new house - Rates

Started by Hereiam, January 17, 2014, 10:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Had only moved into newly built house about a month  and the guy landed today to measure for the rates. Will I pay from today or can I hold out to April

Minder

Quote from: Hereiam on January 17, 2014, 10:08:14 PM
Had only moved into newly built house about a month  and the guy landed today to measure for the rates. Will I pay from today or can I hold out to April

You are on the clock from today I think, new builds might be different but I doubt it.

I bought a house at end of November and had the rates bill for the remainder of the year within a week.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

A neighbour kept Windolene on his windows and didnt put his bin out for months to avoid paying rates.

Ulick

Got away with it for six months about two years back - we did have quite bit of work done to the house before we moved in though. Was told it was kinda accepted you get the benefit of the doubt if you have a plausible excuse to explain why you haven't fully moved in.

orangeman

Building control in the case of new builds trigger the rates man.

If there's work still to be done you can get a discount for a while.

comethekingdom

What sort of rates do ye pay up there in the wee 6 compared to LPT in the rest of the country? My house costs 315 quid per yr - dormer bungalow (out of town).

glens abu

My rates around £1000 a year,

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Mine are just over a £1000
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

I wonder when they are going to reassess rates based on current property prices as they did at the height of the market.

Rois

£1,200 Belfast City Council area. But no bin charges etc. my house was a new build in 2007 and pre-assessed. Prob at realistic rates for the value of the house now.

comethekingdom

Them are pretty sharp prices - My bins cost approx €300 a year so all in all not fairing too bad.

front of the mountain

Quote from: orangeman on January 17, 2014, 11:34:24 PM
Building control in the case of new builds trigger the rates man.

If there's work still to be done you can get a discount for a while.

Would I be right in saying if you done an extension to your home (and increased floor area of house), upon completion of Building control final cert your rates would be re calculated & increased?

Also would anyone know does your house insurance cover a building (home) that does not have a final building control cert??

highorlow

Are you a farmer CTK?

MHR regards houses on farms as worthless.............

Meanwhile, Independent TD for Kerry South, Michael Healy-Rae, has advised farmers to value their homes at the minimum rate. He claimed that farmhouses, regardless of size or spec, would be worthless to anyone but the farmer when situated on a working farm.

However, the comments sparked criticism from Dublin Labour TD, Robert Dowds, who accused Deputy Healy-Rae of giving people irresponsible advice.

"The penalties for knowingly undervaluing a property for the property tax are up to €3,000," stated Deputy Dowds.

"Deputy Healy-Rae's advice to farmers to arbitrarily value their houses at the minimum level is ill advised and could get farmers into considerable trouble with the Revenue Commissioners," he added.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

T Fearon

Got six months free myself 10 years ago! Big clamour and rates revaluation process ongoing in terms of business rates, but domestic rates increasing. As Land and Property Services Officials told me they have to fill the pot every year so no chance of any reduction unless domestic rate payers end masse demand that they get tough on the causes of rates