What ye doing for Lent

Started by theticklemister, March 05, 2014, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Bread, sweets, crisps, chocolate, lemonade, all chippy food
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bingo

Seniors training last night and a few trays of sandwiches were left in for after training.

Must say I was surprised as the ham/chicken/beef sandwiches were largely untouched and the boys where competing to get at the cheese and salad. A few even picked out the meat and ate what was left.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 05, 2014, 05:46:55 PM
All the C's for me this year, making a theme of it to the kids

no Crisps
No Chippy
No Chinese and
No Choclate
Plus Daddy not allowed
no Cans of Beer
no Carbs

And we are all ON
Cardio

All to avoid the greater risk of Cancer, sounds a bit morbid but it has been fun planning it out and the kids are much more aware and informed of such things.

Yep that's what lents all about. Preventing your risk of cancer. It's a great thing to do but has nothing to do with getting closer to Christ. Everything that has been put up here is people doing things just to benefit themselves. Lent in Ireland is like Operation Transformation. 

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bingo on March 06, 2014, 10:45:57 AM
Seniors training last night and a few trays of sandwiches were left in for after training.

Must say I was surprised as the ham/chicken/beef sandwiches were largely untouched and the boys where competing to get at the cheese and salad. A few even picked out the meat and ate what was left.

All that not eating meat was added by a Pope to help the fishing industry in the Papal States, moronic adhering to such activites without understanding why they are doing it.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bingo

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 06, 2014, 11:22:46 AM

All that not eating meat was added by a Pope to help the fishing industry in the Papal States, moronic adhering to such activites without understanding why they are doing it.

It certainly threw me, majority of them wouldn't see mass till christmas/weddings/funerals.

deiseach

Which Pope?

trueblue1234

Complete myth.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 06, 2014, 11:41:18 AM

Complete myth.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday

Either way it's all made up, ash wednesday has always grinded my gears and lectures on not eating meat or having a drink from god botherers many with questionable value systems.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trueblue1234

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 06, 2014, 12:25:44 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 06, 2014, 11:41:18 AM

Complete myth.

Either way it's all made up, ash wednesday has always grinded my gears and lectures on not eating meat or having a drink from god botherers many with questionable value systems.

**I was wrong, but sure I'll quickly move on and hope no one takes too much notice**
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AZOffaly

** and did ye know I'm an Atheist, and if you're not you're a moron **

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 06, 2014, 12:25:44 PM

For someone who revels in being a man of science, you are awfully resistant to anything which challenges your worldview.

ballinaman

***and did ye know I'm an Atheist, and Dave Whelan broke his leg in an FA cup final***

Sidney

Quote from: armaghniac on March 05, 2014, 09:13:31 PM
Religion makes a lot of sense generally, if you didn't have it you'd have to invent it.
If it had never been invented countless millions of people would not have died in wars or due to religious persecution.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on March 06, 2014, 12:55:56 PM
***and did ye know I'm an Atheist, and Dave Whelan broke his leg in an FA cup final***

? I don't get this one