All-Ireland Club Semi Finals

Started by riptorn, January 14, 2014, 03:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 17, 2014, 05:10:16 PM
Agree moy, how in Christ's holy name did Holmes leave O'Reilly on Connolly is totally beyond me. Managerial genius??? Pffh.

And a campaign started already at home to replace Horan with this geezer. Jesus wept! you couldn t make it up.

Richie Feeney didn t help matters either. He could have done a job at the back and would def have added something going forward.

Anyway congrats to St. Vincents. They could have scored goals every time they went down the field.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Throw ball on March 17, 2014, 05:15:18 PM
Fantastic display by Connolly. Easiest MOTM pick ever in a club final

Since CiarĂ¡n McDonald 2001!

orangeman

St Vincents were on a different planet today with Connolly free to do whatever his undoubted talent permitted him to do.

He seemed to have so much time on the ball and to do with it whatever he wanted. He scored 2-5 and set up most of the rest. He passed a ball over for the full forward to palm into the net. I wouldn't be too sore on Castlebar management for affording Connolly the freedom of the park. Sometimes you just have to take your hat off to players like Connolly who when they hit a day like he did today, there was no stopping him.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on March 17, 2014, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on March 17, 2014, 05:01:26 PM
Quote from: CD on March 17, 2014, 04:58:07 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 17, 2014, 04:55:01 PM
In fairness Connolly having a great game, fine goal by him.
Fantastic. Always seems to have a few extra seconds on the ball. Makes it look easy. Best player today.

best forward in ireland on that display

He won t be marking Eoghan Reilly playing for the county.
How did Holmes not put Cuniffe on him. Very innocent stuff from Mitchels. Turned into a bit of a trimming.
Still they should improve. Should win county again anyway.
But they ll need to wise up.

Yes Connolly has great joy against loose marking defenders

Sheedy

well done st vincents. well deserved. Connolly was different class.
nil satis nisi optimum

rodney trotter

Quality performance from Connolly, he has great vision too. Hard luck to Castlebar

Main Street

That was an enjoyable game, well done to Vincents.
Though that Castlebar goalie might have given the best display in a final by a bearded goalie since Paddy Cullen.

saffronandblue

Quote from: moysider on March 17, 2014, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 17, 2014, 05:10:16 PM
Agree moy, how in Christ's holy name did Holmes leave O'Reilly on Connolly is totally beyond me. Managerial genius??? Pffh.

And a campaign started already at home to replace Horan with this geezer. Jesus wept! you couldn t make it up.

Richie Feeney didn t help matters either. He could have done a job at the back and would def have added something going forward.

Anyway congrats to St. Vincents. They could have scored goals every time they went down the field.

I reckon Holmes wanted to pass on the lesson that he had learned to Eoghan O'Reilly; he experienced at first hand from running around after Maurice Fitzgerald what it's like to be stuck marking a class player for a whole game.  Just shows you how well he learned his management craft from Maughan.  Mayo God help us, if he is our next county manager.

Well done to Vincents, great performance today.

On a positive note for Mayo, Tom Cunniffe, Barry Moran and young Patrick Durcan will be welcome additions to the Mayo senior set up.  I was really impressed with Durcan today.  He was class for Mayo minors a couple of seasons back and he is really starting to take it to the next level.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Main Street on March 17, 2014, 05:47:38 PM
That was an enjoyable game, well done to Vincents.
Though that Castlebar goalie might have given the best display in a final by a bearded goalie since Paddy Cullen.
Three certain goals he saved, if it was for Connolly given the freedom of the park he would have won MOTM.

Congrats to St Vincents.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

CSC

To the Mayo posters

Ref Eoghan O'Reilly

Was there any options available to Holmes, or was he the only man Castlebar had that could possibly do the job.

It's OK to have a go at Holmes, but I'm interested in the options he had beside putting someone else on him to get destroyed

moysider

Tom Cuniffe has the pace.
Richie Feeney couldn t have done any worse. His defense was left far too exposed. Needed an extra defender and needed to kick earlier ball on top of Barry Moran when they played him inside.

whitey

Quote from: CSC on March 17, 2014, 06:14:22 PM
To the Mayo posters

Ref Eoghan O'Reilly

Was there any options available to Holmes, or was he the only man Castlebar had that could possibly do the job.

It's OK to have a go at Holmes, but I'm interested in the options he had beside putting someone else on him to get destroyed

My guess is that they would have moved Feeney onto Moran and given Connolly to Cuniffe,  but that's a mute point at this juncture

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on March 17, 2014, 06:47:59 PM

Tom Cuniffe has the pace.
Richie Feeney couldn t have done any worse. His defense was left far too exposed. Needed an extra defender and needed to kick earlier ball on top of Barry Moran when they played him inside.

Then Quinn would have run amok. Cunniffe did really well today. Castlebar's day ended when Feeney got the line.

We were the better team because we had Connolly and Castlebar didn't he was the difference. It was a thankless task for a club player to mark Connolly. You needed a county player like Feeney on him.

Heart goes out to Castlebar. Losing a club final is losing a bride at the altar. Hope you get back fellas

Captain Obvious

Quote from: INDIANA on March 17, 2014, 07:01:08 PM
Then Quinn would have run amok. Cunniffe did really well today.
In fairness Quinn was very poor today and it wasn't anything to do with Tom Cunniffe marking him.

AZOffaly

Connolly was excellent today. He is a talented player and at that level he's unmarkable on that form. I thought some of Mitchell's forward play was very nervy or unsure of itself. Foostering we'd have called it back in the day.  What was the story with the Vincent's lad with the American flag? Is there a yank playing with them?