What ye doing for Lent

Started by theticklemister, March 05, 2014, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

What sacrafice are ye all making?

Might do the usual and go off chocolate and crisps and get to Church more often.

Milltown Row2

Going to give up being religious :P

Fcuk all!! Life is hard enough without giving up what little pleasures we have
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RealSpiritof98

All the C's for me this year, making a theme of it to the kids

no Crisps
No Chippy
No Chinese and
No Choclate
Plus Daddy not allowed
no Cans of Beer
no Carbs

And we are all ON
Cardio

All to avoid the greater risk of Cancer, sounds a bit morbid but it has been fun planning it out and the kids are much more aware and informed of such things.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

On the beer and eating ribs in bbq sauce.

Group of friends on beer and one girl told us she could not come out drinking because it is a holy day, same bird who cheated on two men, christian values eh!  ::)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Always remember if you are doing lent you do something that actually was the healthy thing in the first place, bore everyone for weeks about it, act like a martyr, and of course cheat on the sly. Bore everyone how you cannot drink or eat meat on ash wednesday, get a huge lump of ash on your forehead and lecture other people they "cannot eat meat today".
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

qubdub

If anyone has seen the film '40 days and 40 nights' ahem, I'm aiming to do something similar.
That and drink.

CD

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 05, 2014, 05:46:55 PM

no Crisps
No Chippy
No Chinese and
No Choclate
Plus Daddy not allowed
no Cans of Beer
no Carbs

And we are all ON
Cardio

All to avoid the greater risk of Cancer, sounds a bit morbid but it has been fun planning it out and the kids are much more aware and informed of such things.

Thank God for bottled beer!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Puckoon

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 05, 2014, 06:00:27 PM
On the beer and eating ribs in bbq sauce.

Group of friends on beer and one girl told us she could not come out drinking because it is a holy day, same bird who cheated on two men, christian values eh!  ::)

It's one thing to be a ballix, but another to go out of your way to be one. Why don't you go off both?

Eamonnca1

Tried making pancakes last night. Didn't work out so well, probably because I only had almond milk in the house, stopped drinking the dairy stuff ages ago.  Might try it again with dairy milk.

I can see the value in Lent as a way to go off fatty foods that you've been eating in the winter to keep an insulating layer on. Getting in shape for summer and what not. Some pre-Christian pagan traditions make a lot of sense.

armaghniac

Religion makes a lot of sense generally, if you didn't have it you'd have to invent it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

Sugar (as in granulated sugar). Cakes, biscuits, chocolate, sweets, mineral drinks etc.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2014, 05:43:44 PM
Going to give up being religious :P

Fcuk all!! Life is hard enough without giving up what little pleasures we have
Amen to that brother.

The Iceman

Ash Wednesday isn't a holy day so MGHU's mate could have went on the drink. It is a day like Christmas and Easter when most "Catholics" will go to Mass. Especially in the North when its the one day you can be an in your face catholic.
If you don't want to go off something you can always go on something. More quiet time, more prayer time, more volunteering, maybe call in once a week to the nursing home and chat with a few folks who would delight at the company, I don't know I'm sure if you're serious about the lenten journey you can think of something.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thejuice

Quote from: CD on March 05, 2014, 06:11:32 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 05, 2014, 05:46:55 PM

no Crisps
No Chippy
No Chinese and
No Choclate
Plus Daddy not allowed
no Cans of Beer
no Carbs

And we are all ON
Cardio

Thank God for bottled beer!

Cerveza?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2014, 09:13:31 PM
Religion makes a lot of sense generally, if you didn't have it you'd have to invent it.

It is arguable that religion was often common sense repackaged.

MWWSI 2017