employment laws

Started by Milltown Row2, January 16, 2014, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: orangeman on January 17, 2014, 11:03:08 AM
His old boss needs a good slap for pulling a cheap, dirty stroke.
Sorry, you've got this arse about face completely.

It wasn't a dirty, cheap stroke, it was an honest answer to a simple question.

I've filled out dozens of these things and the questions are pretty fair and straight.

If the man in question here was a Monday club regular, then why should his former employer suggest otherwise?

deiseach

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:24:33 AM
I've filled out dozens of these things and the questions are pretty fair and straight.

If the man in question here was a Monday club regular, then why should his former employer suggest otherwise?

So if someone asked the question "Has this employee ever had any timekeeping issues?" you would answer "Yes" every time even though it hasn't been an issue for a number of years? Sure, you are answering the question that was asked, but have you never heard of nuance?

thewobbler

Quote from: deiseach on January 17, 2014, 11:32:23 AM

So if someone asked the question "Has this employee ever had any timekeeping issues?" you would answer "Yes" every time even though it hasn't been an issue for a number of years? Sure, you are answering the question that was asked, but have you never heard of nuance?
I've never seen a question as black and white as that regarding timekeeping. It wouldn't serve any purpose to ask it that way.

It's generally phrased as something like "rate absenteeism from 1-5" with a separate question for "rate timekeeping from 1-5".

If anyone I've managed has taken the piss with either, they won't be getting much better than a 1 or a 2. That, you see, is not actually my fault, but theirs.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on January 17, 2014, 11:19:10 AM
Taken at face value, I'm amazed at the way your friend has been snookered. I recall a man getting fired for bullying in the place I used to work. He had it coming to him after years of combustible behaviour, yet when talking to about it with a neighbour - I didn't give away any secrets, she had heard about it on the bush telegraph - she told me that companies need to be meticulous when it came to this kind of thing. You had to have accumulated three instances of it within six months. Anything older than that was scrubbed from your record. You would think that would apply in these circumstances. Can you really put down on a reference stuff that happened years ago and which you were never warned about? Shabby.

He wouldn't mind but he's had no warnings in 4 1/2 years yes his time keeping by his own admission was poor at the start but he seems to think that the boss thought he'd the job anyways and filled it it without actually thinking he was going to do him any harm. As it happens it's the one piece of information that was the most important thing he'd to fill in ! Massive lesson for all involved here.

I know I was certainly unaware of it and I've had a few different jobs over the years, I was always lead to believe if you got interview and job the you were sorted.
Quote from: deiseach on January 17, 2014, 11:32:23 AM

Not a Monday club, as the initial post said he had timekeeping issues at the start but last year and a half he'd been grand, as said already no warnings issued, they have no paper work on him.

I work in training, teaching kids engineering, I've filled in hundreds of these things before and still do, I would never give a bad one, I've taken calls and written letters also. Some of the ex students you could just about stand but maybe in the time they had left they had changed young family or whatever, you wouldn't stop someone getting a job, would you?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:39:47 AM
I've never seen a question as black and white as that regarding timekeeping. It wouldn't serve any purpose to ask it that way.

It's generally phrased as something like "rate absenteeism from 1-5" with a separate question for "rate timekeeping from 1-5".

If anyone I've managed has taken the piss with either, they won't be getting much better than a 1 or a 2. That, you see, is not actually my fault, but theirs.

So if someone takes the piss at some point, they'll never get better than a 2 no matter how hard they try in the future?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 17, 2014, 11:44:42 AM
Quote from: deiseach on January 17, 2014, 11:43:32 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:39:47 AM

So if someone takes the piss at some point, they'll never get better than a 2 no matter how hard they try in the future?
He was there for 4 and 1/2 years and took the piss for 3 of them, to be fair....

I'm not sure of the rate in fairness HS, I don't think he took over his allocated time for sick leave as he still got paid in full for whole time he was there. With no warnings. It's the not having paper work to back up a reference is the sticking point I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cold tea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2014, 10:39:57 AM

Quote from: StephenC on January 17, 2014, 10:37:37 AM
Why would you hand in your notice without having a signed contract from your new employer?

I know, hindsight is wonderful thing

That's not hindsight it's just common sense.

Cold tea

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 17, 2014, 11:40:08 AM

I know I was certainly unaware of it and I've had a few different jobs over the years, I was always lead to believe if you got interview and job the you were sorted.

Even with a signed contract, one can be on a probation period or awaiting security clearance, right to work clearance etc.

thewobbler

Not a Monday club, as the initial post said he had timekeeping issues at the start but last year and a half he'd been grand, as said already no warnings issued, they have no paper work on him.

I work in training, teaching kids engineering, I've filled in hundreds of these things before and still do, I would never give a bad one, I've taken calls and written letters also. Some of the ex students you could just about stand but maybe in the time they had left they had changed young family or whatever, you wouldn't stop someone getting a job, would you?

It's not about stopping someone getting a job Milltown. It's about being both honest and reasonable in an assessment, otherwise there's absolutely no point in filling the form in. 

You can't ask the subject themselves. I have friends who genuinely believe that that taking one sick day a month is no big deal; they almost see it as their entitlement, and they don't see any issue with behaviour. Employers actually do need other employers to make them aware of such people.

Deiseach, people can and do change. If the subject here had gone from 12 sick days per year to 6, I'd probably still give him a 1, or a 2 at best. If he'd gone from 8 down to a couple, it would be a 3 or a 4.

I'm not unreasonable!

deiseach

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:56:58 AM

It's not about stopping someone getting a job Milltown. It's about being both honest and reasonable in an assessment, otherwise there's absolutely no point in filling the form in. 

You can't ask the subject themselves. I have friends who genuinely believe that that taking one sick day a month is no big deal; they almost see it as their entitlement, and they don't see any issue with behaviour. Employers actually do need other employers to make them aware of such people.

Deiseach, people can and do change. If the subject here had gone from 12 sick days per year to 6, I'd probably still give him a 1, or a 2 at best. If he'd gone from 8 down to a couple, it would be a 3 or a 4.

I'm not unreasonable!

I appreciate your candour. However, as you say yourself, you can't ask the subject themselves.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2014, 11:56:58 AM

I'm not unreasonable!

But a lot of bosses chose when to be honest and when not to be in some cases, rules are bent a lot of time in business, all guilty of it

Yes HS when you take the time off you have to expect people to hold that in their heads. I know when I worked as an apprentice in the Yard the sick rate was terrible, ya couldn't lose your job there, I remember my last day and they give me my notice (300 left that day) they'd a chart showing my attendance over the past 2 years, I had to hide my head in shame. We all learn from experiences, hopefully he'll do same.

Playing cards with him tonight, I won't be taking it easy lol

Cold tea

Bigfella could give him a job, sounds like he'd fit in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cold tea on January 17, 2014, 12:21:55 PM

Accounts? better be shit with numbers tonight, though he might not way in lol

thebigfella

Quote from: Cold tea on January 17, 2014, 12:21:55 PM

You really are obsessed.... In fairness he probably knows far more about the IT industry than you, as you consistently prove you know fcuk all. How is the helpdesk these days, getting many calls?

deiseach