Railway Cup

Started by North Longford, April 11, 2007, 12:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Longford

Seems like a bit of effort must be going to be put into this this year.
Glad to see it.

Inter-provincials return to Croke Park
11 April 2007

Croke Park will host the Inter-provincial hurling and football finals for the first time since 1991 later this year.

A double-header of finals will take place under lights on Saturday, October 20, with the semi-finals being held the previous weekend at provincial venues. It will only be the fourth occasion since 1980 that Croke Park has hosted the football final, while the hurling decider hasn't been played there since 1995.

In recent years, the football and hurling finals were played alternately on foreign shores (Rome, Paris and Boston), and both the GAA and competition sponsor M Donnelly will be hopeful of a strong turn-out this autumn, especially as there is no International Rules series taking place.

At the height of their popularity, the Railway Cup finals attracted attendances in excess of 60,000 every St. Patrick's Day.

The All-Ireland Colleges finals will also be played at GAA headquarters this year for the first time since 2001. A double-header will take place on Sunday, April 22 with Waterford's De La Salle taking on Kilkenny CBS in the hurling final and Omagh CBS and Tralee CBS going head-to-head in the football decider.

blasmere

I'd rather watch the Railway Cup than international rules.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

cavan4ever

thats for sure blasmere

Hardy

This'll be a good opportunity to test the marketing theory - i.e. hype it and they'll come.  It's easy to understand why big crowds turned out for the international Mixed Martial Football and the novelty of the new lights. If thousands can be enticed out to support teams that don't really capture the fans' loyalty (with the exception of Ulster, I suppose) at the arse-end of the season when people have had their fill of real championship football, then it will tell us a lot.

Maybe it's Brush Shields that's the secret?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on April 11, 2007, 12:06:41 PMMaybe it's Brush Shields that's the secret?

Wash ur mouth out Hardy...

Given the same marketing as the IR I can see the finals being very popular, good idea.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

This is what its been crying out for for years. Lets make sure its a success so they cannot go back to that Aussie shite after.

Over the Bar

QuoteI'd rather watch the Railway Cup than international rules.

I'd agree but I think the players would get more motivation from being selected for the Int Rules panel than the Railway Cup one.  I think they should take the final on tour every year as they did in Paris for the ex-pats.  It would get huge crowds as well in the likes of the US & Oz.

full back

IMO, it would be an idea to try and hold the competition at the beginning of the year.
Simple reason being, if it capture's the public's imagination it will be a success.
With the crowds that the 'Mickey Mouse' competitions got this year surely it is worth a try.
At the beginning of the year people are gagging for football and if marketed correctly it could be back to the good old days.IMO

Gnevin

Should of happened 8 years ago but lets hope this is a new beginning . And going on past form a Leinster V Ulster Final would be a cracker , can Leinster make it 3 in a row?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

IolarCoisCuain

The Railway Cup always did more to promote players from so-called "weaker counties" than all this old blather about the Tommy Murphy Cup. It's marvellous to see some effort being put into its proper promotion.

tayto

Good stuff. Long overdue. Hope they push the marketing. High hopes a couple of Dubs might make th eLeinster hurling panel over the next few years.

SLIGONIAN

About time..great idea but should of been done years ago. This could reignite it as a competition. Wouldnt be suprised if that final amassed a huge crowd. Hopefully Connaght will make it to the final in both. Although connaght hurling = galway+(seevers but probably too old now)... Who will manage Connaght now O Mahonys with Mayo?..Brehony, Davey, O hara, Harrison, J Davey should make it..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Kerry Mike

Its a good idea hopefully it will be a success.

Hopefully it wont have a big impact on club games as a lot of counties will still be in championship mode in October.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football