The new President?

Started by T Fearon, February 22, 2014, 10:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on February 22, 2014, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2014, 01:49:30 PM
What a strange first name. Sounds like we've elected a Game of Thrones character.

Interesting observation Syphilis.

Don't say we're going to have X years of you defending him because he's a Cabin man, Itchy?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2014, 01:55:39 PM
What a strange first name. Sounds like we've elected a Game of Thrones character.

Don't say we're going to have X years of you defending him because he's a Cabin man, Itchy?

Is that a question?

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on February 22, 2014, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 22, 2014, 01:55:39 PM

Is that a question?

Well, don't say it then if you're that ornery.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on February 22, 2014, 02:21:15 PM
Has anyone heard what he's hoping to achieve within his tenure. His main goals for the association? How he plans on developing our games across the country/world?

I assume it is things such as that that get him voted in in the first place and not 'our man' politics or "I like the look of yer man there with the strange middle-ages name".

I'd be interested to hear what he's hoping to bring to the table, not in any real anticipation that it will come to pass but I'd like to know what makes his peers (i.e those with a vote) tick and the reasons why they would choose him over the other candidates. I note that he won it quite easily.
He thanked his opponents "for providing a democratic opportunity" for the association and added that although he would not touch on policy before the start of his term of office, four Fs would inform his presidency.

"Fixtures because at heart we are a sports organisation, facilities because that's how we draw people in – through the quality of our facilities; finance because it underpins everything . . . and family because the GAA is about men and women, boys and girls."

]

Itchy

All candidates were interviewed on RTE radio 1 in length on Sunday sport over the last few weeks. They were all on the late late too I think. If you had a vote these interviews were something that might form your opinion. Saying that I think there was such a gap since the last Ulster president that there was a factor of it was Ulster's turn.

orangeman

How many times has grassroots been mentioned so far ?

To be fair to Aogan, he's from a very small club and has made massive strides.
He has done well to get this far.

ONeill

We need to keep this thing in Ulster.

Cuthbert Donnelly
Jarlath Burns
Martin McAviney
Alan Rodgers
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

Any new president is an improvement on Liam grumpy cat O'Neill.

T Fearon

Is it just me but have all the Presidents since Sean Kelly been dead from the neck down? Surely the President should be a visionary and shape the direction of the association for his term of office as opposed to a medal presenter and function attendee.

Zulu

What a depressing thread, from the clueless Tony Fearon who is knocking a great GAA man before he even has a chance to do anything to the lack of general knowledge of the candidates from people who could have found out a little about each candidate by watching TV, listening to the radio or reading a newspaper. Aogan is a very decent man and I'm sure he will be a very fine president who will lead the GAA as ever president has for the past number of years.

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 22, 2014, 05:43:05 PM
Is it just me but have all the Presidents since Sean Kelly been dead from the neck down? Surely the President should be a visionary and shape the direction of the association for his term of office as opposed to a medal presenter and function attendee.

As opposed to you who is dead from the neck up.

Hardy

What a strange name. Sounds like we've elected a Game of Thrones character.

What's strange about it?

If it's strange you're after, what is any sensible human being to make of this gibberish from Liam O'Neill in announcing the result of the vote?
"The vote in reverse order is Seán Breathnach fifty seven, Séamus Ó hOilín(?) ochtó a trí agus Aodán(sic) Ó Fearghail uachtarán tofa with one hundred and seventy votes."

Zulu

Yes, there was. It used to be far more of an honorary position but now they tend to set the agenda. It's hard to answer your second questions it's a bit like asking why you voted for one centre party over the other. They all said similar things and played to what they thought particular counties wanted to hear when addressing them. For me, Aogan seemed more committed to British GAA where I'm involved, had a greater commitment to club level GAA and will have a better chance of getting support from a wide base of GAA people to achieve things.

T Fearon

And his achievements in Ulster were what, precisely? I don't doubt he's a great Gael who will lead the GAA but will it be effective leadership?