Dreambox

Started by Father Jack, January 09, 2014, 12:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

Quote from: take_yer_points on December 10, 2014, 04:42:57 PM
Quote from: WeeDonns on December 10, 2014, 01:40:38 PM
Shouldn't have to reconfigure
These guys that are charging you a "subscription", make sure they know what they're talking about. Quiz them on their server setup etc. Some of them are charging you for absolutely nothing

If you don't have a dish and don't want to put one up, you could get an android media player with xbmc installed

Something like this;Android MX or this is rated goodAndroid M8

just connect to your broadband (wifi or ethernet)

I have VU+ Solo linux box

and a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed

and the Raspberry Pi is every bit as reliable as the dreambox that I pay a subscription to. They use the same repositories & streams

Was just talking about the Pi today - going to add one to the list for Christmas. Good job? Are you streaming over wifi or Ethernet? Think I'm going to go with the B+ version
Yep, its a good job.
I'd recommend to anyone wanting to introduce their kids to a bit of programming. Minecraft is free for it. I've downloaded RetroPie for running all the old games for PS1,NES, SNES, MegaDrive, Atari etc You can use xbox,PS3, Wii controllers. Lots of interesting projects to take on if you get the time

I'm running over ethernet. I've got a wifi dongle for it but haven't properly tested it yet

I'd go for the B+ as you need the extra USB points, mine is a B

gerry

Quote from: take_yer_points on December 10, 2014, 04:42:57 PM
Quote from: WeeDonns on December 10, 2014, 01:40:38 PM
Shouldn't have to reconfigure
These guys that are charging you a "subscription", make sure they know what they're talking about. Quiz them on their server setup etc. Some of them are charging you for absolutely nothing

If you don't have a dish and don't want to put one up, you could get an android media player with xbmc installed

Something like this;Android MX or this is rated goodAndroid M8

just connect to your broadband (wifi or ethernet)

I have VU+ Solo linux box

and a Raspberry Pi with XBMC installed

and the Raspberry Pi is every bit as reliable as the dreambox that I pay a subscription to. They use the same repositories & streams

Was just talking about the Pi today - going to add one to the list for Christmas. Good job? Are you streaming over wifi or Ethernet? Think I'm going to go with the B+ version

is this a better option to watching 3pm games than a laptop connected to a tv screen. i currently use   cricfree tv or would it be the similar quality stream
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

WeeDonns

Well its better in that you can free up your laptop for £25

You can install xbmc (recently renamed kodi) on your laptop too. Install it, add the plugins you want and see how it compares
Some times you'll get a stream thats not working, but just move to the next one on the list

gerry

cheers, i give it ago, any addons you recommend
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

WeeDonns

Top 5 addons 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTBlfYVu0U
vdubt25 has lots of simple tutorials;
Live Tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tyw3cOd-pE
iStream is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ZMSfsIDRc
Mashup was a very good one but the developer recently released a patch deleting it from everyones devices
However, you can still install it following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxusNi7WL0
1Channel  & Genesis are also good.

BenDover

I'll have to try these add-ons. Navi-x is another one i use which has a bit of everything.

Anyway to cast xbmc to a chromecast?

WeeDonns

I find Navi-x a bit slow to load & exit, but has a huge amount of streams.

I've never used chrome cast but i think it is possible

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: BenDover on December 16, 2014, 07:23:11 PM
I'll have to try these add-ons. Navi-x is another one i use which has a bit of everything.

Anyway to cast xbmc to a chromecast?

I am useless and this stuff and don't know what xbmc is. However last night I managed to get showbox to stream to chromecast., which is a brilliant job.

• Download Showbox: http://androidforpc.info/download-show-box-for-android-application-for-viewing-tv-series-and-movies/
•   Download Avia: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.videon.android.mediaplayer
•   Make sure Unknown Sources is checked on phone/tablet settings under Security
•   Install both apps
•   Open up Showbox (Will look like this)
•   Pick whatever Movie/TV Show you want. In the next screen uncheck "Use internal player" and hit watch
•   A pop up will show asking to pick which source to view the show/movie and pick Avia
•   Avia will launch and at the top push the "Cast" icon
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BenDover

Just tried Showbox with LocalCast works no bother.

Tried to get the LiveTV addon working with Kodi ffs followed ask the steps and not seeing any change or menu option for Live TV/TV any idea what I've done wrong. Surely following a YouTube video can't b that hard.

WeeDonns

Go to System>Live TV>General>Enable Live TV and click on the checkbox. Live TV should now be an option on the main menu but you'll have no channels.
Follow the vdubt25 videos to add channels. Be sure to look in the comments of the videos as if the url changes for the repository it'll be posted there
Add-ons like iStream & phoenix also have live TV within them

BenDover

Do a bit of reading up on xbmc/kodi if you've an android phone or tablet you could try installing it on either of these to see what it is. I've it installed and it allows me to watch almost anything I want from live sports to the most recent movies, TV shows. There are a lot of other add-ons that enable you to do much more

Itchy

Sorry, I really haven't a clue on this stuff but one of the reviews on Amazon says it can stream sky sports from around the world. How can it do that?

macdanger2

Cheers LL

Itchy, you could probably steam SS to your TV with this through the Mobdro app

RealSpiritof98

whats the difference to the Android and the Chromecast, Chomecast usually picks up most streams but i i havnt been able to connect Mobdro from my tab. The cast icon is there and i connect to my device but it remains at 0% and doesnt upload.

Square Ball

Anyone got show box on a LG smart TV? I have movie box on the iPhone and iPad but can't get it on the TV, googling it gives allow 3rd party downloads but can't find how to do it
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid