employment laws

Started by Milltown Row2, January 16, 2014, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2014, 12:13:13 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
Not a Monday club, as the initial post said he had timekeeping issues at the start but last year and a half he'd been grand, as said already no warnings issued, they have no paper work on him.

I work in training, teaching kids engineering, I've filled in hundreds of these things before and still do, I would never give a bad one, I've taken calls and written letters also. Some of the ex students you could just about stand but maybe in the time they had left they had changed young family or whatever, you wouldn't stop someone getting a job, would you?

It's not about stopping someone getting a job Milltown. It's about being both honest and reasonable in an assessment, otherwise there's absolutely no point in filling the form in. 

You can't ask the subject themselves. I have friends who genuinely believe that that taking one sick day a month is no big deal; they almost see it as their entitlement, and they don't see any issue with behaviour. Employers actually do need other employers to make them aware of such people.

Deiseach, people can and do change. If the subject here had gone from 12 sick days per year to 6, I'd probably still give him a 1, or a 2 at best. If he'd gone from 8 down to a couple, it would be a 3 or a 4.

I'm not unreasonable!

But a lot of bosses chose when to be honest and when not to be in some cases, rules are bent a lot of time in business, all guilty of it

Yes HS when you take the time off you have to expect people to hold that in their heads. I know when I worked as an apprentice in the Yard the sick rate was terrible, ya couldn't lose your job there, I remember my last day and they give me my notice (300 left that day) they'd a chart showing my attendance over the past 2 years, I had to hide my head in shame. We all learn from experiences, hopefully he'll do same.

Playing cards with him tonight, I won't be taking it easy lol

See his attendance record last night, he had 3 sick days and 5 lates over the last year. Not brilliant but not poor
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2014, 01:37:14 PM
Not a Monday club, as the initial post said he had timekeeping issues at the start but last year and a half he'd been grand, as said already no warnings issued, they have no paper work on him.

I work in training, teaching kids engineering, I've filled in hundreds of these things before and still do, I would never give a bad one, I've taken calls and written letters also. Some of the ex students you could just about stand but maybe in the time they had left they had changed young family or whatever, you wouldn't stop someone getting a job, would you?

It's not about stopping someone getting a job Milltown. It's about being both honest and reasonable in an assessment, otherwise there's absolutely no point in filling the form in. 

You can't ask the subject themselves. I have friends who genuinely believe that that taking one sick day a month is no big deal; they almost see it as their entitlement, and they don't see any issue with behaviour. Employers actually do need other employers to make them aware of such people.

Deiseach, people can and do change. If the subject here had gone from 12 sick days per year to 6, I'd probably still give him a 1, or a 2 at best. If he'd gone from 8 down to a couple, it would be a 3 or a 4.

I'm not unreasonable!

But a lot of bosses chose when to be honest and when not to be in some cases, rules are bent a lot of time in business, all guilty of it

Yes HS when you take the time off you have to expect people to hold that in their heads. I know when I worked as an apprentice in the Yard the sick rate was terrible, ya couldn't lose your job there, I remember my last day and they give me my notice (300 left that day) they'd a chart showing my attendance over the past 2 years, I had to hide my head in shame. We all learn from experiences, hopefully he'll do same.

See his attendance record last night, he had 3 sick days and 5 lates over the last year. Not brilliant but not poor

Your mate really needs to focus on the most important thing, which is getting another job.

If he goes down the legal route, he might win a relatively small victory. But if the case is reported in the media he might show up in a Google search for every job he ever applies for again and he can't control how those articles might read. For example if the headline has the word 'poor attendance', even it isn't the case, it could really hurt his prospects in the future.

Like I said, especially if the old boss is remorseful and on board for the next reference, he should focus on getting a new job.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Aye, hes been at the agencies and think he's had some positive leads, your right about the being known for bad attendance, can't be positive either.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2014, 01:37:14 PM

I'm not unreasonable!

Sounds like an average week in the civil service. Maybe they would give him a job.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2014, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 16, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's no legal aid for employment law matters.

Right, he'll be chuffed even more :o

Thanks for the info pwwf see you Monday?

Believe it or not, I was sitting on an Industrial Tribunal !!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 21, 2014, 08:44:24 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 16, 2014, 08:57:23 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 16, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's no legal aid for employment law matters.

Right, he'll be chuffed even more :o

Thanks for the info pwwf see you Monday?

Believe it or not, I was sitting on an Industrial Tribunal !!

And how it go?  ;D

playwiththewind1st

You expect me to divulge that on here?

Milltown Row2

playwiththewind1st

Aye right! I see now what you were referring to about Monday night - I wasn't invited, I've retired!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 22, 2014, 07:49:03 PM
Aye right! I see now what you were referring to about Monday night - I wasn't invited, I've retired!

Some daft questions thrown out by the floor!!

playwiththewind1st

Black card causing a bit of bother already then?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 22, 2014, 08:47:55 PM
Black card causing a bit of bother already then?

Wee bit, some questions valid others were daft. Should be a head wrecker come start of the leagues, think I'll stick to the hurling games lol