Tyrone v Mayo - 9th Feb in Omagh - Deferred coverage on TG4

Started by Fuzzman, February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Was trying to get a list of the scorers and subs made so found it in this report.
Was Morgan not hitting all the long frees or was he missing them.
Looks like McCurry will be top scorer in the league this year and he must love teams not playing packed defences. With Derry winning in Kerry I'd say the young lads would be looking forward to tht one now.

Sublime brace from McCurry keeps Mayo rooted to foot of the table
Tyrone 2-15 Mayo 0-16

Darren McCurry struck two sublime goals to sink Mayo at Healy Park, and leave James Horan's side propping up the NFL Division 1 table without a single point.

Tyrone are getting key players back on the grass, Sean Cavanagh and Mark Donnelly the latest men to return to action.

James Horan is having difficulty keeping track of a mounting Mayo injury toll now estimated at 20, with Ger Cafferkey, Lee Keegan, David Drake and Colm Boyle all added to the list following this fast-moving encounter in Omagh.

Adam Gallagher's nine-point haul was not enough to rescue last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists, who have chalked up healthy but insufficient score-lines in both their games to date.

"We would have to be very happy with the economy of our finishing in the first half and it really set us up for the win," said Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.

"In the second half, we were not as good in front of the goals and we wasted some chances that would have given us some breathing space and Mayo would not let go and they kept at us until we got that second goal from Darren McCurry."

ENCOURAGEMENT

Donnelly's new role is one of many sources of encouragement for Harte, who watched his full-forward shoot five points from play in that first half.

McCurry also shot some delightful scores, but that was only after the Connacht side had sliced open the home defence for three goal chances.

To Horan's dismay, they failed to take any of them.

Tyrone survived and set about blitzing their opponents at the other end, hitting 1-4 in the space of five minutes, McCurry netting his impressive first goal.

Tyrone led by 1-9 to 0-6 at half-time, and stretched the advantage to seven, before Mayo, with the gusting wind in their backs, started to press and closed the gap to two.

Tyrone went 12 minutes without scoring, before wing back Ciaran McGinley and 'keeper Niall Morgan, from a free, got them back on track.

And they settled the game with McCurry's second goal, planted accurately in the corner of the net.

Cavanagh's entry after 50 minutes was warmly welcomed by manager Harte, who sees his skipper as the catalyst for an assault on both major titles.

SCORERS –Tyrone: D McCurry 2-4 (1f), M Donnelly 0-5, C McGinley 0-2, P Harte, N Morgan (f), C McAliskey, R O'Neill (1f) 0-1 each. Mayo: A Gallagher 0-9 (6fs), K McLoughlin 0-2, A Moran, K Higgins, L Keegan, B Gallagher, C Carolan 0-1 each.

Tyrone – N Morgan 7; A McCrory 6, C Clarke 7, B Tierney 5; C McGinley 7, P Harte 7, T McCann 6; C Cavanagh 7, C Grugan 6;, E McKenna 5, S McGuigan 5, P Hughes 5; D McCurry 8, M Donnelly 8, R O'Neill 7. Subs: C McAliskey 7 for Hughes (h-t), S Cavanagh 6 for McKenna (50), Mark Donnelly 6 for McGuigan (50), D Carlin 5 for Tierney for Tierney (58)

Mayo – R Hennelly 6; K Keane 5, G Cafferkey 6, C Boyle 6; L Keegan 7, S McHale 6, D Drake 7; A O'Shea 7, J Gibbons 6; C Carolan 6, K Higgins 6, A Gallagher 8; K McLoughlin 6, A Moran 5, D O'Connor 5. Subs: B Harrison 5 for Boyle (h-t), B Gallagher 6 for O'Connor (h-t), M Conroy 5 for Carolan (h-t), J Doherty 4 for Cafferkey (58), A Freeman 4 for Keegan (65).

God14

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 10, 2014, 11:17:19 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 10, 2014, 11:11:34 AM
I only saw the highlights last night and some of our forward play looked amazing. I'm glad Mickey has them back playing like that with a lot more foot passing into our FF line. Players like McCurry, Mattie & RoN will only benefit from playing like that.
I hope all the Ulster teams buy into this model and not return to playing sweepers but I'd fear come championship it will all get more serious and teams won't allow good players the space to tear them apart again.

How did our defenders play yesterday? How was McNabb and McCann. I've never saw him before.

Mcnabb wasnt playing, mcginleyw as the other WHB.
Mccann did rightly yesterday, but i cant see him holding on to a starting jersey come championship time.

I would like to see RON get a run of games at 11.
I think he has the vision and passing ability to be able to cuase damage from there, im not sure he has the real pace to make it as an inside forward.

McGinley had a great second half yesterday. McCann struggled in my opinion. I think he would benefit from a good run of games to be honest. He has a good engine, but id like to see him to be more aggressive. I don't think he will be starting come championship, but he is definitely one for the future. He should have done better with the pass to Mattie Donnelly towards the end of the first half, panicked a little.
That's to be expected with rookies though. Read a good article somewhere yesterday where Enda McGinley reckoned most Tyrone fans now felt that his group arrived on the scene in 02/03'  as the 'finished article' - when clearly they didn't. There's potential there, and plenty of improvement in the tank

We need to get a handle however on the centre of our defence - far too open regardless of going 'man to man'. That standard wouldn't be any where near good enough come July or August.

joemamas

Quote from: maigheo on February 10, 2014, 01:59:04 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 10, 2014, 12:44:27 AM
Quote from: maigheo on February 10, 2014, 12:24:47 AM
In case we forget it was Regan who turned down the invitation to join the panel ,but shur never let the facts get in the way of a rant against the mayo management

Not true. Dropped last Summer. And who s ranting?
Not picking a fight with you but Regan declined an invite to rejoin the panel this year to concentrate on sigerson and u21 which is his right.For all we know maybe Regan was not performing in training ,thus the reason why he was dropped last summer.I would find it hard to believe that Horan would drop a player that would possibly have helped mayo win the all ireland.I hope Regan makes him self available for Mayo again and  fulfills his potential

Like a lot of people, I was surprised when Regan was let go off the panel last year, he should be pissed off. However, somebody should take him aside and advise him, that this current team has a pretty narrow window to win an all-Ireland. Danger for him not joining this group, is that he becomes a pivotal part of a Mayo team in a year or two that may be past their prime or in the middle of a rebuild. He should think it out. James Horan should also do what he has to to bring him back, if Regan declines in the next month or two then so be it. James Horan should say he did make the offer and then move on.

I am not panicking yet, it is February. James Horan did not become a bad manager overnight. We are struggling winning primary ball at midfield, at the end of the day, if you dont have the ball, it is more difficult to win a game. Last year, most teams were afraid to kick the ball out such was our dominance, that will improve when Seamus o Shea, Barry Moran and Tom Parsons are available.

I am worried about our forward line out and their inability to kick points. Carolan is a great worker, but his kicking/passing skills level are most likely below where they should be for an intercounty player. Andy may have to assume the role of a impact sub, as most likely will Alan Dillon if he recovers fully.

We have a strong panel at our disposal, a good manager and a good coach. Lets stay positive and remember it is February 10th.

Beantown

Lads, I read an article a couple of weeks ago in the Irish star I think.. It was about a Mayo forward playing sigerson this year, maybe for Sligo?? He went on to score 9-10 points that day but ended up on the losing team... Is this the lad Regan? Anyhow, I am not buying all the negativity about Mayo this year... They are missing a good chunk of the starting team from last year and it's still only Feb!! When everyone is back and fit they are as god as anybody in the country, remember last year they were so close but injuries to key forwards took its toll...

As for Tyrone, we have plenty to be optimistic about, but plenty far of work to be done.....key players returning will add strength in depth to the squad but the centre of defence needs tightened up.. Harte is not a CHB and Clarke is too slow for FB, great under the high ball but let's his man out in front first too often. Maybe CHB would suit him better...Would like McCann and mcnabb to get a run of games.

nrico2006

Quote from: Beantown on February 10, 2014, 01:43:07 PM
Lads, I read an article a couple of weeks ago in the Irish star I think.. It was about a Mayo forward playing sigerson this year, maybe for Sligo?? He went on to score 9-10 points that day but ended up on the losing team... Is this the lad Regan? Anyhow, I am not buying all the negativity about Mayo this year... They are missing a good chunk of the starting team from last year and it's still only Feb!! When everyone is back and fit they are as god as anybody in the country, remember last year they were so close but injuries to key forwards took its toll...

As for Tyrone, we have plenty to be optimistic about, but plenty far of work to be done.....key players returning will add strength in depth to the squad but the centre of defence needs tightened up.. Harte is not a CHB and Clarke is too slow for FB, great under the high ball but let's his man out in front first too often. Maybe CHB would suit him better...Would like McCann and mcnabb to get a run of games.

McBride would be the man for full back or CHB.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rosnarun

Quote from: joemamas on February 10, 2014, 01:26:13 PM
In case we forget it was Regan who turned down the invitation to join the panel ,but shur never let the facts get in the way of a rant against the mayo management

Not picking a fight with you but Regan declined an invite to rejoin the panel this year to concentrate on sigerson and u21 which is his right.For all we know maybe Regan was not performing in training ,thus the reason why he was dropped last summer.I would find it hard to believe that Horan would drop a player that would possibly have helped mayo win the all ireland.I hope Regan makes him self available for Mayo again and  fulfills his potential

Like a lot of people, I was surprised when Regan was let go off the panel last year, he should be pissed off. However, somebody should take him aside and advise him, that this current team has a pretty narrow window to win an all-Ireland. Danger for him not joining this group, is that he becomes a pivotal part of a Mayo team in a year or two that may be past their prime or in the middle of a rebuild. He should think it out. James Horan should also do what he has to to bring him back, if Regan declines in the next month or two then so be it. James Horan should say he did make the offer and then move on.

I am not panicking yet, it is February. James Horan did not become a bad manager overnight. We are struggling winning primary ball at midfield, at the end of the day, if you dont have the ball, it is more difficult to win a game. Last year, most teams were afraid to kick the ball out such was our dominance, that will improve when Seamus o Shea, Barry Moran and Tom Parsons are available.

I am worried about our forward line out and their inability to kick points. Carolan is a great worker, but his kicking/passing skills level are most likely below where they should be for an intercounty player. Andy may have to assume the role of a impact sub, as most likely will Alan Dillon if he recovers fully.

We have a strong panel at our disposal, a good manager and a good coach. Lets stay positive and remember it is February 10th.

Look letse worry about the players we have and those that are willing to resume after injury rather than stay a home saviours .
I was encouraged by the way mayo turned it around in the 2nd half as they a mess before the Break.
Its important that these games are used to weed out the Wheat from the chaff when it come to the Newer players
Adam Gallagher looks a natural . so did harrision yeaterday but was very poor against kildare  Vice versa when it come to D oconnor both needs further monitoring ,
I Stephen coen Looked ok when he came on but darren did little to impress.
Lets just hope the selectors cam make sense of what they are seeing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Man Marker

Tyrone are certainly going well, we having a lot of scoring potential, but Harte is not a CHB, he is so suited to WHB I can't for the life of me figure out why the Uncle can't see that, or maybe he can't see another player who can play CHB and Peters the best of the bunch. Clarke will get destroyed at FB when the ground hardens and the speedsters can turn faster.

bucko

Quote from: joemamas on February 10, 2014, 01:26:13 PM

Winning possession didn't appear to be the problem yesterday, it was the use of it. Along with the Regan situation, it's also starting to look like Freeman is being alienated. The only full forward player who started every championship match last year and IMO improved with every game only got 5 mins yesterday. Very hard to justify considering how utterly ineffective that line was yesterday.

highorlow

QuoteAlong with the Regan situation, it's also starting to look like Freeman is being alienated. The only full forward player who started every championship match last year and IMO improved with every game only got 5 mins yesterday.

Can you explain how you think Freeman is alienated?

I would prefer to see us through the league as injury free as possible.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Wee Roddy

Conor Gormley to me would be the natural centre half back for Tyrone. He can hold the centre, is a big physical presence and his distribution is top drawer.

God14

Quote from: Wee Roddy on February 10, 2014, 03:22:25 PM
Conor Gormley to me would be the natural centre half back for Tyrone. He can hold the centre, is a big physical presence and his distribution is top drawer.

Yeah id agree with that. Id like to see Conor at 6 & Pete Harte switched to 7.

Any word about Carrickmore Roddy when he is likely to be back? Read somewhere a while back that his wife was due to give birth to twins in Feb? I noticed at the Derry match nearly all the injured players were present (even longer term injured players like AIdan Cass) - but no sign of SON or Conor... Maybe I read too much into these things!

EC Unique

Agree. He would work well there with 2 solid Errigal men either side to keep him right ;)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: EC Unique on February 10, 2014, 03:56:51 PM

Agree. He would work well there with 2 solid Errigal men either side to keep him right ;)
i would agree with that also.
Gormley at 6 and Joe at 3 would give a great solid centre to the defence and might give Harte a wee bit more freedom from the wing, or even to push up and play that dooher role from 10.

I would also like to see ronan oneill given a few games at CHF, i think he could have the passing ability and vision to really cause a bit of damage from there
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Beantown

As good as Gormley has been for Tyrone, probably was our best ever defender, maybe even still is, it would be more important to look to the future.. This will probably be his last year, mores the pity!

rrhf

My team is
Morgan / O Neill
Mc Crory, Clarke, Joe Mc Mahon 
Mc Ginley, Gormley, Harte             
Mc Kenna / Grugan,  Colm Cavanagh
Mark Donnelly Sean Cavanagh Conor Mc Aliskey
Ronan O Neill, Mattie Donnelly, Darren Mc Curry.       

I think that keeps us solid and experienced at the back with some blinding pace at wing half back, I havent liked our half forward line this year, we need the break ball that Mark Donnelly can win and Sean setting off.  I think one of the reasons we have a loose defence is we are missing Gormley and indeed Mc Mahon so badly in there.  I think Mc Aliskey and O Neill have laid on some superb ball this season.  Fair play to Mickey he has persevered with some players and they are now starting to deliver - sometimes its all a young lad needs is the faith of the manager.  Morgan probably has goals at the moment but I really like the Clonoe lad as well, in fact if he was taking the frees he would be in.  I think we have two cracking keepers at the moment.  Both Grugan and Mc Kenna have to be persevered with as they are the most likely to succeed to let Sean up front.  Theres a big year in Darren Mc Curry and Ronan O Neill and Mc Aliskey.