Mayo 1.09  cork 0.06. Jason Doc with the goal  HT

maigheo

Mayo 3.12 cork  0.09   20 min to go. Freeman and Gibbions with the goals