Necknomination

Started by Eamonnca1, February 02, 2014, 03:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: laoislad on February 02, 2014, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 02, 2014, 09:50:22 AM
Lads I totally agree that it is completely stupid and ridiculous and putting it up on Facebook etc is irresponsible but is there also not a small bit of hypocrisy about some of the reactions?  I recall regularly having 'necking' competitions ofhalf bottles of vodka and southern comfort and trust me we were a lot younger than the gobshites on the videos.   Yeah it is stupid but it is not a new thing.   The Spectrum on a Saturday night, cocktails 1.95 a piece, 3 vlqck Russians in a pint glass and away ye go!  I think sometimes we really think we grew up in a utopia.
I've never seen anyone try a neck a bottle or even half a bottle of vodka.
A pint of stout or lager maybe but never a fecking pint of vodka!

I watched one yesterday and the the fella necked two bottles of buckfast. It couldn't be good for the system

AZOffaly

Bc1, no argument. Young lads are eejits and always have been. Including ourselves. I remember daring each other to walk across a water pipe under the bridge in Ferbane, even though a fair few couldn't swim.

But we didn't have social media to publicise and encourage our idiocy.

All that being said, it is pathetic and these are not 15 year olds. I see 40 and older year old men doing it.

Ps I've never seen anyone chugging a bottle of Smirnoff.

ballinaman

Just saw a lad snorting salt, drinking a full bottle of tequila and then squeezing lemon juice into his eyes...absolute gobshite >:(

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on February 02, 2014, 10:09:50 AM
Just saw a lad snorting salt, drinking a full bottle of tequila and then squeezing lemon juice into his eyes...absolute gobshite >:(

And how many of his friends "liked it"?

There should be a "cop the f**k on" button.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2014, 10:11:08 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 02, 2014, 10:09:50 AM

And how many of his friends "liked it"?

There should be a "cop the f**k on" button.

Who's to know its actually tequila ?? could be coloured water ffs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

I have never seen a bottle  but regularly half bottles were downed.  I agree about the social media but that is the worldwwe live in...if social media was available when we were young like it is now do you not think it would be the same?   I agree that 40 year old men should know better but 15 minutes of fame is a big attraction to the stupid!   What I can say from my own experience,  15/16 year olds that my son runs around with are not doing what we were at.   I have them staying in my house and I take them to abd collect them from discos and they're stone cold sober.   Far too much rose tinted glasses looking happens.

AZOffaly

You're missing the point I think, or at least arguing the wrong thing. I have no doubt young lads were, are and will be eejits.

That doesn't mean that this is fine, or that what we did was fine. At least in our case it couldn't inspire other apes to do the same because we couldn't show off to the world. However if caught, you got a slap on the head.

This is dangerous because of how these things gain momentum on social media and unfortunately this is not just young lads either.

orangeman

Aye it's time this shite was stopped before more people get hurt or worse.

Tony Baloney

Lads I totally agree that it is completely stupid and ridiculous and putting it up on Facebook etc is irresponsible but is there also not a small bit of hypocrisy about some of the reactions?  I recall regularly having 'necking' competitions ofhalf bottles of vodka and southern comfort and trust me we were a lot younger than the gobshites on the videos.   Yeah it is stupid but it is not a new thing.   The Spectrum on a Saturday night, cocktails 1.95 a piece, 3 vlqck Russians in a pint glass and away ye go!  I think sometimes we really think we grew up in a utopia.
Only the diesel men round Cross would have the money as a young lad for 3 Black Russians in a glass.

brokencrossbar1

Social media is the problem as it allows the stupid to have no minds of their own!   Peer pressure was always there,  just a bit more intense and in your face now.   If anything the age profile of the idiots seems to have changed dramatically and it is now mid 20s as opposed to teenagers.   But the basic argument I waa making is that the whole concept is not new and some of the faux outrage is ott.

AZOffaly

That young lad in Carlow is a former Carlow minor hurler.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2014, 10:26:44 AM
Only the diesel men round Cross would have the money as a young lad for 3 Black Russians in a glass.

Only at 1.95 a pop!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 02, 2014, 10:29:55 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 02, 2014, 10:26:44 AM

Only at 1.95 a pop!
Rich bastard.

Agree with you though. Pint glass with several vodka and lime (£1) would have been a popular tipple.