Doire v Tir Eoghain, Celtic Park, Sat 1st Feb & on Setanta Sports 1

Started by Fuzzman, January 22, 2014, 03:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2014, 08:48:32 AM
Quote from: kickingmule on February 02, 2014, 01:41:27 AM
Cassidy if injury free the best midfielder around, Time to cull mckenna's x3 + Mc neice, Mc bride, no where near county standard and
Harte needs to get his act together or he could be joining them.
The rest of the new comers have been very impressive.
Con Grugan looks a great prospect, but disappointed with Ronan O'Neills  workrate when interduced.

McBride looks a better prospect at this stage than Cassidy to be honest.  Why persist with a man in the squad who makes Darren Anderton look like Robocop?
saw peter harte mark cassidy in the championship last year- cassidy never got near harte then went of injured before half time.
grugan and c cavanagh are probably the best mid field pairing atm, add in one of the mc mahons and conor gormley to roam around the middle would be helping.

DennistheMenace

A few points.

1) Excellent game of football, credit to both sets of players serving up the qualirt in dire conditions, shame about our lack of support though.

2) Derry should have won with the opportunities they had.

3) That was by no means a 'reserve' Tyrone side, yes they were missing players and Derry had a stronger team out but Derry will have a serious squad once Ballinderry players come back on board as well as other key players to come back in for the summer.

4) Derry will survive in Division 1, Tyrone could potentially win the league.

sensethetone

only asking.. which ballinderry players would be considered starters for derry and from the team who played tyrone who would they replace?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: sensethetone on February 03, 2014, 01:19:15 PM
only asking.. which ballinderry players would be considered starters for derry and from the team who played tyrone who would they replace?

It's all opinion really isn't it? I'd have McKinless, Nevin and Bell starting. Devlin as sub probably, outside of BDerry you'd have PJ McCloskey and Skinner two starters come Championship and possibly McGoldrick and Heavron.

nrico2006

Quote from: DennistheMenace on February 03, 2014, 01:39:02 PM

It's all opinion really isn't it? I'd have McKinless, Nevin and Bell starting. Devlin as sub probably, outside of BDerry you'd have PJ McCloskey and Skinner two starters come Championship and possibly McGoldrick and Heavron.

Have Nevin or McKinless ever played for Derry before even?  I don't think Derrys championship team will be that much different from the team at the weekend. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2014, 01:45:55 PM

Have Nevin or McKinless ever played for Derry before even?  I don't think Derrys championship team will be that much different from the team at the weekend. 

Nor will Tyrones.

sheamy

Quote from: God14 on February 02, 2014, 01:53:43 PM
Yeah I've woken up & thought about it and very dissapointed we didn't win that game. Derry huffed & puffed and battled well for a draw.. But at the end of the day we were 7 points up in the second half.

Whilst both sides were missing say 5 men - the caliber of the men we were missing was much more significant than derrys. For example Sean Cav could have fielded the odd kick out when we lost 7 I'm a row. He'd have kicked a few scores as well. We are missing foer allstars and footballers of the year like!
Gormley would have organised the defence better. We could have done with the athleticism of the Mahons too.
Had mickey really wanted to close it out we would have deployed a sweeper fr the final 25 mins
Dissapointed.
A point lost.

No harm to big Sean but he wouldn't win a single ball off PJ McCloskey in the air.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 03, 2014, 01:47:57 PM

Nor will Tyrones.

Tyrone will more than likely start Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey, Cavanagh, Joe McMahon and Conor Gormley.  Justin McMahon will also start if he ever gets a free run at it injury wise. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Ye Derry lads sure are funny.
Some of ye told us before the game that this is Tyrone reserves and come the summer all the experienced lads will be back. Ye were telling us how ye expect to beat us easy enough as we never win there, which was true.
Ye shot into an early lead and looked very good but then from about 20 mins on ye were playing catch for the rest of the game.

Now you're saying this was Tyrone's first choice team and ye were unlucky not to beat us. We got 2 jammy goals and depended too much on Morgan and McCurry.

Over Christmas if you had been told you will play Tyrone in Celtic park without Sean Cavanagh, S.O'Neill, 2 McMahons, Conor Gormley, Penrose, Mark Donnelly, Aidan Cassidy, Carlin & Cathal McCarron would you not have thought you would win handy enough? I think you would.

On another note, what did ye all think of the advantage rule. I think it's going to take a bit of time for players and fans to get used to it and it will no doubt lead to a lot of frustration where the ball will be called back after a player doesn't get the advantage.

J OGorman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2014, 02:16:10 PM

Nor will Tyrones.

Tyrone will more than likely start Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey, Cavanagh, Joe McMahon and Conor Gormley.  Justin McMahon will also start if he ever gets a free run at it injury wise.

the McMahons and Gormley are done, best to stop thinking they are the final piece of the jigsaw. MH knows what he's at

shawshank

The one thing that I noticed on sat was the amount of supporters who hadn't a clue what the black card was for, and if this is the form, there will be some refs at club level who will get some verbals from supporters who simply have not taken time to understand what the black card is actually for.

tyroneman

Quote from: shawshank on February 03, 2014, 02:45:29 PM
The one thing that I noticed on sat was the amount of supporters who hadn't a clue what the black card was for, and if this is the form, there will be some refs at club level who will get some verbals from supporters who simply have not taken time to understand what the black card is actually for.

Unfortunaltey McQuillan, who lectured the club referees about the black card (along with Pat McEnany) doesn't seem to have a clue either based on Saturday nights performance.

screenexile

Quote from: shawshank on February 03, 2014, 02:45:29 PM

I agree... people were talking about Kielts tackle on McKenna being a black card. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder but there was no malice in it and it certainly doesn't fall under the banner of the Black Card!!

nrico2006

Quote from: J OGorman on February 03, 2014, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 03, 2014, 02:16:10 PM

Nor will Tyrones.

the McMahons and Gormley are done, best to stop thinking they are the final piece of the jigsaw. MH knows what he's at

Joe McMahon is far from done, and Justin has a good few years left in him yet if he gets over his injuries.

Fuzzman

Show what you know JOG with yer biased Derry glasses
He might have slowed up a good bit but Conor Gormley was still our best defender last year.
Yeah his man might beat him the odd time but he's still a class act and if we meet again in the summer ye might appreciate this a bit more.
Joey also is one of our top performers as he can play almost anywhere. He's had his fair share of injuries but he played a good bit last year.
Justy I'm afraid has never been the same since 2008 and maybe he will turn it around but I think you might be right about him. I hope not as he's a class act but should he get fit those three would certainly go straight into any defence in the country but of course you're too biased to see that.

I think it's very hard for refs now trying to see what is deliberate and what isn't.
Did any of ye see Aidan O'Sheas tackle on the Kildare man. Even watching it on slow mo it's hard to say did he mean it or did his man pull him down on top of him as he fell.