All-Ireland Club Semi Finals

Started by riptorn, January 14, 2014, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Poor Tom Humphries used to write a lot about Vincents before the demons took over.

brokencrossbar1

Muppet he deliberately changes his body position to turn his shoulder into the Vincents man's chest. Mike is absolutely correct,  this is the exact type of offence that the blackcard was introduced to eradicate.  There was no ball to play and he shouldered him straight down the middle, the archetypal 3rd man tackle.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2014, 11:00:31 PM
Poor Tom Humphries used to write a lot about Vincents before the demons took over.

f**k him!
#newbridgeornowhere

moysider

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 18, 2014, 11:42:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 18, 2014, 11:00:31 PM

f**k him!

Thought that a bit of a strange one too seafoid. Why the sympathy?

maigheo

Feel desperately sorry for Feeny even tho he deserved the black card.Can anybody imagine lasting 4 minutes in the biggest game of your life and then having to sit and watch your team eventually lose an all ireland final.If that is not sheer torture then I do not know what is.I have gained great respect for him after last years  all ireland final where he put down his non appearance to the managers wish to go in a different direction on the day .It must have been desperately disappointing for him on a personal level but he put that behind him and was Castlebars best player on there run to the all ireland final.

larryin89

Feeneys tweet is an honest one , just like his tweet after the Dublin game too. No more needs to be said on the issue.

I hope to Christ he gets a chance with Mayo now, he's a great asset and playing mighty stuff too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Bojangles

Hard for Feeney to be out for most of the club final but no defence possible - clearest bodycheck you could see and straight in front of the referee. A lot of players will reconsider this tactic having seen this example. Could actually see referee saying he had no option..

Milltown Row2

A bit like the Portlaois lad that got sent off in the All Ireland club semi final in the first minute. Was the easiest decision out in fairness and all that effort to get there ultimately cost them in that game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 18, 2014, 11:11:47 PM
Muppet he deliberately changes his body position to turn his shoulder into the Vincents man's chest. Mike is absolutely correct,  this is the exact type of offence that the blackcard was introduced to eradicate.  There was no ball to play and he shouldered him straight down the middle, the archetypal 3rd man tackle.

The Gif is very misleading as the camera, and anyone watching it, is following the ball and the Vincents player. Everything in the picture is moving from right to left, except Feeney. Thus it looks as if Feeney is the intruder in the scene. But Feeney is stationary. His left foot never leaves the ground, so the Gif doesn't do him any justice. Yes he turns his shoulder to the man. That is what most Gaa players do when there is a possibility of a collision and if the Vincent's player did the same, nothing would have happened. However the Vincent's player, who is clearly looking straight at Feeney, and who is the one moving, continues straight into Feeney.

That is why I am calling it a 70/30 or 80/20 decision. Yes it is a free, because Feeney leads with the shoulder and should only do that when the other player is leading with his shoulder. But while Feeney turns and sets himself up, his left foot never leaves the ground. He is actually stationary while the Vincent's player runs into him. Deliberate block or deliberate charge? Reasonable doubt in any book and no way deserving of having his season immediately ended.

To those blindly insisting that 'rules are rules', you don't mention common sense anywhere. This is the Sepp Blatter approach to refereeing, i.e. no thinking just follow my rules and imho is a very dangerous road to go down.
MWWSI 2017

J OGorman

Quote from: muppet on March 19, 2014, 09:44:41 AM

The Gif is very misleading as the camera, and anyone watching it, is following the ball and the Vincents player. Everything in the picture is moving from right to left, except Feeney. Thus it looks as if Feeney is the intruder in the scene. But Feeney is stationary. His left foot never leaves the ground, so the Gif doesn't do him any justice. Yes he turns his shoulder to the man. That is what most Gaa players do when there is a possibility of a collision and if the Vincent's player did the same, nothing would have happened. However the Vincent's player, who is clearly looking straight at Feeney, and who is the one moving, continues straight into Feeney.

That is why I am calling it a 70/30 or 80/20 decision. Yes it is a free, because Feeney leads with the shoulder and should only do that when the other player is leading with his shoulder. But while Feeney turns and sets himself up, his left foot never leaves the ground. He is actually stationary while the Vincent's player runs into him. Deliberate block or deliberate charge? Reasonable doubt in any book and no way deserving of having his season immediately ended.

To those blindly insisting that 'rules are rules', you don't mention common sense anywhere. This is the Sepp Blatter approach to refereeing, i.e. no thinking just follow my rules and imho is a very dangerous road to go down.

Muppet, its a black card all day long. The ref had no choice. He was almost apologising to Feeney. As boys have said, this is the example they will use in the future. Poor chap has to sit and watch his team for most of the most important match in their time...really really tough on him. Quality player who would have added so much to the final. Will make others think twice about body checking a man.

Hound

Quote from: Bojangles on March 19, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
Hard for Feeney to be out for most of the club final but no defence possible - clearest bodycheck you could see and straight in front of the referee. A lot of players will reconsider this tactic having seen this example. Could actually see referee saying he had no option..
The single biggest positive from the black card in the near removal of the off the ball body check that had become so prevalent. The ref had absolutely no option. Maybe Feeney just completely forgot about the rule.

Black cards are generally hard to get. People saying there should have been 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6!) black cards in the Derry-Dublin game are talking absolute horse manure.  I watched about 90% of the game, and there wasn't one additional black card incident that I saw.

orangeman

Quote from: Hound on March 19, 2014, 09:51:24 AM
Quote from: Bojangles on March 19, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
The single biggest positive from the black card in the near removal of the off the ball body check that had become so prevalent. The ref had absolutely no option. Maybe Feeney just completely forgot about the rule.

Black cards are generally hard to get. People saying there should have been 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6!) black cards in the Derry-Dublin game are talking absolute horse manure.  I watched about 90% of the game, and there wasn't one additional black card incident that I saw.

I've watched a lot of games recently and I would say that it depends to a fair degree on the referee.
I've seen referees almost not paying any heed to the new black card rule. I've seen refs giving a yellow card in lieu of a black. I've seen refs giving black cards for mistimed tackles where there was no intention of deliberately dragging down a player. And I've seen refs doing it properly but I would have to say that they're in the minority.

So I wouldn't agree that it's difficult to get a black card. Far from it.

INDIANA

I don't accept that one bit. You're trying to say in some way that our player was responsible for yours getting the line which is scandalous quite frankly.

Its very clear-cut. A deliberate body check is a black card offence. There is no semantics involved. Feeney could have just stood his ground but he didn't. He eyes him up and actually makes sure he puts a lot of power behind the body check ensuring that not only does he stop the player but that's there's a fair chance he'll leave him completely winded- which he did.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone who has to leave an AI Club final after 5 minutes. I wouldn't wish it on anyone especially as I know how much last Monday would have meant to the Feeney family after the last couple of years.

But that was a hare-brained a tackle as I've seen in a long time. Referee had no option.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on March 19, 2014, 10:09:02 AM

I don't accept that one bit. You're trying to say in some way that our player was responsible for yours getting the line which is scandalous quite frankly.

Its very clear-cut. A deliberate body check is a black card offence. There is no semantics involved. Feeney could have just stood his ground but he didn't. He eyes him up and actually makes sure he puts a lot of power behind the body check ensuring that not only does he stop the player but that's there's a fair chance he'll leave him completely winded- which he did.

I feel desperately sorry for anyone who has to leave an AI Club final after 5 minutes. I wouldn't wish it on anyone especially as I know how much last Monday would have meant to the Feeney family after the last couple of years.

But that was a hare-brained a tackle as I've seen in a long time. Referee had no option.

This all sounds great, but Feeney was stationary. His left foot never leaves the ground. Look at it again. The moving player is the one with all the momentum (the power as you call it). And I am not scandalously saying anything about your player. One is running and one is stationary. Who runs into who? He also 'eyes him up' as you put it. Feeney simply turns to meet him with his shoulder. Admittedly the elbow comes up afterwards which makes it look worse.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Can't see how its not a black card all day long. Feeney makes the movement and readys himself for the hit.

When we had a ref in giving us a talk on new rules one of the signs he said for a deliberate block off the ball was the offending player tensing himself to give the hit ie he will naturally protect himself to give/take the hit. You can see that Feeney does that and changes direction to meet the Vincents player.

Hard on Feeney but he can't have any complaints.