Euro 2016 - France

Started by laoislad, February 23, 2014, 10:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

If you don't recognise Gibraltar as an actual country, does their matches still exist?

rodney trotter

Quote from: clarshack on February 23, 2014, 12:27:31 PM
Which ones are the tougher groups?

Did you only look at the Ireland group? Group A is as tough and group D,with Portugal, Albania,Armenia,Serbia & Denmark - France not included.

BennyCake

Why is Israel involved? It's not an actual country, nor is it in Europe, and they should be boycotted as South Africa was a few years ago.

ballinaman

McCarthy and McGeady should get a nice welcome in Scotland....

Asal Mor

Not sure it could have been much worse. Group I with France, Portugal, Denmark and Serbia is probably the toughest but the Germans were the worst of the first seeds to draw. England always seem to get it handy in qualifying, even allowing for the fact that they're always a top seed.

BennyCake

Germany top guaranteed. Third place and Ireland get a play off spot. Poland are no big shakes, so Ireland can finish second. But if they can't finish third ahead of Scotland, Georgia and the disputed territory of Southern Spain, there's something seriously wrong.

The Worker

When are the fixtures released?

Would be good to get back to Poznan.

rodney trotter

Away to Georgia in first game  https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/437610502714556416

Sun Sep 7 Georgia [A], Sat Oct 11 Gibraltar [H], Tue Oct 14: Germany [A], Fri Nov 14: Scotland [A], [2015] Sun March 29: Poland [H]

[2015] Sat June 13: Scotland [H], Fri Sep 4 Gilbraltar [A], Monday Sep 7 Georgia [H], Thurs Oct 8: Germany [H], Sun Oct 11: Poland [A]

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on February 23, 2014, 12:37:45 PM
Why is Israel involved? It's not an actual country, nor is it in Europe, and they should be boycotted as South Africa was a few years ago.
Maybe for WC 2018
It's a bit early for BDS to percolate through to sport I think

under the bar

QuoteJust seen on Sky that France will actually take part in a qualifying group but points won or lost against them won't count. Basically they will just be glorified friendlies but still part of the qualifying group...strange :o

This has been in the mix for the past 4  years or so for WC and Euro qualifying.  Host countries regularly complained they were at a disadvantage in the finals having had no competitive games for almost 2 years.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on February 23, 2014, 12:28:48 PM

Not a bad group for your guys either Tony.

Greece
Hungary
Romania
Finland
Nordies
Faroe Islands.

Piece of piss, France here we come...home and away draws with the Faroe's to follow so :'(

laoislad

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2014, 03:38:01 PM
Away to Georgia in first game  https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/437610502714556416

Sun Sep 7 Georgia [A], Sat Oct 11 Gibraltar [H], Tue Oct 14: Germany [A], Fri Nov 14: Scotland [A], [2015] Sun March 29: Poland [H]

[2015] Sat June 13: Scotland [H], Fri Sep 4 Gilbraltar [A], Monday Sep 7 Georgia [H], Thurs Oct 8: Germany [H], Sun Oct 11: Poland [A]
Georgia v Ireland on All Ireland Sunday.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mouview

Gibraltar will be targeting us for 4 points I'd say. How many of our lads would get a game for them?

BennyCake

Quote from: mouview on February 23, 2014, 05:14:28 PM
Gibraltar will be targeting us for 4 points I'd say. How many of our lads would get a game for them?

Doesn't/didn't Danny Higginbotham play for them?

Sandino

Anybody any experience of travelling to difficult to get to away games, I like the idea of the Georgia match. Do you have to be a member of a supporters club?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''