Clare hurlers were allegedly using drugs before Davy arrived.

Started by orangeman, March 05, 2014, 12:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Clare is that far wesht that you'd never get access to anything harder than a bit of poitin or cheap vodka.

You have to admire Davy's honesty here.

rosnarun

very unfair on the previous manager . the Clear implication here is that he either ignored the problem or was to stupid to realize what was going on about him.
If you going to make such accusations of criminality you gotta provide proof. whereas this statement is little more than a ' they were party boys before i got here and Some were probaly taking recreational drugs like other lads their age '
not sure that would have got Davy his headlines though/
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Premier Emperor

Nothing new here.
The Clare hurlers have been linked to drugs since the Loughnane era!

muppet

A few fellas taking 'even harder stuff than drink' is not the most specific allegation ever.

I'd say he knows what he is doing, whether it is wise or not is another thing altogether.

But sticking to his actual point it appears like a good message to give - f*ck the bullies I'll win the All-Ireland and a few All-Stars to shut them up.
MWWSI 2017

Keyser soze

I don't think this will be a shock to many under the age of forty and definitely not to anybody under the age of thirty, and most certainly not to anybody who is dealing with young people on a daily basis. Drug use is a fact of everyday life in every wide place in the road in Ireland.

If your reaction is predicated on the faux horror of the sun/star etc, well that says more about people who read this nonsense than it does about Davy Fitz. I would applaud him for highlighting this in such a matter-of-fact way. The only Clare hurlers who'll may be pissed off are the ones who might have been taking colombian marching powder or whatever, and to be quite frank they should be grateful to Davy for getting them off that shit.

deiseach

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 05, 2014, 11:42:56 AM
I don't think this will be a shock to many under the age of forty and definitely not to anybody under the age of thirty, and most certainly not to anybody who is dealing with young people on a daily basis. Drug use is a fact of everyday life in every wide place in the road in Ireland.

If your reaction is predicated on the faux horror of the sun/star etc, well that says more about people who read this nonsense than it does about Davy Fitz. I would applaud him for highlighting this in such a matter-of-fact way. The only Clare hurlers who'll may be pissed off are the ones who might have been taking colombian marching powder or whatever, and to be quite frank they should be grateful to Davy for getting them off that shit.

While I love a good pop at the dreaded meeja and their parasitical ways, Davy must know that the next question he is going to be asked is "what were they on?" Listening to a snippet of what he said this morning, there were two occasions where he said "alcohol and . . . stronger things", or words to that effect. I'm not inserting the hesitation in his voice. I'm going to predict that the next step is Davy angrily questioning why anyone would want to know the specifics and that it's none of their business, which will only be grist to the mill of the assembled hacks. It's a real pity that this is going to distract from the power of his comments on bullying.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Premier Emperor on March 05, 2014, 11:13:21 AM
Nothing new here.

My auld fella, who's a bit cracked, always reckoned Meath were on drugs under Sean Boylan. "I'm telling ya, you watch them, he's definitely giving them something at half-time, how else would they finish so strong? Herbalist my arse."

deiseach

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 05, 2014, 12:16:37 PM
My auld fella, who's a bit cracked, always reckoned Meath were on drugs under Sean Boylan. "I'm telling ya, you watch them, he's definitely giving them something at half-time, how else would they finish so strong? Herbalist my arse."

Is he from Cork? Your auld fella, not Sean Boylan.

Croí na hÉireann

Nothing new here.

And they've won nothing since drug testing came in.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

johnneycool

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 05, 2014, 12:20:32 PM
Nothing new here.

And they've won nothing since drug testing came in.

Kepak were giving the players the finest of beef to take home, Seany was providing de 'erb to keep the lads mellow;

thejuice

Well we're probably on the same drugs as the Offaly hurlers for the last decade and a half.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Hey! What have Offaly got to do with this? No one from Offaly said a word! Well, actually I tell a lie, but he purports to be Westmeath.

orangeman

Clare hurling manager Davy Fitzgerald has said he wasn't aware he was being recorded when he made comments last night about Clare's off-field activity.

Fitzgerald has revealed he had to drastically change Clare's approach when he first became manager in 2011.

His comments came during a speech he made at a physical health seminar at Limerick Institute of Technology yesterday.

Fitzgerald said: "From the mid-2000s, in Clare, my feeling was that Clare was a social team," he said.

"I know some of them were even taking harder stuff than drink" - Davy Fitzgerald

"I know some of them were even taking harder stuff than drink. I couldn't understand this.

"To me, I play to win, and if you are doing stuff like that, you're wasting your time."

He said that he and the team go to the bottom of the issue during a three-hour meeting after he became manager.

"I questioned them and I said 'do we really need alcohol and do you need to take substances that will make you feel better'.

"We teased it out, we spent three hours out in Bunratty teasing it out. We decided we were going to stand up and draw a line under it and say 'No'.

"We decided we were going to come to training and enjoy ourselves and were going to communicate with each other. We want to enjoy what we do."

Fitzgerald gave a wide ranging talk at LIT, lasting close to half an hour, where he also spoke about how he was bullied when he was a child and the importance sport can have on people's mental health.

GAA President Liam O'Neill has since said he has no reason to believe that a drink or drug culture exists in the modern game.

Zulu

While I'd imagine the percentage of inter county players taking recreational drugs is smaller than within the general population I wouldn't be surprised to find it is a bit higher than many would guess. It's a fast of life now and I'm not sure it needs to be aired.

I think this was a comment from Davy that wasn't calculated and I don't think it serves any purpose, good or bad.

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on March 05, 2014, 02:57:08 PM
Clare hurling manager Davy Fitzgerald has said he wasn't aware he was being recorded when he made comments last night about Clare's off-field activity.

Fitzgerald has revealed he had to drastically change Clare's approach when he first became manager in 2011.

His comments came during a speech he made at a physical health seminar at Limerick Institute of Technology yesterday.

Fitzgerald said: "From the mid-2000s, in Clare, my feeling was that Clare was a social team," he said.

"I know some of them were even taking harder stuff than drink" - Davy Fitzgerald

"I know some of them were even taking harder stuff than drink. I couldn't understand this.

"To me, I play to win, and if you are doing stuff like that, you're wasting your time."

He said that he and the team go to the bottom of the issue during a three-hour meeting after he became manager.

"I questioned them and I said 'do we really need alcohol and do you need to take substances that will make you feel better'.

"We teased it out, we spent three hours out in Bunratty teasing it out. We decided we were going to stand up and draw a line under it and say 'No'.

"We decided we were going to come to training and enjoy ourselves and were going to communicate with each other. We want to enjoy what we do."

Fitzgerald gave a wide ranging talk at LIT, lasting close to half an hour, where he also spoke about how he was bullied when he was a child and the importance sport can have on people's mental health.

GAA President Liam O'Neill has since said he has no reason to believe that a drink or drug culture exists in the modern game.

Is Liam O'Neill mad? I suppose it depends on your definition of culture, but if he doesn't think a percentage of young lads are drinking or taking some form of recreational drug then he's off his game.