Tyrone v Mayo - 9th Feb in Omagh - Deferred coverage on TG4

Started by Fuzzman, February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Always a tough game for Tyrone and with teams hugely changed from last years semi final meeting this could be another interesting game.

Will we see any of the older lads coming back into the fold? What about big Sean at FF?

I wonder will we continue with the open man for man defence. Will Mickey continue to chop and change now or try to find a settled team. Mayo sure put up a big score against Kildare despite missing quite a few regulars.

Under Lights

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM
Always a tough game for Tyrone and with teams hugely changed from last years semi final meeting this could be another interesting game.

Will we see any of the older lads coming back into the fold? What about big Sean at FF?

Matty Donnelly is scheduled for a long term run at FF.

Fuzzman

Why do you say that UL or what have you heard.
He didn't get much room on Sat night to show his true worth I felt.
Great to see Morgan kicking those 45's so effortlessly but I hope he learns this year to stay out of the verbal stuff and not to react to the crowd. If he gets a reputation for that he'll get a lot more pressure at away games when going up to hit his frees.

Do people think Clarke will stay at FB for the whole season. As someone else mentioned he's a bit slow and often allows his man to get out in front and then he jockeys him. McCrory is another who does the same but has a lot more pace but seems almost scared to get in front of his man in case it goes over his head. Is PJ Quinn back in the squad for the year or could we lose him again.
To me he's our best man marker but like a lot of our better players he's often out injured.

kickingmule

Quote from: Under Lights on February 03, 2014, 01:55:44 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on February 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM

Matty Donnelly is scheduled for a long term run at FF.
I hope not to be honest, i believe Mattie donnelly could do a great job @ chb along with PJ Lavery and Ronan Mcnabb,
I think the half back line has been the problem area, offering no cover and leaving our backline totally exposed time and time again.
It is early in the season i know, but now is the time to sort it.

Fuzzman

Yeah you could be right kickingmule
Did he play there a few games last year or drop back there as a sweeper?

Here's a little reminder of the meeting last year in the championship
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2013/0825/470194-mayo-tyrone/

Under Lights

MH has identified a problem of ball winning in our FFL. He see's Matty as being the player with the ability to solve that. It will take the lad a while to adjust to this new role. Matty has tested through the roof in his off the mark speed and upper body strength. I feel whenever the summer season kicks in, ground a bit better, we will see the best of him at this.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Under Lights on February 03, 2014, 03:57:13 PM
MH has identified a problem of ball winning in our FFL. He see's Matty as being the player with the ability to solve that. It will take the lad a while to adjust to this new role. Matty has tested through the roof in his off the mark speed and upper body strength. I feel whenever the summer season kicks in, ground a bit better, we will see the best of him at this.

Yeah and as we all know these tests are all that matters when it comes to picking a team.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned ability, MD is not a full forward he does his best work round the middle 3rd of the pitch, MH just wont bite the bullet and drop his nephew from CHB.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

God14

I think its worth persisting with Matty at FF for now. He offers something very different. Ok it didn't work out on Saturday night but we need to give him more time. I think we have on paper loads of different options in the squad from 5 til 12 - but we are short of options in the full back line & our Full forwards are all a little similar - i.e McCurry, Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey are all very similar in size, and playing style.
Id keep Matty there for a good run of games & reassess it later.

Peter Harte is not a centre half back, and looked more exposed without the customary sweeper in there. Mark Lynch had a big game through the centre on Saturday past - we looked very open at times. Id like to see Peter Harte at 5 or 7 instead where he can better utilise his speed & ball carrying abilities

Redhand Santa

With 2 away games in Munster to come in march I think this is a very important game if tyrone are to have a chance of making the semis. Hopefully the younger players can push on from Saturday and learn some lessons from it. Mayo will be strong round the middle so it's important tyrone get stuck in there. I'd like to see a change at centre half back and mattie Donnelly brought out the pitch to win ball. Pj and McGuigan will be lucky to start again but given their performances in the McKenna cup I'd give both another go. Would like to see this team
Morgan
Mcginley
Clarke
Tierney
Mcnabb
Mcbride
Harte
Colm
Grugan
Pj lavery
McGuigan
Mattie d
Mccurry
Mcaliskey
O'neill

I wonder if there is a chance Harte will go back to keeper rotation or if he believes Morgan is now too important for it. I'm not convinced with the full back line but options are limited.

tyroneman

Not sure why folks are so hard on mcGuigan. I thought he was one of our better players last Sat. Plenty more were much worse.

Redhand Santa

Maybe I'm being harsh on McGuigan and expecting too much following the McKenna cup but I'd just liked to have seen him pick up a bit more ball. He has the potential to pick up ball from kick outs and seems to be a decent fielder. Would be hoping for the likes of him to really push on during the league.

Fuzzman

Where's all the Mayo lads? Usually they would have started this thread yesterday and be on page 10 today.
Are they devastated from losing to Kildare yesterday or all gone to Spain for a training camp?

God14

Quote from: tyroneman on February 03, 2014, 10:45:18 PM
Not sure why folks are so hard on mcGuigan. I thought he was one of our better players last Sat. Plenty more were much worse.

True. Some of McGuigans passing was excellent. He was gobbled up a few times by the derry pack & he was unfortunate with the bounce on at least on occasion & also missed a score-able free towards the end of the first half. But he did well considering that was a significant step up from McKenna cup or anything he would have experienced before. Hopefully he will come on for that experience because its clear he has talent. Always got the head up when he's running with the ball looking for the runners, and sprayed a few lovely passes into McCurry in particular, who was always out in front of his man.

Fuzzman

Yeah I'd say like McCurry will benefit from Shea's vison and passing as he makes good runs off the ball and because of his pace he needs to get the ball early with his man trying to catch up with his run rather than a high ball into him where his marker will often out muscled or outfield him.
At the moment McCurry looks our most exciting forward which has surprised me as I was expecting RON to be our new goto man for scores.

Any more news on people returning from injuries?
When is Joey or Gormley expected back?

Rossfan

With a three week break after this game can we expect 100 pages on this one? :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM