The 2014 Six Nations Thread

Started by screenexile, January 28, 2014, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

I can understand kicking to touch for field position but is it ever a good idea to kicj away ball straight to an opponent. England were denied a try by inches and hit the upright with a penalty. Ireland had no such near misses
Thought Ireland were flatered by th margin. Sexton made some awful mistakes.

trileacman

True it was a day made for O'Gara.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyroneman

Does this mean only 80% rather than the usual 99% of the Sunday Times sport dedicated to rugby tomorrow?

Tony Baloney

Destroy Italy in Dublin and beat France in Paris by a few and job done  ;D

Syferus

Quote from: fearglasmor on February 22, 2014, 08:58:39 PM
I can understand kicking to touch for field position but is it ever a good idea to kicj away ball straight to an opponent. England were denied a try by inches and hit the upright with a penalty. Ireland had no such near misses

Sexton was clearly concussed after that hit he took ten minutes into the second half. You could see him trying to snap himself out of a stupor for ages afterwards and it clearly effected his decision-making and execution.

mouview

Quote from: Syferus on February 23, 2014, 01:28:25 AM

Sexton was clearly concussed after that hit he took ten minutes into the second half. You could see him trying to snap himself out of a stupor for ages afterwards and it clearly effected his decision-making and execution.

Don't  think it takes a big hit to affect Sexton's decision-making; once again under great pressure he folded. BOD far from the worst but, Shefflin-like, it's hard to escape the feeling that this is a season too far for him. Zebo might be a bit of a guloot but he'd offer more danger than Trimble; can anyone tell me what D'Arcy contributes at this stage?

Syferus

Quote from: mouview on February 23, 2014, 01:46:16 AM

Don't  think it takes a big hit to affect Sexton's decision-making; once again under great pressure he folded. BOD far from the worst but, Shefflin-like, it's hard to escape the feeling that this is a season too far for him. Zebo might be a bit of a guloot but he'd offer more danger than Trimble; can anyone tell me what D'Arcy contributes at this stage?

Oh yeah, Sexton really wilts under pressure  ::)

BOD looked very lively today in a game where there was quite literally zero space in the middle, that in itself is an achievement. Trimble was very composed and made a few breaks that nearly resulted in tries. Very hard to question the selections when we're on course for the Six Nations title.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 23, 2014, 01:46:16 AM

If BOD is Shefflin,  France must be the Galway hurlers

Dinny Breen

That is a damn good England side and no shame in losing a tight game to them. I thought their line-speed in defence was excellent, pushed the off-side line and they flooded the rucks well nullifying our ability to turn-over ball and took O'Mahony out of the game. Sexton was poor in attack, nothing wrong with the ideas just the execution was poor but he was pretty physical in defence and is certainly no speed bump. Murray and Sexton though were completely outshone by their counter-parts and Care was my MOTM. Will come down to the last round of games and Ireland and France will head into the last game on the last day knowing exactly what is required to win it. Best championship in year.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 23, 2014, 09:07:32 AM
That is a damn good England side and no shame in losing a tight game to them. I thought their line-speed in defence was excellent, pushed the off-side line and they flooded the rucks well nullifying our ability to turn-over ball and took O'Mahony out of the game. Sexton was poor in attack, nothing wrong with the ideas just the execution was poor but he was pretty physical in defence and is certainly no speed bump. Murray and Sexton though were completely outshone by their counter-parts and Care was my MOTM. Will come down to the last round of games and Ireland and France will head into the last game on the last day knowing exactly what is required to win it. Best championship in year.

England had a few overlaps that they missed as well. Fellas out wide and poor communication.
Farrell was poor enough too.
Ireland are not that far off the pace . Maybe a few changes for the next day and they missed O'Brien. 
Season 2 with Schmidt should be very interesting.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2014, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 23, 2014, 09:07:32 AM

England had a few overlaps that they missed as well. Fellas out wide and poor communication.
Farrell was poor enough too.
Ireland are not that far off the pace . Maybe a few changes for the next day and they missed O'Brien. 
Season 2 with Schmidt should be very interesting.

O'Brien would have given us line-breaks it was pretty noticeable England picked and chose which of our rucks to compete on, it was easy as we just weren't getting over the gain-line, Marshall would have made a difference in that regard and would have put the English defence on more of a back foot. Expect to see him for the Italian game, plus we need a Zebo/Bowe as well. Trimble and Kearney too similar.

Not despondent and think we are still Championship favs even allowing for our record in Paris.
#newbridgeornowhere

Estimator

I was at the game and regarding the overlaps it was as if throwing the ball out wide was not part of the game plan. Almost like England have no confidence in the wingers. Jonny May only has one move and that was to cut inside every time. It was always going to be a mistake that decided the game and that was Sexton's drop out straight over the sideline. Still Ireland have a 20pts score difference that may come into the reckoning as well.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hardy

Betfair:
England 2.74
Ireland 3.05
Wales 5.7
France 6.8